Obama hopes to enact new gun-control measures in 2013

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    this man hates us and our rights..what a horrible President..you people better get prepared

SNIP:
    By Meghashyam Mali - 12/30/12 09:49 AM ET

President Obama on Sunday said he would make gun control a priority in his new term, pledging to put his “full weight” behind passing new restrictions on firearms in 2013.

“I'm going to be putting forward a package and I'm going to be putting my full weight behind it,” Obama said in an interview aired on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “I'm going to be making an argument to the American people about why this is important and why we have to do everything we can to make sure that something like what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary does not happen again.”

In the wake of the Dec. 14 mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., school, the president has launched a White House task force led by Vice President Biden to present proposals in January to help stem gun violence. Obama has said that he would seek a broad approach to the problem addressing the role of violence in entertainment and measures to improve mental healthcare.

But he has also called on Congress to move quickly to reinstate the federal assault weapons ban and a ban on the sale of high-capacity magazines.

Obama on Sunday repeated those calls and said he would meet with lawmakers on both sides of the aisles to see action.

“I've been very clear that an assault-rifle ban, banning these high capacity clips, background checks, that there are a set of issues that I have historically supported and will continue to support,” the president said.

“I'd like to get it done in the first year. I will put forward a very specific proposal based on the recommendations that Joe Biden's task force is putting together as we speak. And so this is not something that I will be putting off."

all of it here with lots of comments
    Obama hopes to enact new gun-control measures in 2013 - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Biden. Task. Force.

Somehow those words just don't go together.

3. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,592
    Sounds like a great way to create jobs and help our sluggish economy.

4. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    The President has said that he will support gun reform if it is what the American people want.

“We’re not going to get this done unless the American people decide it’s important and so this is not going to be a matter of me spending political capital. One of the things that you learn having now been in this office for four years. The old adage of Abraham Lincoln’s, ‘with public opinion there is nothing you can’t do and without public opinion there is very little you can get done in this town.’” ~ Barack Obama

5. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Look up the difference between reform and control. You might be surprised who has no issue with reform.:cool:

6. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Well, at least now the dude has two items on his agenda. Before a group of children got massacred by a crazy fuck, we only had one agenda item going into a 4 year term. And that deal should have been closed already.

This dude is not a leader. He's an agitator.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    as I said, too bad for you we don't live in a MOB Democracy..though some of you WISH we did now that Obama is President

8. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    What could possibly go wrong?

Oh Lord don't let him have a bullet Andy in the weapons hearings.

(I'm out of rep or I'd give you some)

9. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,151
    The scariest thing to me is the hate and fear mongering by stupid people like Stephanie and that other stupid people join with her in voting. Not only should some gun control be on the agenda of all elected officials in Congress those who fail to do so and actually take money and direction from the NRA violate the very essence of their duty to provide for the "common Defense and the general Welfare" of our people (Section 8, Clause 1 or Article I).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yeah because oBUMa doesn't take or is influenced by lobbyist money. :cool: