Obama retakes oath of office

According to NPR, there are a few presidents that never took the oath at all.

This is false. Chester Arthur and Calvin Coolidge were two other presidents who had to RE-TAKE it, but none have ever not taken it at all.

It's a constitutional requirement. Plain and simple.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the term starting on 1/20 at noon, and the oath being required, are dually necessary to the legal process.

The oath being recited was an original part of the constitution. The amendment stating the day and time was added much later. The former was ALWAYS the requirement, and always will be.

Therefore, it stands to reason that official record ought to have the oath as being properly recited, hence the re-do.
I agree with you but I am sure one of the reasons they have the amendment is the same reason they have a 'designated successor'. Give you example: say during the inauguration the capitol gets attacked at 12:03pm they have to be clear who is calling the shots or the wording is wrong and the president has to take the oath over but in the time before that we have a President and he is able to act as President!

Could be...I couldn't find any confirmation, but I haven't looked very hard. Personally I think Roberts should be impeached over this grave misdeed.

geezus Ravi...they fucked up....you ever fuck up?....or should we start calling you Jesus?.....

There's a part that says that?

You must have read a different constitution than I did.

The one I read specifically states this in Article II, Section I:

And that's probably why they re-did the oath, because it needs to be clearly on record that it was recited exactly the way its required.

Obama actually became president while seated, listening to music | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Twentieth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Sorry Paulie, looks like you didn't read the constitution correctly. :lol:

Last edited:
Bush's term ended precisely noon. Barack Obama is not officially president until he is sworn in.

The vice president elect holds the position until that happens, but only once he is sworn in.

So then it would fall to the Speaker of the House. But only if she would resign her position first, which Nancy Pelosi obviously did not.

Next in line is the President of the Senate, but again only if Robert Byrd would resign his position. And of course he did not.

And the next in the line of succession goes to the current Secretary of State. Condi's position did not end at noon as did Bush and Cheney's. So Condoleezza Rice was president of the United States of America from 12:00 to 12:01 when Joe Biden was sworn in.

That would make Condi the first black president and also the first female president.

CONGRATULATIONS MADAME PRESIDENT! :lol:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the term starting on 1/20 at noon, and the oath being required, are dually necessary to the legal process.

The oath being recited was an original part of the constitution. The amendment stating the day and time was added much later. The former was ALWAYS the requirement, and always will be.

Therefore, it stands to reason that official record ought to have the oath as being properly recited, hence the re-do.

$LOL-Owl.jpg

If that's the case, you can't drink alcohol then.

18th Amendment: Prohibition of alcohol

21th Amendment: Repealed the 18th.

But by your logic, we'd always follow the 18th before any after.

Bush's term ended precisely noon. Barack Obama is not officially president until he is sworn in.

The vice president elect holds the position until that happens, but only once he is sworn in.

So then it would fall to the Speaker of the House. But only if she would resign her position first, which Nancy Pelosi obviously did not.

Next in line is the President of the Senate, but again only if Robert Byrd would resign his position. And of course he did not.

And the next in the line of succession goes to the current Secretary of State. Condi's position did not end at noon as did Bush and Cheney's. So Condoleezza Rice was president of the United States of America from 12:00 to 12:01 when Joe Biden was sworn in.

That would make Condi the first black president and also the first female president.

CONGRATULATIONS MADAME PRESIDENT! :lol:

Don't you wish that was true.

Though if that's the case, Condi doesn't qualify either since she DIDN'T TAKE THE OATH prescribed in Art. II, Sec. 1, cl. 8. :lol:

Going by your logic, nobody was president for a minute.

Last edited:
Biden was sworn in before Obama. Technically, he was president for about five minutes as the ceremony was running late.

Biden was sworn in before Obama. Technically, he was president for about five minutes as the ceremony was running late.

That would be technically correct IF the oath is required.

As the 20th overrides the 2nd on the matter, Obama became President at noon.

The 20th doesn't override the 2nd, it simply is required in addition to, unless stated otherwise.

Perhaps, I've seen it argued from both sides and I'm not convinced either way. But as Obama is president it's mostly just sour grapes on the wingnuts part.

Not that I don't enjoy watching them cry.

The 20th doesn't override the 2nd, it simply is required in addition to, unless stated otherwise.

:lol: They would be in direct violation of each other then.

One states he becomes President on January 20th at noon no matter what.

The other states he must take the oath first.

Only one can be right.

Forum List

Back