Obama leaves campaign to be with ailing grandmother

Obama's Grandmother 'Gravely Ill' With Broken Hip, Relatives Say - FOXNews.com Elections

Barack Obama's 85-year-old grandmother broke her hip recently and is "gravely ill," her brother said Tuesday.

Madelyn Payne Dunham, who helped to raise Obama, "has not been well for a long time. Then she fell and broke her hip fairly recently," Charles Payne said in a telephone interview from his home in Chicago. "She's unhappy with the condition that she's in, I can tell you that."

Payne, who is Obama's great-uncle, said his sister was hospitalized briefly but is back home in her Honolulu apartment, where Obama's sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, cares for her. Obama plans to suspend campaigning later this week to visit his grandmother, and Payne is planning to fly there for her 86th birthday, which is Sunday.

Well I did say "Get well soon Grandma"

This campaign is beginning to look like something from the movie Omen.

Though I won't be voting for obama, regardless of grandma, it will be nice if he wins.
I can quit working and live off the rich.

In sounds like you live off your mommy in her basement as it is so living off the rich might actually improve life for someone...mainly your mother.

Well I did say "Get well soon Grandma"

This campaign is beginning to look like something from the movie Omen.

Though I won't be voting for obama, regardless of grandma, it will be nice if he wins.
I can quit working and live off the rich.

Then that's what you should do. If they have it so well, you should absolutely take up that lifestyle. Go to the public library for about 3 hours a day and get online and tell us how it's working out for you.

I fear for the future of a country where a public figure is questioned for suspending his campaign and doing his job in a time of crisis.

Damn, you're like the most repetitious and ignorant thing. McCAIN NEVER SUSPENDED HIS CAMPAIGN. His campaign was fully operational.

And Obama only suspended his campaign to the extent that he canceled events so he COULD FLY TO HAWAII TO SEE HIS GRANDMOTHER.

Can you read that and understand it throught the haze of the smoke filled room?

I fear for the future of a country where a public figure is questioned for suspending his campaign and doing his job in a time of crisis.

Yeah Stoner. You are on of the few people here with any logic. Well, cept for the rest of we conservatives..

Damn, you're like the most repetitious and ignorant thing. McCAIN NEVER SUSPENDED HIS CAMPAIGN. His campaign was fully operational.

And Obama only suspended his campaign to the extent that he canceled events so he COULD FLY TO HAWAII TO SEE HIS GRANDMOTHER.

Can you read that and understand it throught the haze of the smoke filled room?

so obama didn't suspend his campaign? his ads are running, i assume his web site is up, etc. so how is his campaign suspended but mccain's wasn't?

so obama didn't suspend his campaign? his ads are running, i assume his web site is up, etc. so how is his campaign suspended but mccain's wasn't?

Obama is canceling other campaign events Thursday and Friday and will return to the campaign trail Saturday, Gibbs said.

From the indystar.com link

Maybe they both mean campaigning,,,,the others on their staff can keep things up and running such as web sites, ads, etc, don't you think?

From the indystar.com link

Maybe they both mean campaigning,,,,the others on their staff can keep things up and running such as web sites, ads, etc, don't you think?

yeah, probably. there just seemed to be a lot of fingerpointing and accusations when mccain said he was suspending his campaign and did pretty much the same thing obama's doing. it strikes me as unfair.

He said he would suspend his campaign and not go to the debate until the crisis was resolved by having a consensus on legislation. He did not fully suspend his campaign, he was not needed to help the situation, he attended the debate anyway, and he returned to full campaigning without having resolved the situation by reaching a consensus. By making a dramatic announcement and then not following through he made his actions look like a stunt for attention whatever his original intentions were.

yeah, probably. there just seemed to be a lot of fingerpointing and accusations when mccain said he was suspending his campaign and did pretty much the same thing obama's doing. it strikes me as unfair.

There's no crying in baseball del.

I think the point that most people would say differentiates the two is that McCain made a big speech about suspending his campaign calling for Obama to join him and placing it in the context of all politics should cease due to the national crisis. Many people reasonably questioned how someone who had not been involved in the process up to that point could step in and overcome all the obstacles.

Obama did not even mention the suspension himself, and though many articles I've looked at state that officials said he was suspending his campaign, the only direct quotes I can find is of officials saying that he will cancel campaign events later this week. Maybe he said suspend it, maybe that's just the press' interpretation, it's hard to tell.

In any case, I think if John McCain had privately met with the Obama campaign and earnestly discussed with him the necessity of suspending all politics to work on legislation and then, if Obama agreed they could make a joint announcement, or if Obama disagreed could make the announcement adding the fact that he tried to convince Obama to do the same but he refused, he would have had much less suspicion that it was a political stunt.

If Obama wanted to do some political grandstanding with this issue, instead of having his aids quietly give a statement, he could have held a press conference and presented it to the public at large in person (exhibiting his decency and family values, while also garnering more sympathy) and closed with a dramatic plea for the thoughts and prayers of America.

I think the approaches to the situations and inherent differences in the reasons make the situations less similar than they seem at first glance.

EZ, i lived through 1967, 1975, bucky fucking dent in 1978, bill buckner in 1986 and grady little leaving pedro in too long in game 7 ALCS 2003.

i've got nothing to cry about. it's not like i'm a cubs fan or something.
;)

Oh, that hurt del, that hurt deep man.................:(

Sorry zulu. Shadenfreude. I'm guilty.

Heck, I've been a Cubs fan since I was a kid, I'm used to it............

I remember watching Cubs games with my grandparents when they babysat me back in the day.

Maybe they will win one before my 13 year old daughter turns 50!

Forum List

Back