Obama to announce $795 million in funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas

People complain that we're losing our place as the #1 superpower in the world. Well now that we are trying to dramatically upgrade our technological infrastructure, people here complain....and it's ONLY because it's being done under Obamas watch. I guarantee if it was under a republican all of you complaining would be saying that this is LONG overdue and what took so long.

I have a little small business that I have been developing and putting together....without high speed broadband, it will not be able to reach fruition....I would imagine, there could be hundreds of others around me with the same dilemma.

People complain that we're losing our place as the #1 superpower in the world. Well now that we are trying to dramatically upgrade our technological infrastructure, people here complain....and it's ONLY because it's being done under Obamas watch. I guarantee if it was under a republican all of you complaining would be saying that this is LONG overdue and what took so long.

Yea bringing broadband to the hood is going to help us maintain #1 superpower status in the world. How delusional can you get? :cuckoo:

Yea bringing broadband to the hood is going to help us maintain #1 superpower status in the world. How delusional can you get? :cuckoo:

Heh ... and I was thinking that this was more for the rural poor than the urban ... you know, people out in the sticks.

Last edited:

The hood? come on the hawk....sheesh!

Thanks for calling ME the hood....

FYI

CITIES ALREADY HAVE BROADBAND....

aLL of those people that have broadband now, do you think your phone and cable company paid the entire expense from it and nothing came from government that got you with it?

I understand that this may not be such a good time to do such...this is debatable...whether the stimulus money is best spent on our infrastructure or not....

Great we'll provide broadband for Democrat voters in the mean time we cut off unemployment benefits for those who are trying to get back to work, some of whom, I am sure are probably Democrat voters, but not all of them.

Where the hell are our priorities?

Immie

Great we'll provide broadband for Democrat voters in the mean time we cut off unemployment benefits for those who are trying to get back to work, some of whom, I am sure are probably Democrat voters, but not all of them.

Immie

Are you under the impression that this is meant to primarily benefit people who vote Dem?

Immie

the normal term for unemployment is 26 weeks....HOW MANY WEEKS do you propose us tax payers need to extend unemployment to? 52 weeks, 102 weeks? 204 weeks? where is your cut off?

Heh ... and I was thinking that this was more for the rural poor than the urban ... you know, people out in the sticks.

It is, he's decided not to use his brain.

Good point. If people in rural areas were as technologically advanced as say people in India...jobs might just go to them instead.

Immie

Is this serious? The primary demographic that will benefit from this are rural republicans. And the people who blocked the unemployment benefits continuing.....republicans.

C'mon Immie, don't lower yourself to that level. You're better then that.

Immie

Are you under the impression that this is meant to primarily benefit people who vote Dem?

Yes. Poor, is not necessarily "rural". Poor is inner city... the hood, the Democratic Havens. I wonder does it also provide computers to these poor people? After all, what good is broadband without computers? So, we bring broadband out to them and then since we weren't smart enough to realize that they could not afford computers, now we have to spend another $800 Billion to give them computers?

Immie

the normal term for unemployment is 26 weeks....HOW MANY WEEKS do you propose us tax payers need to extend unemployment to? 52 weeks, 102 weeks? 204 weeks? where is your cut off?

Until such a time as the Federal Government gets its head out of its ass and does something to put this economy (that it destroyed) on the road to recovery.

People do not need broadband! People do need food, shelter and clothing!

Immie

Yes. Poor, is not necessarily "rural". Poor is inner city... the hood, the Democratic Havens. I wonder does it also provide computers to these poor people? After all, what good is broadband without computers? So, we bring broadband out to them and then since we weren't smart enough to realize that they could not afford computers, now we have to spend another $800 Billion to give them computers?

You do realize that cities have broadband, right? It's the boondocks that don't.

Immie

Is this serious? The primary demographic that will benefit from this are rural republicans. And the people who blocked the unemployment benefits continuing.....republicans.

C'mon Immie, don't lower yourself to that level. You're better then that.

RDD,

I do not believe that. I believe that the people that will benefit from this are the inner cities... the hoods.

President Barack Obama on Friday announced new government investments in 66 projects to expand broadband connections in rural and poor areas across the country.

And quite frankly, I don't care if it didn't benefit one single Democratic voter. The fact is that this economy is f'd up and not getting any better. We should be focusing on getting people back to work, feeding the hungry and getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Broadband for those who can not afford computers let alone food on the table should not be a top priority.

Immie

Immie

Immie

Until such a time as the Federal Government gets its head out of its ass and does something to put this economy (that it destroyed) on the road to recovery.

Immie

Dude, how many urban areas do you think do not currently have the infrastructure in place for high speed internet right now? I'd say damned few

As for this spending, they aren't going to be giving anyone internet. Good God man. They are building the INFRASTRUCTURE so that broadband will be available to those who wish to purchase it. It cost my ISP $20K to install a wireless repeater near my farm so that my neighbors and I could enjoy broadband internet, they only did this last year; before that we had dial up or satellite, which sucks. I'm not as rural as some areas.

You do realize that cities have broadband, right? It's the boondocks that don't.

Not sure you are correct on that. And I will repeat my last two statements of import here:

Broadband for those who can not afford computers let alone food on the table should not be a top priority.

Our priorities are fucked up! Please excuse the French.

Immie

Forum List

Back