Obama on dtv switch" there will NOT be another delay"

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
Obama Has No Patience for Digital-TV-Convergence-Preparation Slackers: President Says "There Will Not Be Another Delay"
President Barack Obama warned Americans last week who have not prepared for the June 12 transition to digital television that their TVs could go dark if they do not get a converter box soon. "I want to be clear: there will not be another delay. I urge everyone who is not yet prepared to act today, so you don't lose important news and emergency information on June 12," Obama said in a statement, Reuters reports.

Congress originally mandated the nation's nearly 1,800 full-power television stations to switch to digital signals from analog on Feb. 17, and about one-third did so at the time. But fearing that as many as 20 million mostly poor, elderly and rural households were not ready, lawmakers voted early this year to postpone the transition almost four months. "The number of households unprepared for digital television has been cut in half. Still, some people are not ready," said Obama, reports Reuters writer Doug Palmer.

"I encourage all Americans who are prepared to talk to their friends, family, and neighbors to make sure they get ready before it's too late," Obama said.

The switch is intended to free up airwaves for broadband and enhanced emergency communications for police, firefighters and other first responders. A converter box for TVs that now rely on an antenna to receive a broadcast signal costs between $40 and $80.

Bulldog Reporter - Daily Dog | Previous Stories | Obama Has No Patience for Digital-TV-Convergence-Preparation Slackers: President Says "There Will Not Be Another Delay"

Warning to all Americans:

This is how your Gubamint Health Care will be run.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

The only truthful portion of the article:

"I encourage all Americans who are prepared to talk to their friends, family, and neighbors to make sure they get ready before it's too late," Obama said.

Last edited:
I got a converter box in January, but haven't set it up yet. I'm now down to three local channels. I think I'll let the whole thing go dark once the other channels switch over. There's nothing on TV anymore anyway. Why do people feel they need a TV (much less to waste money on cable, "premium" channels, etc). Its all amoral filth. The sooner it stops coming into my home the better. Good ridance. You don't have to be a slave to it just because other people are. Think for yourself.

Obama Has No Patience for Digital-TV-Convergence-Preparation Slackers: President Says "There Will Not Be Another Delay"
President Barack Obama warned Americans last week who have not prepared for the June 12 transition to digital television that their TVs could go dark if they do not get a converter box soon. "I want to be clear: there will not be another delay. I urge everyone who is not yet prepared to act today, so you don't lose important news and emergency information on June 12," Obama said in a statement, Reuters reports.

Congress originally mandated the nation's nearly 1,800 full-power television stations to switch to digital signals from analog on Feb. 17, and about one-third did so at the time. But fearing that as many as 20 million mostly poor, elderly and rural households were not ready, lawmakers voted early this year to postpone the transition almost four months. "The number of households unprepared for digital television has been cut in half. Still, some people are not ready," said Obama, reports Reuters writer Doug Palmer.

The switch is intended to free up airwaves for broadband and enhanced emergency communications for police, firefighters and other first responders. A converter box for TVs that now rely on an antenna to receive a broadcast signal costs between $40 and $80.

Bulldog Reporter - Daily Dog | Previous Stories | Obama Has No Patience for Digital-TV-Convergence-Preparation Slackers: President Says "There Will Not Be Another Delay"

There shouldn't have been a delay in the first place. The information was out there, the converter boxes were available, people were given ample time to do whatever they needed to do. But when the stim package rolled around - that's when this conversion thing got pushed back. Didn't they get an additional $650M for this in the stim package?

Forum List

Back