Obama overruled top Pentagon, DOJ lawyers on Libya war powers

he did, they did, you guys made excuses for it.

I'm saying that the left are not doing the same thing now to Obama like they did with Bush.
On this so called non war in Libya,the left should be screaming to impeach Obama.
If Bush had done this very same thing, all of the mainstream media would be screaming about how illegal it is.
They seem to forget that BUSH went to the Congress directly and got their blessing. Obama did not.

Obama is in violation of the War Powers Act...and it's that simple. he's trying to weasel his way out of it with lawyers.

After his CIA lied about the threat. he he he the

Still the "blessing" is the blessing even though the intel was cherry picked

Its funny how you guys are bitching about Obama's use of the military when this intervention in Libya involves so little blood and treasure compared to Ambush Alley. Wish the partisan hacks on both sides could be honest for a change.

I'm saying that the left are not doing the same thing now to Obama like they did with Bush.
On this so called non war in Libya,the left should be screaming to impeach Obama.
If Bush had done this very same thing, all of the mainstream media would be screaming about how illegal it is.

but its not illegal as of yet, nor was bushes war.
And If anything the Recent Wiener case should have shown you the media doesn't give a rats ass about actual news. They only care about ratings and scandals.

Yes it is, you need congresses approval to bomb another country.Obama had a certain number of days to do it and now needs congresses approval.
If any Republican President had gone through the UN to Bomb Libya without the approval of congress the media would be all over the issue and calling for an impeachment.

They seem to forget that BUSH went to the Congress directly and got their blessing. Obama did not.

Obama is in violation of the War Powers Act...and it's that simple. he's trying to weasel his way out of it with lawyers.

Its funny how you guys are bitching about Obama's use of the military when this intervention in Libya involves so little blood and treasure compared to Ambush Alley. Wish the partisan hacks on both sides could be honest for a change.
He remains in violation regardless.

Impeachable offense? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter now though, he has amassed so much power up top and within the court system it's not like anyone can/will do anything about it. The best we can hope for is to vote him and the rest out of office, and I do mean the rest from both sides of the isle.

Getting conflicting advice from counsel is an impeachment offense?

Brilliant.

Focus on the idiotic response and ignore the abuse of power by the person who runs the country, partisanship at its finest.

:clap2:

This Libya War is not only an Illegal War but it's also a very expensive nightmare. Well over a $Billion in Taxpayer costs for this year alone. Why are they spending all this Money on a War that makes no sense to anyone? Do we even have the Money to pay for it? Massive Unemployment,Record Poverty,Skyrocketing Food & Gas Prices = The worst Misery Index we've seen in 28yrs. Yet we have all these $Billions to blow on a senseless War? Congress needs to step up and end this thing immediately. Let the Euros and the UN bomb & kill Libyans.

Impeachable offense? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter now though, he has amassed so much power up top and within the court system it's not like anyone can/will do anything about it. The best we can hope for is to vote him and the rest out of office, and I do mean the rest from both sides of the isle.

I guess you can it "conflicting advice from counsel" when your counsel advises you not to break the law...after all, it conflicts with your own desire...

Brilliant.

Focus on the idiotic response and ignore the abuse of power by the person who runs the country, partisanship at its finest.

:clap2:

His response was no more idiotic than your OP.

I guess you can it "conflicting advice from counsel" when your counsel advises you not to break the law...after all, it conflicts with your own desire...

You may want to go back and read the article before you embarrass yourself any further.

Nato operation, not American.
NATO - Official text: The North Atlantic Treaty, 04-Apr.-1949
Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary Measures’ to Protect Civilians, by Vote of 10 in Favour with 5 Abstentions

We are enforcing a no fly zone.

White House: We are not violating the War Powers Resolution because we are not at war - By Josh Rogin | The Cable

but then again there is the fact that this whole thing comes to a disagreement with no Ruling body passing offical Judgement on the matter of: " the Us is in a supporting roll and therefore not breaking the WPA"

Till you actually have a ruling, all you have is an opinion.

Do you actually think that if a Republican President had done this, that the media and Democrat activists would not be all over it about how unconstitutional it would be?

You are correct that Bush asked Congress for permission, but the administration also clearly stated they did not require congressional approval.

this is why I posted the thread and in post 3-4 said so, its the usual selectivity of angst, you see it right here.

Bush (they say) cherry picked intel, obama cherry picked lawyers, yet, we'll see just what traction this gets .....

You are correct that Bush asked Congress for permission, but the administration also clearly stated they did not require congressional approval.

:lol::lol::lol:

so IF I have syrup, well I didn't really, because I could have gone without....:lol:

2352808.jpg

Mr. Obama decided instead to adopt the legal analysis of several other senior members of his legal team — including the White House counsel, Robert Bauer, and the State Department legal adviser, Harold H. Koh — who argued that the United States military’s activities fell short of “hostilities.” Under that view, Mr. Obama needed no permission from Congress to continue the mission unchanged.

That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is that he made up his mind, then went out and told his lawyers that they should go out and give him the gist of the arguments for and against that position, but not actually offer him any advice about what the law actually means.

Nato operation, not American.
NATO - Official text: The North Atlantic Treaty, 04-Apr.-1949
Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary Measures’ to Protect Civilians, by Vote of 10 in Favour with 5 Abstentions

We are enforcing a no fly zone.

White House: We are not violating the War Powers Resolution because we are not at war - By Josh Rogin | The Cable

but then again there is the fact that this whole thing comes to a disagreement with no Ruling body passing offical Judgement on the matter of: " the Us is in a supporting roll and therefore not breaking the WPA"

Till you actually have a ruling, all you have is an opinion.

The United States Military is conducting operations in Libya, and firing missiles at Libyan positions. Twist that any way you want, it is a war, we are involved, and it violates the law.

Where are the leftist anti-war fanatics that the public got to see so much of during Bush's presidency? Where are the Obama supporters that decried the Iraqi war as illegal?

Bush sought Congressional approval. Legislators voted for it and supported it until it became politically expedient to distance themselves from the war.

The Democratic Party and this administration has proven to the world that they have no strong convictions of liberty and freedom. They exploited the public's sentiment about the unnecessary and overbearing endless military endeavors, just so they could turn their back on it once elected.

This war is actually illegal, one need not look to international laws, American laws are being broken.

Last edited:

Bush says he doesn't believe the WPA is constitutional, but follows it.

Obama says it clearly is, and ignores it.

Which of those positions is more reprehensible?

Forum List

Back