Obama kicks WWII vets out into the streets.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Once again, in the search for the "Feeling" of doing something, thanks to Obama and the Democrats who cheer him, people are getting hurt.

This time it's WWII vets who are being kicked out of Assisted Living places to live in the streets if they don't have a family to move in with.

Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - Tea Party

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It’s an unintended consequence of President Obama’s executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Sandy Franks, public affairs officer at Shreveport’s Overton Brooks V. A. Medical Center, explains that nursing homes that have contracts for subsidized care from the Veterans Administration become federal contractors. If they refuse to raise their wages, their contracts will not be renewed.

Former Marine A.J. Crain just wheeled himself into his new room at Shreveport Manor on Mansfield Road when he got the news that the home’s contract will end this month

“We fought all your wars, and now we’re broke. Where do we go from here?” Crain asks.

“We gotta go. Simple as that. We gotta go,” says Vietnam War Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient John Washington.

“I think it’s very wrong. I think it’s very distasteful,” Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor’s decision. ”I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going,” he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Shreveport Manor is owned by Gamble Guest Care. Their Chief Operating Officer says if they raise wages for workers there, they have to do that at all eight of their facilities.

In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, “The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. As such, many long term care providers have indicated that they will no longer seek or renew V.A. contracts.”

Franks at the V.A. agrees that this has the potential to be a national problem as more V.A. contracts with nursing homes expire.

“We will deal with it on a case by case basis,” Franks says. “We will work the families and try to provide the most convenient, and the nursing homes that are up to our standards to take care of our veterans.”

“I’m not too happy over the situation,” grumbles former Navy sailor Charles Shufflin at Shreveport Manor.

Shufflin hasn’t even bothered unpacking his boxes of belongings since he has a place to go. His daughter Vickie Carrington is making room at her house.

“For my dad, I love him,” she says, kissing him on the forehead.

“I’m not so worried about myself,” Shufflin says, “but the veterans that have no place to live.”

“There’s a lot of people out there that have fought for our country,” Carrington adds, choking back tears. “And the ones that don’t have family members to take them in to take care of them, where are they going to go?”

The V.A. says they’ll look for space at other V. A. nursing homes, war veterans homes, or veteran community living centers.

Gamble’s Machen says the company will try to keep its veterans in place by looking for other forms of reimbursement, such as Medicare and Medicaid. He says only about one percent of their residents are affected.

Shufflin and Crain had just moved into Shreveport Manor from Rose View Nursing Center across the street, after the V.A. recently deemed Rose View had fallen below V. A. standards. So those vets would be moving for the second time in as many months.

Way to go Obama.. In trying to buy votes for the Democrats this fall, you've managed to hurt those who have already served this country...

I know... I know.. They're Veterans. You don't give a damned about them. They are just old white people.

I know... I know.. They're Veterans. You don't give a damned about them. They are just old white people.

WTF does race have to do with it? My grandfather is a veteran of WWII...but he is black, so I guess you don't care.

I know, I know....everyone is racist but you!

This is what you get when you use a pen and a phone instead of using Constitutional methods. Maybe we'll finally get some bipartisan action to fix his mess.

I'm still trying to figure out WTF race has to do with this issue. More people would probably be outraged about this if the OP and the tea party didn't racialize this issue by making it an affront against white veterans as opposed to an affront against all veterans.

Once again, in the search for the "Feeling" of doing something, thanks to Obama and the Democrats who cheer him, people are getting hurt.

This time it's WWII vets who are being kicked out of Assisted Living places to live in the streets if they don't have a family to move in with.

Some military veterans are being forced to leave their nursing home. It’s an unintended consequence of President Obama’s executive order in February to raise the minimum wage for new federal contract workers from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Sandy Franks, public affairs officer at Shreveport’s Overton Brooks V. A. Medical Center, explains that nursing homes that have contracts for subsidized care from the Veterans Administration become federal contractors. If they refuse to raise their wages, their contracts will not be renewed.

Former Marine A.J. Crain just wheeled himself into his new room at Shreveport Manor on Mansfield Road when he got the news that the home’s contract will end this month

“We fought all your wars, and now we’re broke. Where do we go from here?” Crain asks.

“We gotta go. Simple as that. We gotta go,” says Vietnam War Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient John Washington.

“I think it’s very wrong. I think it’s very distasteful,” Washington goes on to say about Shreveport Manor’s decision. ”I mean some of these people here work their backsides off to keep this place going,” he said, pointing to a woman changing his bed.

Shreveport Manor is owned by Gamble Guest Care. Their Chief Operating Officer says if they raise wages for workers there, they have to do that at all eight of their facilities.

In a statement, Gamble COO Matt Machen said, in part, “The additional labor expenses are simply unaffordable. As such, many long term care providers have indicated that they will no longer seek or renew V.A. contracts.”

Franks at the V.A. agrees that this has the potential to be a national problem as more V.A. contracts with nursing homes expire.

“We will deal with it on a case by case basis,” Franks says. “We will work the families and try to provide the most convenient, and the nursing homes that are up to our standards to take care of our veterans.”

“I’m not too happy over the situation,” grumbles former Navy sailor Charles Shufflin at Shreveport Manor.

Shufflin hasn’t even bothered unpacking his boxes of belongings since he has a place to go. His daughter Vickie Carrington is making room at her house.

“I’m not so worried about myself,” Shufflin says, “but the veterans that have no place to live.”

“There’s a lot of people out there that have fought for our country,” Carrington adds, choking back tears. “And the ones that don’t have family members to take them in to take care of them, where are they going to go?”

The V.A. says they’ll look for space at other V. A. nursing homes, war veterans homes, or veteran community living centers.

Gamble’s Machen says the company will try to keep its veterans in place by looking for other forms of reimbursement, such as Medicare and Medicaid. He says only about one percent of their residents are affected.

Shufflin and Crain had just moved into Shreveport Manor from Rose View Nursing Center across the street, after the V.A. recently deemed Rose View had fallen below V. A. standards. So those vets would be moving for the second time in as many months.

Way to go Obama.. In trying to buy votes for the Democrats this fall, you've managed to hurt those who have already served this country...

So, the rate of pay for minimum wage workers on a federal contract would be $10.10-7.25 which comes out to less than $3.00 an hour ($2.85 per hour if I am not mistaken). That workers who treat the aged and infirmed are getting paid $7.25 per hour is pretty shocking to start with--many places have CNAs and skilled assistance.

When the contract is renewed...just increase your asking price because labor costs go up. That is what we do when we offer care packages....or do what the famous GOP solution is and eliminate someone in "middle management" or "clerical" from the contract whose yearly salary would more than make up for some of the new costs involved.

I'm still trying to figure out WTF race has to do with this issue. More people would probably be outraged about this if the OP and the tea party didn't racialize this issue by making it an affront against white veterans as opposed to an affront against all veterans.

Amazingly it had nothing to do with it. And if the company "Gamble Guest Care" would just increase their contract to cover the new costs; it would probably result in no interruption of service.

This won't end well for the company from a PR standpoint.

IF the story is true (which is questionable from teaparty.org), then shame on the companies. People doing the work are having to live off of the government assistance programs to fill the gaps their wages leave behind.

People need food and shelter and $7.25 isn't cutting it. Republicans complain about people getting food stamps and public housing yet reject the minimum wage increases that would decrease the use of those programs. Astonishing.

Maybe if the Republicans in Congress would increase funding to Veteran Affairs instead of wanting to cut it, then maybe you would have a leg to stand on.

IF the story is true (which is questionable from teaparty.org), then shame on the companies. People doing the work are having to live off of the government assistance programs to fill the gaps their wages leave behind.

People need food and shelter and $7.25 isn't cutting it. Republicans complain about people getting food stamps and public housing yet reject the minimum wage increases that would decrease the use of those programs. Astonishing.

Maybe if the Republicans in Congress would increase funding to Veteran Affairs instead of wanting to cut it, then maybe you would have a leg to stand on.

Definitely need to increase VA funding. We can't support the warriors enough....it's a real shame, I think, from day one in this nation, that we have never sufficiently compensated our fighting men and women.

So, the rate of pay for minimum wage workers on a federal contract would be $10.10-7.25 which comes out to less than $3.00 an hour ($2.85 per hour if I am not mistaken). That workers who treat the aged and infirmed are getting paid $7.25 per hour is pretty shocking to start with--many places have CNAs and skilled assistance.

I'm sure that CNA's are making more...but I'm equally sure that the people sweeping the floors, washing dishes, mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, and doing laundry are NOT!

WTF does race have to do with it? My grandfather is a veteran of WWII...but he is black, so I guess you don't care.

I know, I know....everyone is racist but you!

it's a brain dead teatard. you can't really expect too much from it.

For all of you bashing the source... Here is the "Source" of the article, which Teaparty.org picked up..

Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports

And evidently the lefties here don't actually read, they knee jerk because apparently you all missed this little part of the article.

You see... Obama's Kingly Proclamation didn't limit the minimum wage pay raise to just those that are working on that contract, but for all employees of the company that has the contract.

For all of you bashing the source... Here is the "Source" of the article, which Teaparty.org picked up..

Minimum wage order sends veterans packing from nursing homes - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports

And evidently the lefties here don't actually read, they knee jerk because apparently you all missed this little part of the article.

You see... Obama's Kingly Proclamation didn't limit the minimum wage pay raise to just those that are working on that contract, but for all employees of the company that has the contract.

You injected raise into your OP...again, what does this have to do with race?

So tell me Genius... When you think of WWII vet... Who do you think of?

Which race?

According to the Government, 90% of all living WWII vets are white.

So who is getting hurt the most? Whites.

Oh... and remember his "Typical White" person comment. Obama really doesn't like Whites.

Last edited:

So tell me Genius... When you think of WWII vet... Who do you think of?

Which race?

According to the Government, 90% of all living WWII vets are white.

So who is getting hurt the most? Whites.
That means 10% were minorities, right. Are they irrelevant?

Do you really think that the minimum wage hike was to hurt whites? What a fucking racist maroon. Again, my grandfather was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I guess you don't give a shit about him...just the white vets.

And you wonder why libs think all conservatives are racist.

Nutz...

I see you have realized that you're argument is like most of the Left Wing positions.. full of hot air.

Otherwise you wouldn't have resorted to the personal attacks.

You can go about your way now.

Nutz...

I see you have realized that you're argument is like most of the Left Wing positions.. full of hot air.

Otherwise you wouldn't have resorted to the personal attacks.

You can go about your way now.

You are the one who inserted race into the issue. I am just asking why. You respond with some irrelevant statistic and want to claim that the hike in minimum wage is racist against whites. That is an absolutely ridiculous argument...it makes conservatives looks silly and racist. Why is it okay for you to call people who support the hike racist but not vice versa when you racialize an issue that has nothing to do with race?

If you are a racist, at least embrace it. If you are not, admit that race has nothing to do with the issue that you presented.

As I said, many more people would probably be outraged by this, but you have deflated the issue by crying racism.

And this is why human services provided by government should never ever be privatized.

Business does not care about the people for whom they are supposed to care; business only cares about profit.

How many problems will arise today and how many will be blamed on the other political party, and how many of those problems will be solved? I think Republicans should stick with their staples: Obama-care, Benghazi, and they're all commies. Keep it simple.

I'm sure that CNA's are making more...but I'm equally sure that the people sweeping the floors, washing dishes, mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, and doing laundry are NOT!

Don't know their set-up but in our LTCFs the landscape is outsourced so it's not under the contract, the hospitality (Food unit) is outsourced so it's not under contract. Janitorial is in house so you're likely going to have to increase the contract bid.

Again, lets look at what the President did, shall we?

Here is 1-3; just look at number 3 if you will--this is my point:

Section 1. Policy. This order seeks to increase efficiency and cost savings in the work performed by parties who contract with the Federal Government by increasing to $10.10 the hourly minimum wage paid by those contractors. Raising the pay of low-wage workers increases their morale and the productivity and quality of their work, lowers turnover and its accompanying costs, and reduces supervisory costs. These savings and quality improvements will lead to improved economy and efficiency in Government procurement.

Sec. 2. Establishing a minimum wage for Federal contractors and subcontractors. (a) Executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall, to the extent permitted by law, ensure that new contracts, contract-like instruments, and solicitations (collectively referred to as "contracts"), as described in section 7 of this order, include a clause, which the contractor and any subcontractors shall incorporate into lower-tier subcontracts, specifying, as a condition of payment, that the minimum wage to be paid to workers, including workers whose wages are calculated pursuant to special certificates issued under 29 U.S.C. 214(c), in the performance of the contract or any subcontract thereunder, shall be at least:

(i) $10.10 per hour beginning January 1, 2015; and
More at the source...
Executive Order -- Minimum Wage for Contractors | The White House

So, this won't go into effect for 7 months and it only affects contracts which will cover all of the new veterans not yet under care (a population sure to grow for the next 50 years as IF veterans get older)?

For the veterans currently under contract, there does seem to be a need for some re-negotiation or planning involved. Perhaps, gasp, accept a lower profit margin on that population until the contract is renewed???

Stores and restaurants on military bases are closing too. Which means the spouses of active military that work there are out of work too.

The whole point of raising the minimum wage was to increase unemplpyment. It's working perfectly.

Forum List

Back