Obama: If We Lose in 2012, Government Will Tell People ‘You’re on Your Own’

This is like having a toddler taking his first steps! If you let go of mommy's hand, you're on your own.

What an insult to those of us who HAVE done it on our own! I don't feel like a 'toddler' holding 'mommy's hand.' I am a grown adult woman who raised two children alone, and in the process put them through college and got 3 degrees of my own.

There is SUCH an entitlement mentality in this country. This medication I am on costs $100K/year. I have great insurance, but the drug company kept sending it out in little drips and drabs costing me an arm and a leg. Each time I tried to explain that my insurance wasn't being opptimized the person would say 'do you need assistance?' (This is not a medicine you can go down to your local pharmacy and buy.) Finaly, I let her have it and told her the ONLY assistance I need is for them to take the time and go to the trouble to optimize my health insurance. It was like chewing razors. She didn't even believe I had insurance that would allow me to only pay $70 for $25K worth of it. But I do. She found that out when she took the time to check it out. Every person I talked to at that company was so quick to ask if I needed assistance, and SO UNwilling to even check my benefits which I still go to work every day to EARN!

ABC News ^ | Oct. 25, 2011
Obama: If We Lose in 2012, Government Will Tell People ‘You’re on Your Own’ - ABC News

At a million-dollar San Francisco fundraiser today, President Obama warned his recession-battered supporters that if he loses the 2012 election it could herald a new, painful era of self-reliance in America.

“The one thing that we absolutely know for sure is that if we don’t work even harder than we did in 2008, then we’re going to have a government that tells the American people, ‘you are on your own,’” Obama told a crowd of 200 donors over lunch at the W Hotel.

“If you get sick, you’re on your own. If you can’t afford college, you’re on your own. If you don’t like that some corporation is polluting your air or the air that your child breathes, then you’re on your own,” he said. “That’s not the America I believe in. It’s not the America you believe in.”

Obama and Democrats have been emphasizing what they see as the costly consequences of the Republicans’ agenda in an effort to stir up support, in part by touching on emotional nerves.

Last week, Obama supporters pounced on comments by Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney that the solution to the nation’s housing crisis is “don’t try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom.”

Today, Obama cast Republicans’ hands-off approach as harmful to middle class families, who he says deserve government help.

“I reject an argument that says we’ve got to roll back protections that ban hidden fees by credit card companies, or rules that keep our kids from being exposed to mercury, or laws that prevent the health insurance industry from exploiting people who are sick,” Obama said. “And I reject the idea that somehow if we strip away collective bargaining rights, that we’ll be somehow better off.

(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...

When Obama loses in 12 the government will tell people that government isn't their mommy or daddy..

I love how Obama believes the federal government should play central roles in peoples lives and in our economy...

It was only the government that fucked up our economy and society with their insistence that they dictate both..

We only survived with limited government up until about 1900...

But everyone will die a horrible death according to progressives if we limit government and put an end to the nanny state.

Hell, at one time the US was the place to come when you got fed up with authoritarian government..

Besides Obamas comments are just another example of how truly narcissistic he is. Obama may as well say "none of you can live without me."

The fed gov plays a role. If we just let states do whatever they want, then that's exactly what they'll do. That's why we need federal programs and depts - like the EPA and a federal health care law, for example.

And are you seriously suggesting that people in the US don't die from starvation or lack of health care? :lol: You can pretend that everything is all rosy, but that simply isn't the case.

Not according the U.S Constitution.....but why would our supposed Constitutional Scholar President bother with what it actually says ? :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

We don't need a federal EPA and we don't need what is termed "Obamacare".

And if you can produce something of substance on people starving to death or dying because of lack of health care (the study was done 10 years ago...that means about 500,000 have passed since then.....not that I have heard about them in mass....but lets forget the 1,800,000 people who will have died from smoking related disease......BTW: 45,000 is how many out of 300,000,000 ? Answer 0.015%....how can you even show statistical significance at those low numbers against an entire population that has so many diverse characteristics and environments (I dunno....maybe no healthcare means no Kevlar vests in Chicago).

Looking for that data.

The problem isn't that people are dying en mass. The problem is that we don't know how much is being given through federal funding to health agencies in order to provide only emergent care. Being part of the industry my guess is WAY more than the services are worth. We do need some type of national health care so these subsidies can be stopped and facilities held accountable for their services. Having everyone buy their own insurance is one way to do that. That move is one of the most fiscally conservative things that this country could have done in the last 100 years. You think you know. But you have no idea!

The fed gov plays a role. If we just let states do whatever they want, then that's exactly what they'll do. That's why we need federal programs and depts - like the EPA and a federal health care law, for example.

And are you seriously suggesting that people in the US don't die from starvation or lack of health care? :lol: You can pretend that everything is all rosy, but that simply isn't the case.

Not according the U.S Constitution.....but why would our supposed Constitutional Scholar President bother with what it actually says ? :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

We don't need a federal EPA and we don't need what is termed "Obamacare".

And if you can produce something of substance on people starving to death or dying because of lack of health care (the study was done 10 years ago...that means about 500,000 have passed since then.....not that I have heard about them in mass....but lets forget the 1,800,000 people who will have died from smoking related disease......BTW: 45,000 is how many out of 300,000,000 ? Answer 0.015%....how can you even show statistical significance at those low numbers against an entire population that has so many diverse characteristics and environments (I dunno....maybe no healthcare means no Kevlar vests in Chicago).

Looking for that data.

The problem isn't that people are dying en mass. The problem is that we don't know how much is being given through federal funding to health agencies in order to provide only emergent care. Being part of the industry my guess is WAY more than the services are worth. We do need some type of national health care so these subsidies can be stopped and facilities held accountable for their services. Having everyone buy their own insurance is one way to do that. That move is one of the most fiscally conservative things that this country could have done in the last 100 years. You think you know. But you have no idea!

Insurance is pooling resources against calamity so that those who need it...get it when they need it.

Your point about emergecare is valid...your solution using health care isn't.

Just look at the heels-in-the-ground approach the dems on the supercommittee took when it came to entitlements. Do you really think health care will go in any direction other than more and more of it so that politicians can ensure themselves of re-election ?

I also have connections to the health care industry and know that they are divided about how to deal with this.

Why not just get rid of insurance altogether.

I once added up everthing I have paid out in insurance and used in insurance with regards to my car. Had I never paid insurance (but saved that money instead) I would have enough to cover a huge problem (like 100K)and would still be on top. I am now on an HSA program that I find very inforative. My wife and I are become better consumers of health care as a result of actually having a stake in the game when it comes to how we spend our dollars.

"We only survived with limited government up until about 1900..."

You live in a dreamworld. Read "The Good Old Days- They Were Terrible"...this is the good timesand will get better with Obamacare. Everyone is doing their best but GREEDY megarich A-Hole Pubs.

You live in a dreamworld. Read "The Good Old Days- They Were Terrible"...this is the good timesand will get better with Obamacare. Everyone is doing their best but GREEDY megarich A-Hole Pubs.

I can see why you want funded health care so badly. I expect the bills for your electroshock therapy must be oultandish. It's probably to the point they brown out the city you live in just to put enough amps through your rather twisted and poorly functioning brain.

I'll just point out that I know a lot of people who feel lik they are on their own even though President Obama wishes that were not the case.

A bump for this little phrase you will hear from our Failure-In-Chief a great deal in the months to come.

As he seeks to hide his record and deflect attention away from it.

Iif Obamacare is so great, how come all the major supporters of it want an exemption from it?

Those damn fear-mongering Republicans!

It's interesting, though, that Democrats view self-reliance as something to be feared. And by "interesting", I mean "damned pathetic".

You wanna live in a society without policemen, firemen, teachers, and other civil servants, go for it.

Me..I like my society, civilized. :eusa_whistle:

Sadly, I know that you know that such government services are not what we are referring to.....so the fact that such is all that you can criticize speaks volumes to me.

I believe it is known as the Liberal Lie.

Iif Obamacare is so great, how come all the major supporters of it want an exemption from it?

If ObamaCare is so great, then why aren't Obama and the Democrats RUNNING on it? The answer to that is quite obvious...it was an awful piece of legislation and as more Americans get to see how it's going to effect them, they like it even less than they did back before Nancy Pelosi was telling them that we have to "pass it to see what's in it".

Obama: If We Lose in 2012, Government Will Tell People ‘You’re on Your Own’ - ABC News

At a million-dollar San Francisco fundraiser today, President Obama warned his recession-battered supporters that if he loses the 2012 election it could herald a new, painful era of self-reliance in America.

“The one thing that we absolutely know for sure is that if we don’t work even harder than we did in 2008, then we’re going to have a government that tells the American people, ‘you are on your own,’” Obama told a crowd of 200 donors over lunch at the W Hotel.

“If you get sick, you’re on your own. If you can’t afford college, you’re on your own. If you don’t like that some corporation is polluting your air or the air that your child breathes, then you’re on your own,” he said. “That’s not the America I believe in. It’s not the America you believe in.”

Obama and Democrats have been emphasizing what they see as the costly consequences of the Republicans’ agenda in an effort to stir up support, in part by touching on emotional nerves.

Last week, Obama supporters pounced on comments by Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney that the solution to the nation’s housing crisis is “don’t try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom.”

Today, Obama cast Republicans’ hands-off approach as harmful to middle class families, who he says deserve government help.

“I reject an argument that says we’ve got to roll back protections that ban hidden fees by credit card companies, or rules that keep our kids from being exposed to mercury, or laws that prevent the health insurance industry from exploiting people who are sick,” Obama said. “And I reject the idea that somehow if we strip away collective bargaining rights, that we’ll be somehow better off.

isnt this fear mongering doesnt only the right do that according to the left?

Obama didn't stop any foreclosurer's. If someone was not meeting their monthly payment they got foreclosed upon. The longer you prolong the process of foreclosurer with taxpayer bailouts--the longer it takes for this economy to recover. Japan learned it the hard way over a 10 year period--we should probably take a lesson from them.

104861_600.jpg

When is he going to bring out the tap dancing shoes for votes?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back