Obama to announce $795 million in funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas

Yes. Poor, is not necessarily "rural". Poor is inner city... the hood, the Democratic Havens. I wonder does it also provide computers to these poor people? After all, what good is broadband without computers? So, we bring broadband out to them and then since we weren't smart enough to realize that they could not afford computers, now we have to spend another $800 Billion to give them computers?

You do realize that cities have broadband, right? It's the boondocks that don't.

Not sure you are correct on that. And I will repeat my last two statements of import here:

People do not need broadband! People do need food, shelter and clothing!

Broadband for those who can not afford computers let alone food on the table should not be a top priority.

Our priorities are fucked up! Please excuse the French.

Immie

I think you are being a bit irrational.

Are you under the impression that this is meant to primarily benefit people who vote Dem?

Yes. Poor, is not necessarily "rural". Poor is inner city... the hood, the Democratic Havens. I wonder does it also provide computers to these poor people? After all, what good is broadband without computers? So, we bring broadband out to them and then since we weren't smart enough to realize that they could not afford computers, now we have to spend another $800 Billion to give them computers?

the normal term for unemployment is 26 weeks....HOW MANY WEEKS do you propose us tax payers need to extend unemployment to? 52 weeks, 102 weeks? 204 weeks? where is your cut off?

Until such a time as the Federal Government gets its head out of its ass and does something to put this economy (that it destroyed) on the road to recovery.

Immie

Dude, how many urban areas do you think do not currently have the infrastructure in place for high speed internet right now? I'd say damned few

As for this spending, they aren't going to be giving anyone internet. Good God man. They are building the INFRASTRUCTURE so that broadband will be available to those who wish to purchase it. It cost my ISP $20K to install a wireless repeater near my farm so that my neighbors and I could enjoy broadband internet, they only did this last year; before that we had dial up or satellite, which sucks. I'm not as rural as some areas.

"Dude" what is more important, feeding the poor or bringing them broadband access?

I guess the idea here is that they don't have to eat, but they have to be "in touch".

Immie

Until such a time as the Federal Government gets its head out of its ass and does something to put this economy (that it destroyed) on the road to recovery.

Immie

Dude, how many urban areas do you think do not currently have the infrastructure in place for high speed internet right now? I'd say damned few

As for this spending, they aren't going to be giving anyone internet. Good God man. They are building the INFRASTRUCTURE so that broadband will be available to those who wish to purchase it. It cost my ISP $20K to install a wireless repeater near my farm so that my neighbors and I could enjoy broadband internet, they only did this last year; before that we had dial up or satellite, which sucks. I'm not as rural as some areas.

"Dude" what is more important, feeding the poor or bringing them broadband access?

I guess the idea here is that they don't have to eat, but they have to be "in touch".

Immie

We have programs to help those who need food. This program won't take away from those programs.

Is now the right time to be spending this money? Personally I don't think so, but this isn't near as big of deal as you are making of it, and it won't just benefit democrats. Come on now.

:confused:

The poor are already being fed. Perhaps if the poor had the same choices as the rest of us, some of them would no longer be poor.

You do realize that cities have broadband, right? It's the boondocks that don't.

Not sure you are correct on that. And I will repeat my last two statements of import here:

Broadband for those who can not afford computers let alone food on the table should not be a top priority.

Immie

So? What else is new?

I'm unemployed. I'm trying to find a job. I am out of ideas on this and I am becoming depressed. Sending resumes to jobs that I never hear from again because 2500 other people applied for the same job and now, 5 months after having my job terminated the government tells me... we are cutting off your unemployment benefits next month, but have faith, in a short time your brothers in rural locations will have access to Broadband.

Thank you very much Mr. President. And put it where the sun don't shine, Mr. President!

Immie

Immie

So? What else is new?

I'm unemployed. I'm trying to find a job. I am out of ideas on this and I am becoming depressed. Sending resumes to jobs that I never hear from again because 2500 other people applied for the same job and now, 5 months after having my job terminated the government tells me... we are cutting off your unemployment benefits next month, but have faith, in a short time your brothers in rural locations will have access to Broadband.

Thank you very much Mr. President. And put it where the sun don't shine, Mr. President!

Immie

So, you're not so much mad about this spending as you are mad that the government is cutting off your welfare.... Odd that...........

Sorry to hear about your problems finding a job to.

Immie

We have programs to help those who need food. This program won't take away from those programs.

Is now the right time to be spending this money? Personally I don't think so, but this isn't near as big of deal as you are making of it, and it won't just benefit democrats. Come on now.

Really? We ended unemployment benefit extensions right after we put all those temporary census workers right back on the unemployment line, over 200 thousand back on the unemployment line, meaning over 200 thousand more people to compete for non-existant jobs. In the same month, we announce a plan to spend over 3/4 of a trillion dollars on a plan to expand broadband coverage.

Forgive me, but I think our priorities are screwed up here and I can survive a year or so without finding a job, even without benefits, but in doing so, I am going to deplete my savings. The President's priorities are screwed up.

Immie

Immie

Really? We ended unemployment benefit extensions right after we put all those temporary census workers right back on the unemployment line, over 200 thousand back on the unemployment line, meaning over 200 thousand more people to compete for non-existant jobs. In the same month, we announce a plan to spend over 3/4 of a trillion dollars on a plan to expand broadband coverage.

Forgive me, but I think our priorities are screwed up here and I can survive a year or so without finding a job, even without benefits, but in doing so, I am going to deplete my savings. The President's priorities are screwed up.

Immie

Hey, I think this guy is a whack job , horrible President to, but if we go around attacking everything he does no matter what it is, it just weakens the argument when we have a legitimate beef.

Immie

Hey, I think this guy is a whack job , horrible President to, but if we go around attacking everything he does no matter what it is, it just weakens the argument when we have a legitimate beef.

I don't attack everything he does.

I actually like the guy. In fact, I like him 10 times (at least) more than I ended up liking Bush. I just don't agree with Congress.

And I sure don't think we should be putting the man on a pedestal.

Our economy is in the toilet. I do not blame President Obama for that. I simply want him to work towards turning things around and broadband for the poor over food for the poor... well, food wins out in my books.

Immie

Immie

I actually like the guy. In fact, I like him 10 times (at least) more than I ended up liking Bush. I just don't agree with Congress.

Our economy is in the toilet. I do not blame President Obama for that. I simply want him to work towards turning things around and broadband for the poor over food for the poor... well, food wins out in my books.

Immie

Once again,
A) No one is doing without food to fund this
B) No one is actually going to "get broadband" from this, instead they will simply have ACCESS to broadband once the infrastructure is built.

Seeing as it is coming from the stimulus package, why not? Kids will have better access to the internet and be more in the mainstream. It will allow them to expand their horizons and from an academic standpoint, it can only help them educationally.

But I find it confusing as to why I hear about kids freezing to death in winters without proper clothing and people starving to death due to lack of food and why people are dying in ER's without healthcare (at least for the next year or so) and why THOSE things are not priorities first.

I wonder how many winter coats for children in those poor rural areas 800 million will buy?
Do you think those children prefer winter coats or faster internet?

I thought conservative volunteerism took care of problems like that.

At least that's what wingnuts keep telling me. Charity has fixed poverty and disadvantage in this country. That's why we can eliminate the social safety net,

and use the money we save to build some more schools and hospitals in Iraq and Afghanistan.

if you call a speed of 28k-56k, and keeping your phone line busy while on line, internet SERVICE, I can sell ya the brooklyn bridge....

it's useless! and a fricking NIGHTMARE! :eek:

Seriously? Even DSL is better than that and thats been around since Clinton days! And wherever there is a telephone pole Verizon is stringing its own fiber optic cable

You can get even wireless at a multiple of that speed today, do they have cell service there?

our phone lines are too antiquated...NO DSL, NO CABLE TV, no cable BROADBAND...

NO cell phone service at my home either.....

while for decades, we all have been paying extra fees to the cable and phone companies for them to use to add service to rural areas...? Why haven't they just done it.....

I call once a month the phone company here to complain and they have told me I will never get it....!!!! jerks!

And you have the choice to live there or not to.... you want service.. move... you can live with out it for the other benefits you have for living there... stay.... but this 'want' is not owed to anyone by the federal government

Immie

Once again,
B) No one is actually going to "get broadband" from this, instead they will simply have ACCESS to broadband once the infrastructure is built.

So just to be clear....

Are you saying that there are no people in the US that are doing without the bare essentials needed for life due to lack of funds for such?

I wonder how many winter coats for children in those poor rural areas 800 million will buy?
Do you think those children prefer winter coats or faster internet?

I thought conservative volunteerism took care of problems like that.

At least that's what wingnuts keep telling me. Charity has fixed poverty and disadvantage in this country. That's why we can eliminate the social safety net,

and use the money we save to build some more schools and hospitals in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You can eliminate the mandated 'social safety net' because you have the freedom to succeed that goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail

Nothing will ever 'fix' poverty... something entitlement junkie supporting leftists just cannot understand

Immie

Once again,

So just to be clear....

Are you saying that there are no people in the US that are doing without the bare essentials needed for life due to lack of funds for such?

No to be clear I am saying no money has been taken out of the SNAP program to fund this.

Forum List

Back