CDZ Obama official: We could have stopped Russian trolls

Ame®icano

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2008
Michigan
According to Brett Bruen, the threat was real and he pitched an idea to State Department and to the National Security Council, to counter Russian propaganda targeted at US allies, and later US, but officials at State failed to recognize the threat and ask WH for funding.

Brett Bruen, who served as the White House director of global engagement from 2013 to 2015, said he warned colleagues on President Barack Obama's National Security Council in 2014 that America would be targeted by Russian trolls. His warnings came after he saw how the Russians used the same methods - social media meddling and propaganda - to sow discord during Ukraine's election in 2014.

Obama official: We could have stopped Russian trolls

Cyber is a new warfare, has been for years, from power grids to elections. Hardening these targets including subtle counter attacks are needed. White House and NSC were warned, they all knew about threat, yet they did nothing to prevent it. Once they lost the election, they dropped the ball on Trump, as he has any control over it.

The question is, why they haven't done anything when they had a chance?

According to Brett Bruen, the threat was real and he pitched an idea to State Department and to the National Security Council, to counter Russian propaganda targeted at US allies, and later US, but officials at State failed to recognize the threat and ask WH for funding.

Brett Bruen, who served as the White House director of global engagement from 2013 to 2015, said he warned colleagues on President Barack Obama's National Security Council in 2014 that America would be targeted by Russian trolls. His warnings came after he saw how the Russians used the same methods - social media meddling and propaganda - to sow discord during Ukraine's election in 2014.

Obama official: We could have stopped Russian trolls

Cyber is a new warfare, has been for years, from power grids to elections. Hardening these targets including subtle counter attacks are needed. White House and NSC were warned, they all knew about threat, yet they did nothing to prevent it. Once they lost the election, they dropped the ball on Trump, as he has any control over it.

The question is, why they haven't done anything when they had a chance?

I dunno if we could have stopped it. Heck, if I were Vlad and I wanted to get fake news on facebook all I'd have to do is send some links to some of my fellow board members here and they'd do it for me.

Obama especially in the 2nd go around did not overly impress me FWIW. Needless to say he did not stop it. There was probably a tight line to ride between regulating and being claimed to limit free speech on Facebook. Thanks for the link. I'll have to look more into it.

Forum List

Back