Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 Drug Offenders

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 drug offenders

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 214 individuals on Wednesday, the most grants of clemency in a single day since at least 1900, the White House said.

Obama has now granted a total of 562 commutations during his presidency, more than the number by the past nine presidents combined, it said.

The president has worked to reform the U.S. criminal justice system to reduce the number of people serving long, and in many cases life sentences for drug related crimes. It is a rare topic in which the Democratic president has received support from Republican lawmakers.

Many of the convicts had been serving time for crack cocaine. For years crack offenders faced stiffer penalties than offenders of powder cocaine, even though the substances are similar on a molecular level. Critics have said the disparity has unfairly harmed minority and poor communities.

Your link is clearly an anti Obama .......... Cherry picking and missing important reasons why Obama is granting clemency for 214 prisoners.
TODAY ...... If you get caught with 2 pounds of cocaine..... You will go to jail 2 to 4 years but with good behavior you'll get out half of that.
If you get caught with 20 pounds of marijuana you will go to jail one to 3 years.
BEFORE...... If you get caught with the same amount of drugs and mj you will incarcerated from 8 to 20 years.......

Look at this way this will save tax payers from $7 to $8 millions each year.
I questioned whether or not it was a wise move to select 214 prisoners - the majority of which were in prison for crimes related to crack cocaine - to have their sentences commuted. Are you suggesting that no one is permitted to question the actions of President Obama?

You can question anyone you like.................. But the link is cherry picking............. Some of these inmates has been there for decades or 8 to 14 years for 40 pounds of marijuana or 10 pounds of cocaine........ Today penalties are from one to 6 years at most.

Does everyone need 40 pounds of marijuana or 10 pounds of cocaine if they are a recreational user? Or are they in the business of selling dope.

You can question anyone you like.................. But the link is cherry picking............. Some of these inmates has been there for decades or 8 to 14 years for 40 pounds of marijuana or 10 pounds of cocaine........ Today penalties are from one to 6 years at most.

Had those that have been there for 8 - 14 years been sentenced today, they wouldn't be there but 1 - 6 years. When they were sentenced then, it was longer.
I wasn't aware that you had the information list on who the prisoners were and how long they had been there. Can you share that with us? Link and sources. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Conservative65, I'm not saying what you claim isn't possible - I just need for you to prove that you have some actual "evidence" - sources, links, .....to back up the claims you've just made. Thanks.

I was going on the statement made by Charwin. Charwin said some of the inmates had been there for 8 - 14 years for 40 lbs. or marijuana or 10 lbs. of cocaine but today's penalties would only be 1 - 6 years. My point was that when those there for 8 - 14 years were sentenced, that was the sentence and it was longer than perhaps what the sentence is today.

My statement had nothing to do with who they were or how long they'd been there but that at different time, sentences may be different than they were at other times.

Actually these are old news....... Like Richard Reser of Sedwick, Ka sentence to 40 years for fire arm possession and dealing methamphatamine in 1989. He will be freed Dec. 1/16.
Today with the same crime most you will get 5 years. Read a lot of these stories and one of my golf buddies is a criminal defense lawyer.

A criminal defense lawyer? You mean someone so unscrupulous they're willing to do things to get those that need to be locked up freed?

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

Crack cocaine offenders had arbitrarily higher prison terms than cocaine users. Why? For no apparent reason.
The reason is very apparent to those of us who have an adequate knowledge of chemistry.

You're a chemist now?
Yes.

Had those that have been there for 8 - 14 years been sentenced today, they wouldn't be there but 1 - 6 years. When they were sentenced then, it was longer.
I wasn't aware that you had the information list on who the prisoners were and how long they had been there. Can you share that with us? Link and sources. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Conservative65, I'm not saying what you claim isn't possible - I just need for you to prove that you have some actual "evidence" - sources, links, .....to back up the claims you've just made. Thanks.

I was going on the statement made by Charwin. Charwin said some of the inmates had been there for 8 - 14 years for 40 lbs. or marijuana or 10 lbs. of cocaine but today's penalties would only be 1 - 6 years. My point was that when those there for 8 - 14 years were sentenced, that was the sentence and it was longer than perhaps what the sentence is today.

My statement had nothing to do with who they were or how long they'd been there but that at different time, sentences may be different than they were at other times.

Actually these are old news....... Like Richard Reser of Sedwick, Ka sentence to 40 years for fire arm possession and dealing methamphatamine in 1989. He will be freed Dec. 1/16.
Today with the same crime most you will get 5 years. Read a lot of these stories and one of my golf buddies is a criminal defense lawyer.

A criminal defense lawyer? You mean someone so unscrupulous they're willing to do things to get those that need to be locked up freed?

He casually tell us stories about some of his cases and we also shared other stories during or after golf....... How he conduct his own cases we don't want to know.

Your problem is you twist them to make it appear something it isn't and don't accept anything but agreement with what you say. Stats don't mean what you say they mean just because you say it.

I havent given not one stat but you've already started making excuses on why the stats I havent even presented yet are wrong. LMAO

Yet you claim stats you admit not having provided are facts.

Stats are facts whether their presented or not. I mean you're already using an excuse on why you dont believe information that I havent even given yet. So how honest will you be once someone presents one?

Not at all because for some reason you dont trust stats or facts. So what is this discussion about? What you FEEL?
Stats in this discussion are NOT facts until you post them so we can see them. You cannot simply claim that statistics support your argument and then not post the statistics so that others can see where you are getting your information from, Caption.

I find it hilarious that CC says I have found excuses not to believe stats he hasn't posted yet believes something he hasn't posted is facts because he claims it is. Until they're posted and show what he says they show, my statement of them being nonsense has support.

Before I posted anything you already claimed I twisted it. LOL! So what reason do I have to debate with the likes of you? I don't have time to waste.

Crack cocaine offenders had arbitrarily higher prison terms than cocaine users. Why? For no apparent reason.
The reason is very apparent to those of us who have an adequate knowledge of chemistry.
Why not explain the reason (in layman terms) to the rest of us?

Cocaine hydrochloride (AKA powder cocaine) is a salt that is stable and water soluble. It is usually snorted in powder (solid) form and is absorbed relatively slowly via the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities, throat and mouth. And more rarely the vagina or anus.

You cannot smoke cocaine hydrochloride because the very low range of temperature which it will be volatile enough to vaporize. If you try to "smoke" it you will simply burn it.

When somebody puts a rock of crack in their crack pipe and fires it up, they are not actually burning it, they are vaporizing it and it enters the bloodstream via the huge surface area of lungs. Thus entering the bloodstream much faster than it would from snorting powdered cocaine hyrochloride.

The fastest way to deliver the drug is mainlining a solution of water and cocaine hydrochloride straight into a vein via a hypodermic syringe. Because of it's hydrophobic nature you cannot do that with crack cocaine.

However, the vast majority of people who experiment with recreational drugs, and even most coke addicts will not stick a needle in their arm. That's a line they will not cross.

And before you ask, yes, I used to be a cocaine addict.
I praise God that you are no longer addicted to that stuff. God saved your life because you were willing to do the right thing.

He casually tell us stories about some of his cases and we also shared other stories during or after golf....... How he conduct his own cases we don't want to know.

I just told you why you don't want to know.

I havent given not one stat but you've already started making excuses on why the stats I havent even presented yet are wrong. LMAO

Yet you claim stats you admit not having provided are facts.

Stats are facts whether their presented or not. I mean you're already using an excuse on why you dont believe information that I havent even given yet. So how honest will you be once someone presents one?

Not at all because for some reason you dont trust stats or facts. So what is this discussion about? What you FEEL?
Stats in this discussion are NOT facts until you post them so we can see them. You cannot simply claim that statistics support your argument and then not post the statistics so that others can see where you are getting your information from, Caption.

I find it hilarious that CC says I have found excuses not to believe stats he hasn't posted yet believes something he hasn't posted is facts because he claims it is. Until they're posted and show what he says they show, my statement of them being nonsense has support.

Before I posted anything you already claimed I twisted it. LOL! So what reason do I have to debate with the likes of you? I don't have time to waste.

Before you posted it, you called it a fact.

You still haven't posted it. You don't want a debate. You, like your boy President, wants to make a statement then expect people to believe it because you said it.

I don't have time to waste with a liar like you.

Cocaine hydrochloride (AKA powder cocaine) is a salt that is stable and water soluble. It is usually snorted in powder (solid) form and is absorbed relatively slowly via the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities, throat and mouth. And more rarely the vagina or anus.

You cannot smoke cocaine hydrochloride because the very low range of temperature which it will be volatile enough to vaporize. If you try to "smoke" it you will simply burn it.

When somebody puts a rock of crack in their crack pipe and fires it up, they are not actually burning it, they are vaporizing it and it enters the bloodstream via the huge surface area of lungs. Thus entering the bloodstream much faster than it would from snorting powdered cocaine hyrochloride.

The fastest way to deliver the drug is mainlining a solution of water and cocaine hydrochloride straight into a vein via a hypodermic syringe. Because of it's hydrophobic nature you cannot do that with crack cocaine.

However, the vast majority of people who experiment with recreational drugs, and even most coke addicts will not stick a needle in their arm. That's a line they will not cross.
Thank you. That expands my awareness of cocaine somewhat.

Re: the use of needles, because I am extremely needle-phobic I've come to believe using a needle to deliver a drug experience is a rather obvious manifestation of the self-destructive (masochistic) component of most extreme addictions. Do you agree?

And before you ask, yes, I used to be a cocaine addict.
Good you were able to kick. How strung out were you -- and how long did it take to fully withdraw?

How many people are put in prison for recreational drug usage?
I don't know the numbers offhand but I can tell you the outcome of possession cases depends entirely on one's background. Usually a first offender will get probation provided no other criminal circumstances (resisting arrest, possession of weapon, etc.) are involved. But even with probation one's life is effectively compromised by the criminal record.

This is great news! Thank you Obama.

America is the most IMPRISONED NATION ON EARTH!!!! We have more prisoners then China, Russia, and even central American shit holes. How hard is this for you to understand? Lets not throw people that do drugs in prison. Commute them all Obama.

Is that the they were born that way argument?
There is plenty of scientific evidence that genes influence one's susceptibility to alcoholism. Alcoholism is in the genes, scientists believe

While no specific DNA structure has as yet been identified as promoting susceptibility to drug addiction there is cause for suspicion that it exists. Meanwhile, the behavioral profession has recognized a psychological predisposition to any form of addiction and has classified the condition as the addictive personality, which is outlined and defined in the DSM-V (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual #5).

According to oblammy today not all of them were drug offenders. Some were serving life sentences on weapons charges.

According to oblammy today not all of them were drug offenders. Some were serving life sentences on weapons charges.

Yep........if hilary gets in these guys are going to help her pass gun control...by killing even more people in democrat controlled cities.....

This is great news! Thank you Obama.

America is the most IMPRISONED NATION ON EARTH!!!! We have more prisoners then China, Russia, and even central American shit holes. How hard is this for you to understand? Lets not throw people that do drugs in prison. Commute them all Obama.

These aren't drug users twit...they are the violent drug dealers who murdered people to sell their product.........many were caught with guns....a felony, and are now back to keep murdering and destroying these neighborhoods......

But you guys are more than happy to lock up John Q. Citizen if he has a gun that holds 15 bullets....

Forum List

Back