Obama on 60 Minutes

Yeah, how dare he laugh.

He should have thrown on a flight suit and strutted around saying mission accompished.

That seems to impress some folks tremendously.

Yes Ed,

And Obama has proven lately he has a terrific sense of humor! I'm just saying it's a little off the wall, and it's more than just laughs. Bush actually could laugh at himself. I wonder about Obama. Can he do that without making it about others in the process?

Is there any wonder, in that light, that he stays away from venues like the Gridiron, etc?

Yeah, why don't you just kep on asking yourself.

Meanwhile the rest of us will stop trying to make the President fail and support the only plan we have. If the Repubs don't think that this is the right plan, then they should come up with an alternative.

Oh, that's right, they don't have an alternative, they can just say NO!

Wow. Mr Troll can actually make a semi-coherent post. I'm impressed. Not with how politically stupid you obviously are ... just the fact this is the first time I recall you posting anything but c&p nonsense.

This is about "Human Nature", not so much about Obama's appearance on 60 Minutes which is running paralell on this Forum.

Why does Obama laugh so inappropriately?
When I see someone laugh in an atmosphere of absolute seriousness, I’m given to wonder about what’s going on in their head at that moment. Bush was hugely criticized because of his occasional smirk. It was the smirk said to your questioner, “Are you dead serious with this damned question?”.... and all that that sentiment implied about his questioners/interviewers. But there seems to be some other meaning about this display of inappropriate laughing. He seems to be overwhelmed by laughter, almost to the point of giggling. But giggling implies nervousness, and Obama is the “coolest” of operators.

As CBS News' Steve Kroft noted in a 60 Minutes talk with Obama last night that just 18 percent of those surveyed support it, Obama said with a laugh: "It's not a high number.''
"You're sitting here. And you are laughing,'' Kroft said. "You are laughing about some of these problems. Are people gonna look at this and say, 'I mean, he's sitting there just making jokes about money.' How do you deal with, I mean, explain the...mood and your laughter... Are you punch drunk?"

"No, no. There's gotta be a little gallows humor to get you through the day," the president explained. "You know, sometimes my team talks about the fact that if you had said to us a year ago that the least of my problems would be Iraq, which is still a pretty serious problem, I don't think anybody would have believed it. But we've got a lot on our plate. And a lot of difficult decisions that we're gonna have to make."

Imagine someone at a funeral; say a family member, and in that most serious of circumstances finds a great deal of humor in the situation. At first you might be a little startled. Then you might wonder, what is going on in this persons mind?

There is something in Obama’s laughter, like that of a consumate game player, which says that he is happy with the situation he finds himself in. Shouldn’t we ask ourselves, what is really going on in Obama’s mind?

Here’s the full interview; about 20 minutes in length, with both video and printed text.

I can't really judge Obama on this one. I'm THAT guy that under pressure is a sarcastic smartass from Hell. Hard to believe, I know.:eusa_angel:

I take a LOT of flak over it.

Maybe he laughs because he's FUCKING NERVOUS? I'd be more worried if he wasn't. The future of our country hangs in the balance, and to see that the pressure is having an effect on his composure is a good sign that he's taking it as seriously as it deserves to be taken.

If he's nervous, it isn't because he's worried about our future. More like he's worried about HIS future.

what did it say about Bushs charactor when our soldiers were dying in Iraq while he joked in the Oval office on tape about "where are those WMDs"?

It was humor in the face of horrible times.

Grow a pair and learn a little fairness.

The leftwingfreaks here acted as if Bush was out shooting US troops himself. THAT is how that went down, so put a cork in your hypocrisy.

You appear to be correct. I am mistaken on when I heard of the possible bonus veto, apparently. I thought I'd heard a rumble of it Friday, when the Senate took up the bill after it passed the House.

I also viewed the 60 Minutes video again, and I have to re-evaluate my position on that. It wasn't a hard news piece, it was a feature and that as it was, Obama did really well. It was more casual but also more in-depth than just a sit-down hard news interview. One thing about him, he's a smooth talker. He's gone to finishing school so to speak, on presenting himself. And clearly lots of people watched, it was one of 60 Minutes highest rated segments of the last couple of years.

So, your theory looks as good as anyone's. The possible veto was a catalyst, the highly distressed blue chip stocks to be had on the cheap was the reason.

Of course you do realize there will be a big sell-off sometime this week, if not starting tomorrow. I still think there was alot of buying of highly distressed stocks today by folks who don't intend on holding them very long.

Do you think if Obama kept an always positive tone and message, consistently "talked up" the economy, it would greatly speed up the recovery? After re-watching the 60 Minutes segment, I do.

Investors were spooked by the House passing the bill, which is a terrible bill because it makes it less likely that investors will participate in the government programs. I understand the anger and frustration - people should be very upset - but its bad legislation. So the fact that it would be defeated makes it more likely that the government's plan would work. That is certainly not the only reason why the market went up hard today, but it was one.

I have no problem with Obama talking up the economy. I had no problem with Bush doing it either. (I had a problem with Phil Gramm calling Americans whiners.) I think it is the President's job to convey a sense of optimism. Optimism plays very well with the American people because Americans are optimistic by nature. That was one of the brilliant features of Reagan. How much of Obama's happy-talk really makes a difference, I don't know, but I do know that talking down the economy hurts.

The market may go down hard some time this week. I have no idea. We are very overbought and could sell down hard.

he joked in the Oval office on tape about "where are those WMDs"?
No, he did not. That wasn't in the Oval Office. That was at the correspondents' charity dinner, a comic roast. It was from his opening monologue and carried on live TV. He was being self-deprecating. Please try to at least get SOME facts straight. Unless, truth does NOT matter to you. Which, apparently it doesn't.

Keep up stupid stuff like that, and Gunny or some Mod with a great sense of humor might do you a username change. I'd suggest "TruthmattersNot."

I have no problem with Obama talking up the economy. I had no problem with Bush doing it either. (I had a problem with Phil Gramm calling Americans whiners.) I think it is the President's job to convey a sense of optimism. Optimism plays very well with the American people because Americans are optimistic by nature. That was one of the brilliant features of Reagan. How much of Obama's happy-talk really makes a difference, I don't know, but I do know that talking down the economy hurts.
It's the Pygmalion Effect, the self-fulfilling prophesy. And it works both ways. But when you plant negative seeds, weeds grow and they grow alot faster than if you're planting roses. Hopefully Obama's learned that finally.
The market may go down hard some time this week. I have no idea. We are very overbought and could sell down hard.
This instability will continue, I predict. And I agree it's overbought right at the moment especially after today.

He was much more impressive with O'Reilly, an interview which did him a world of good. I seriously doubt however, that he'll return to the Factor. There won't be any softballs pitched there and now that he's chief executive, O'Reilly won't go easy.

I don't think he should or would go back on the Factor at this point. He might as we get into his 2012 campaign.

Really it will depend on the midterm elections and how they go.

That would be typical of him,, abandon his present job and go on the campaign trail.. that's what he did two weeks after entering the senate. no big surprise there.

Last night proved that if you like him, then you thought he did well. If you hate him(like the Cons on this board make painfully obvious), then you thought he sucked.

But any of you that thought he was terrible, to me, prove just how fucking crazy you are. There is no way, after 8 years of a fucking chimpanzee as a president, you can't say that its refreshing to hear someone actually use complete sentences and vocabulary that many in the audience probably don't know. He's actually RAISING the bar, not lowering it like the chimp did

why is it painful? you deserve every ounce of disrespect dished out to you.

Maybe he laughs because he's FUCKING NERVOUS? I'd be more worried if he wasn't. The future of our country hangs in the balance, and to see that the pressure is having an effect on his composure is a good sign that he's taking it as seriously as it deserves to be taken.

How the hell do you come up with that?? This guy is the definition of suave, Mr. "Kool", Mr. "Chill the Fuck Out I've Got This". This guy thrives on attention so much so, that he can't not keep on campaigning in front of live audiences every single week all over the country. Nervous my ass. I think he's settling into his position and likes how it feels being wrapped in power - quite the head trip, don't ya think? His laughter comes across as smugness to me.

support the only plan we have.
Which so far is, more of the same from the last eight years.

That and MUCH MORE spending and increasing the size and scope of government.
and since MOST of the conservatives opposed it when Bush and congress were doing it, why should we support it when Obama and congress are doing it?

Not sure about that. Most Republicans supported the Iraq War.

Doesn't at all excuse Obama's to continue bankrupting our country, but it's not like most of the Republicans in office of the last 8 years, including McCain, are that much better. The tax cuts were hardly tax cuts, and spending increased more than any other President since LBJ.

Which so far is, more of the same from the last eight years.

That and MUCH MORE spending and increasing the size and scope of government.
and since MOST of the conservatives opposed it when Bush and congress were doing it, why should we support it when Obama and congress are doing it?

Not sure about that. Most Republicans supported the Iraq War.

Doesn't at all excuse Obama's to continue bankrupting our country, but it's not like most of the Republicans in office of the last 8 years, including McCain, are that much better. The tax cuts were hardly tax cuts, and spending increased more than any other President since LBJ.
you are confusing "Conservatives" with "Republicans"

Good for him. Bush was in tears his last few months in office...and btw, so was McCain. A little levity is often a sign that you aren't defeated by events.:eusa_whistle:

Or too stupid to realize you are. Kind of like you in just about any debate you've ever engaged in.
Name one, Gunny. And what's up with the personal attack? Trying to impress dcon?

Forum List

Back