obama for a third term? WTF?

I think it's more the American people looking for a change every 8 years, than presidential term limits.

That's just it though. Congress is where you make real change. The president sets a tone, he does not actually write the laws.

Well I agree with you on that. I think we are in desperate need of term limits for congress.

I'm not sure about abolishing term limits for the president, however even if we did I don't think, in today's climate, anyone could win more than 3 terms. I've always thought extending the presidential term would be better, because most presidents are too focused in their 1st term, on running for their 2nd. Plus, the best thing for our economy is stability and predictability, having a possible direction change every 4 years causes a lot of uncertainty.

All I did was post the link to the bill, and said obama for a third term? WTF? in the title.

Fair enough. Did you know at the time that you posted it that the same legislator has put forth the same bill during every new Congress since Clinton?

This is just more of the same old orchestration we have seen umpteen times. Like Obama's 54 Christmas trees being the reason we have a $16 trillion debt.

I've been hearing about this bill all day from wingnuts all over the country. These people are played like cheap fiddles.

And I have seen bills like this since at least as far back as Reagan. And when I pointed that out to the piss drinkers today, they all harumphed and said Reagan was different, so it would have been okay. :lol:

Yep, and my disdain for the current admin aside. I actually lean toward this idea. Why you may ask? Well I feel like the system we have right now, has us changing direction almost 180 degrees every 4 to 8 years. We lack consistent leadership. The way I see it we have it ass backwards. The President, who is the only one elected by all of us. Should be able to run for and win as many terms as he can. It's congress who should have more limits.

I also wish we'd go back to no VP candidates, rather the second place vote getter got that job.
I

That is a terrible idea. Can you just imagine that appeal of assassinating a president, if the guy from the other party who you wanted, ends up president if you do it? lol

Oh, I don't think the appeal would be any greater than it already is. You know for example that there are tons of "good old boys" out there right now who wish they had the balls to go after Obama; but the Secret Service prevents that, as they would if we reverted back to the old way of picking a VP.

Jose Serrano proposed identical legislation twice during Clinton's term, and 5 times during Bush's term. It's never gotten out of committee.

Yep, and my disdain for the current admin aside. I actually lean toward this idea. Why you may ask? Well I feel like the system we have right now, has us changing direction almost 180 degrees every 4 to 8 years. We lack consistent leadership. The way I see it we have it ass backwards. The President, who is the only one elected by all of us. Should be able to run for and win as many terms as he can. It's congress who should have more limits.

Agreed.

The 22nd Amendment was motivated by partisanism, where republicans were fearful of another FDR. Of course, that later backfired on the GOP with Reagan, who would have been president until his death.

Jose Serrano proposed identical legislation twice during Clinton's term, and 5 times during Bush's term. It's never gotten out of committee.

Agreed.

The 22nd Amendment was motivated by partisanism, where republicans were fearful of another FDR. Of course, that later backfired on the GOP with Reagan, who would have been president until his death.

And considering St. Ronnie was already becoming senile during his 2nd term...

While I'm actually not a fan of term limits at all, it would make more sense to me if there were term limits for Congress, rather than the President.

But I don't really care that much. It's simply not going to happen.

just how ignorant of history are you?

Do you know the old saying; "History repeats itself"?

knowing these things you should be able to come to the conclusion that only a dem would seek a 3rd term since only a dem sought and had a 3rd term and it was the reps that amended the Constitution so it would never occur again.

sorry if this is going over your head, but I can't dumb it down any further.
Just how ignorant of history are you?

Because we know it can never be done. Just ask Mayor Bloomberg.

Never say never...
This may come as a complete surprise to you, but a mayor's term is not defined in the US Constitution.

:lame2: Do actually think that I needed you to tell me that?

Here's a bigger surprise...Look up the meaning of the word sarcasm. It nevertheless doesn't change the fact that where there is a will there is a way.

If Obama wants a third term I have no doubt he will find supporters that would be more than happy to "assist" him in exploring..and achieving that possibility.

Last edited:

Never say never...
This may come as a complete surprise to you, but a mayor's term is not defined in the US Constitution.

Here's a bigger surprise...Look up the meaning of the word sarcasm. It nevertheless doesn't change the fact that where there is a will their is a way.

If Obama wants a third term I have no doubt he will find supporters that would be more than happy to "assist" him in exploring..and achieving that possibility.
tinfoil_hat_time_ornament-p175512450822926396b2kk3_400.jpg

Term limits are big government nonsense. People can decide for themselves if they want to re-elect a particular politician.

That said, bugger gets buggier by the day.

Here's a bigger surprise...Look up the meaning of the word sarcasm. It nevertheless doesn't change the fact that where there is a will there is a way.

tinfoil_hat_time_ornament-p175512450822926396b2kk3_400.jpg

:ahole-1:

just how ignorant of history are you?

Do you know the old saying; "History repeats itself"?

knowing these things you should be able to come to the conclusion that only a dem would seek a 3rd term since only a dem sought and had a 3rd term and it was the reps that amended the Constitution so it would never occur again.

sorry if this is going over your head, but I can't dumb it down any further.
Just how ignorant of history are you?

Oh - and some more history for you...

"In 1986, Congressman Guy Vander Jagt (then Chairman of the National
Republican Congressional Committee
)
provided an outlet for Republican interest
in repeal that, the President's protests notwithstanding,
remained importantly
linked to the prospect of a third Reagan term. In July, Vander Jagt introduced a
joint resolution calling for a repeal of the Twenty-Second Amendment

Although this measure eventually obtained sixty-five co-sponsors, support for a
third Reagan term waned after revelations about the Iran-Contra affair
. "

Twice and Future President

The Constitution died January 20th, 2009. If we really want it resuscitated, it will have to be done by force at this point. 155,000 registered voters in Florida's St Lucie County casting 247,000 ballots by election day, certain Minnesota voting precincts refusing to let any news and/or other public agencies see their lists of same day voter registrations and balloting and all that, the typical Democratic Get Out The Vote Miracles Of The Loaves And Fishes in action. Now you have guys like New York's Andrew Cuomo drooling buckets of saliva while chomping on his bit in eager anticipation of seizing all his fellow citizens firearms. On second thought maybe those buckets of saliva are really semen Cuomo couldn't manage to swallow. The Second Amendment granted the citizenry some small measure of power. The Democrats think they now have a chance to aggregate that power into their hands as well and make their motto now become "Once in power, always and forever in power"
You of course remember Obama's 2009 appointments of Regulatory Czar Cass Sunstein and WhiteHouse Director Of Communications Anita Dunne. Both these individuals had some things in common. The first was their boundless admiration of the late Chinese Communist Party Chairman Mao tse Tung and the favorite quote for both was Mao's "All power emanates from the barrel of a gun". Obama has to be aware of that little tidbit as well. "Never let a legitimate crisis go to waste!"

NY Democrat Proposes To Repeal 22nd Amendment, Term Limits on Presidency | Weasel Zippers

Last edited:

Never say never...

When someone claims that they were being sarcastic, they don't get to then use the term "nevertheless".

Forum List

Back