Obama seeks tax credits to aid veterans

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Obama seeks tax credits to help veterans get jobs - politics - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is asking Congress to approve new initiatives to help some of America's 1 million unemployed military veterans find work, including tax credits for companies that hire out-of-work vets.

As much as I appretiate this feel good attempt to help out my fellow Vets.

It's unfair to the rest of the UE and is nothing short of discrimination.

I was on the other side of one of these ideas when coal miners struck, the state of Il offered deep benefits to hire miners making it impossible for qualified applicants to get a job.

Hopefully calmer heads will prevail and something will be done that helps everyone and not another temp surge like cash for clunkers.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is asking Congress to approve new initiatives to help some of America's 1 million unemployed military veterans find work, including tax credits for companies that hire out-of-work vets.

I was on the other side of one of these ideas when coal miners struck, the state of Il offered deep benefits to hire miners making it impossible for qualified applicants to get a job.

Hopefully calmer heads will prevail and something will be done that helps everyone and not another temp surge like cash for clunkers.

This is a great idea! Unfortunately it wont have much of an effect as regulation remains the admins primary focus.

Many companies already give vets an advantage - some type of tax credit, which is good. They're doing it on their own without the assistance of the Anointed One. Now, if Obama really wanted to do something meaningful - he should give all of us vets TAX EXEMPTION status, vs. talking tax increases. Now that would improve his approval ratings, and God knows he needs it.

The country is broke.
The left is demanding an increase in taxes, especially on big biz.
This is a tax break, and big biz will get it.

Better to help everyone than commit the crime of discrimination.

Many companies already give vets an advantage - some type of tax credit, which is good. They're doing it on their own without the assistance of the Anointed One. Now, if Obama really wanted to do something meaningful - he should give all of us vets TAX EXEMPTION status, vs. talking tax increases. Now that would improve his approval ratings, and God knows he needs it.

Active duty used to be tax exempt. something about taxing tax money :lol:

Many states have application tests, Vets get 10 bonus points.

It's nice if a biz specifically wants to hire Vets, we have better discapline than the average American, that's great. But they don't need bribes to do so.

It's not discrimination, it's reward for risking their lives to uphold our Republic.

So that's the difference between a Vet getting a job and not getting a job? A Tax Credit? Who believes that shit?

So that's the difference between a Vet getting a job and not getting a job? A Tax Credit? Who believes that shit?

It will either work or it wont work. Implementing it costs nothing if it doesn't work, because they only get the tax credit if nthey hire a Vet.

It's not discrimination, it's reward for risking their lives to uphold our Republic.

We already get plenty. We have access to things you would love to have. But, neener neener, none for you.

Imagine a college grad. He's got a 4 year degree and a bucket of loans to pay off. He's an honor student to boot. He finds, finally finds, the job of his dreams, he's the perfect fit. Gets turned down b/c a Vet applied for the job and the company could use the money.

From first hand knowledge, that fucking sucks.

We didn't ask for head of the line privaledges or pampering. We asked to serve our country and get 3 hots and a cot. The rest is icing, more is just unfair.

We already get plenty. We have access to things you would love to have. But, neener neener, none for you.

Imagine a college grad. He's got a 4 year degree and a bucket of loans to pay off. He's an honor student to boot. He finds, finally finds, the job of his dreams, he's the perfect fit. Gets turned down b/c a Vet applied for the job and the company could use the money.

We didn't ask for head of the line privaledges or pampering. We asked to serve our country and get 3 hots and a cot. The rest is icing, more is just unfair.

Well, your scenario sucks because Companies hire employees because, and only because, adding the employee helps make them money. They don't tend to hire people at a net loss because that's just stupid.

So if they Hire a Vet for a simple tax credit as opposed to Johnny College grad who will make them BANK, that's just asinine and not realistic an example.

Not me.

Knowing Obama - it'll be a tax credit of $200 - or something meaningless like that.

He could give a rat's ass about the military. I don't know who he's trying to fool.

Not me.

Knowing Obama - it'll be a tax credit of $200 - or something meaningless like that.

He could give a rat's ass about the military. I don't know who he's trying to fool.

Im willing to wait and see what it is before I pass judgment.

This is all about democrats seeking to grab onto another voting block that has historically voted Republican. More of Johnson's "Great Society"

As one who believes it is in the best interest for all teens to experience the military for 2 years before college or career...

I agree with you. Those that enter the military voluntarily deserve some sort of reward for not only their possible sacrifice ogf health, but their sacrifice of time...and to be put in front of the line for a job is fine with me.

It is not discrimination as every other propspective employee is ALSO afforded the right to spend time in the military...and if they choose not to, thats fine...

Some choose not to go to college....and that may slow their careers down.

Others choose to go to grad school...that too slows their careers down.

There is no discrimination here......I like the idea.

Kudo to Obama if he makes it work....and makes it truly worth it to the corporations.

This is all about democrats seeking to grab onto another voting block that has historically voted Republican. More of Johnson's "Great Society"

Likely true but hopefully with a positive outcome (in that it works to help employment for Vets)

Likely true but hopefully with a positive outcome (in that it works to help employment for Vets)

Likely true?

I dont agree...maybe true?

Why do we have to assume that every good thing a President does is in the interest of votes?

Isnt it possible that he is sick and tired of brave Americans coming home to home foreclosures and car reposessions?

I am...and I dont need no stinkin votes.

Likely true?

Why do we have to assume that every good thing a President does is in the interest of votes?

Isnt it possible that he is sick and tired of brave Americans coming home to home foreclosures and car reposessions?

Well, I can't pretend to know what's in his heart but I also can't pretend that he's not had bad unemployment for a while now and this suddenly comes on the Campaign trail.

I have held the belief all along that everyone in Washington is working towards the same goal, and that's whatever whoever's paying them under the table says it is.

Likely true?

Well, I can't pretend to know what's in his heart but I also can't pretend that he's not had bad unemployment for a while now and this suddenly comes on the Campaign trail.

I have held the belief all along that everyone in Washington is working towards the same goal, and that's whatever whoever's paying them under the table says it is.

I agree with yourtheory for 99% of the initiatives that come out of Washington.

I am not so sure this was not coming from his heart...

It is very hard to "buy" a soldiers vote.

Well, your scenario sucks because Companies hire employees because, and only because, adding the employee helps make them money. They don't tend to hire people at a net loss because that's just stupid.

So if they Hire a Vet for a simple tax credit as opposed to Johnny College grad who will make them BANK, that's just asinine and not realistic an example.

Well then you just called the DNC of Illinois asinine.

Miners went on strike, the owners closed the mines, the union went to the dnc, they passed a ruling that companies got money to hire miners. many qualified people, like me, didn't get jobs just so miners would be hired for the money.

Forum List

Back