Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 Drug Offenders

He's commuting the sentences of those who got an enhancement for the use of a gun. It ends the use a gun go to jail laws.

Those laws are what was responsible for the reductions in crime. Arm yourself. You will need it.

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

Crack cocaine offenders had arbitrarily higher prison terms than cocaine users. Why? For no apparent reason.
The reason is very apparent to those of us who have an adequate knowledge of chemistry.
Why not explain the reason (in layman terms) to the rest of us?

Cocaine hydrochloride (AKA powder cocaine) is a salt that is stable and water soluble. It is usually snorted in powder (solid) form and is absorbed relatively slowly via the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities, throat and mouth. And more rarely the vagina or anus.

You cannot smoke cocaine hydrochloride because the very low range of temperature which it will be volatile enough to vaporize. If you try to "smoke" it you will simply burn it.

When somebody puts a rock of crack in their crack pipe and fires it up, they are not actually burning it, they are vaporizing it and it enters the bloodstream via the huge surface area of lungs. Thus entering the bloodstream much faster than it would from snorting powdered cocaine hyrochloride.

The fastest way to deliver the drug is mainlining a solution of water and cocaine hydrochloride straight into a vein via a hypodermic syringe. Because of it's hydrophobic nature you cannot do that with crack cocaine.

However, the vast majority of people who experiment with recreational drugs, and even most coke addicts will not stick a needle in their arm. That's a line they will not cross.

And before you ask, yes, I used to be a cocaine addict.
I praise God that you are no longer addicted to that stuff. God saved your life because you were willing to do the right thing.
God did not save my life. I believe that the overwhelming sense of personal responsibility that goes hand in hand with fatherhood saved my life. AKA LOVE.

Is that the they were born that way argument?
There is plenty of scientific evidence that genes influence one's susceptibility to alcoholism. Alcoholism is in the genes, scientists believe

While no specific DNA structure has as yet been identified as promoting susceptibility to drug addiction there is cause for suspicion that it exists. Meanwhile, the behavioral profession has recognized a psychological predisposition to any form of addiction and has classified the condition as the addictive personality, which is outlined and defined in the DSM-V (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual #5).

In other words, no they're not born that way and can be convinced to do recreational drugs through things like peer pressure. Got it.

Crack cocaine offenders had arbitrarily higher prison terms than cocaine users. Why? For no apparent reason.
The reason is very apparent to those of us who have an adequate knowledge of chemistry.
Why not explain the reason (in layman terms) to the rest of us?

Cocaine hydrochloride (AKA powder cocaine) is a salt that is stable and water soluble. It is usually snorted in powder (solid) form and is absorbed relatively slowly via the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities, throat and mouth. And more rarely the vagina or anus.

You cannot smoke cocaine hydrochloride because the very low range of temperature which it will be volatile enough to vaporize. If you try to "smoke" it you will simply burn it.

When somebody puts a rock of crack in their crack pipe and fires it up, they are not actually burning it, they are vaporizing it and it enters the bloodstream via the huge surface area of lungs. Thus entering the bloodstream much faster than it would from snorting powdered cocaine hyrochloride.

The fastest way to deliver the drug is mainlining a solution of water and cocaine hydrochloride straight into a vein via a hypodermic syringe. Because of it's hydrophobic nature you cannot do that with crack cocaine.

However, the vast majority of people who experiment with recreational drugs, and even most coke addicts will not stick a needle in their arm. That's a line they will not cross.

And before you ask, yes, I used to be a cocaine addict.
I praise God that you are no longer addicted to that stuff. God saved your life because you were willing to do the right thing.
God did not save my life. I believe that the overwhelming sense of personal responsibility that goes hand in hand with fatherhood saved my life. AKA LOVE.
God brought you to your senses - in other words. Children are a gift from God, Mohammad. You have much to be grateful for. So do I. I see His Hand in everything and it's a wonderful rest that I have in knowing that Jesus Christ (who is God) is in full control. Of all things. Even in the times we are living in, God is in full control. Never doubt it.

Conservative65, I'm not saying what you claim isn't possible - I just need for you to prove that you have some actual "evidence" - sources, links, .....to back up the claims you've just made. Thanks.

I was going on the statement made by Charwin. Charwin said some of the inmates had been there for 8 - 14 years for 40 lbs. or marijuana or 10 lbs. of cocaine but today's penalties would only be 1 - 6 years. My point was that when those there for 8 - 14 years were sentenced, that was the sentence and it was longer than perhaps what the sentence is today.

My statement had nothing to do with who they were or how long they'd been there but that at different time, sentences may be different than they were at other times.

Actually these are old news....... Like Richard Reser of Sedwick, Ka sentence to 40 years for fire arm possession and dealing methamphatamine in 1989. He will be freed Dec. 1/16.
Today with the same crime most you will get 5 years. Read a lot of these stories and one of my golf buddies is a criminal defense lawyer.

A criminal defense lawyer? You mean someone so unscrupulous they're willing to do things to get those that need to be locked up freed?

He casually tell us stories about some of his cases and we also shared other stories during or after golf....... How he conduct his own cases we don't want to know.

I just told you why you don't want to know.

WTH...... That's my business dude.

This is great news! Thank you Obama.

America is the most IMPRISONED NATION ON EARTH!!!! We have more prisoners then China, Russia, and even central American shit holes. How hard is this for you to understand? Lets not throw people that do drugs in prison. Commute them all Obama.

Hell yeah! We need more drug dealers on the streets to meet the demand.

I was going on the statement made by Charwin. Charwin said some of the inmates had been there for 8 - 14 years for 40 lbs. or marijuana or 10 lbs. of cocaine but today's penalties would only be 1 - 6 years. My point was that when those there for 8 - 14 years were sentenced, that was the sentence and it was longer than perhaps what the sentence is today.

My statement had nothing to do with who they were or how long they'd been there but that at different time, sentences may be different than they were at other times.

Actually these are old news....... Like Richard Reser of Sedwick, Ka sentence to 40 years for fire arm possession and dealing methamphatamine in 1989. He will be freed Dec. 1/16.
Today with the same crime most you will get 5 years. Read a lot of these stories and one of my golf buddies is a criminal defense lawyer.

A criminal defense lawyer? You mean someone so unscrupulous they're willing to do things to get those that need to be locked up freed?

He casually tell us stories about some of his cases and we also shared other stories during or after golf....... How he conduct his own cases we don't want to know.

I just told you why you don't want to know.

WTH...... That's my business dude.

The problem is when the manner of how it's conducted starts negatively affecting society, it becomes the business of society.

Non-violent drug offenses should not land you in jail.

Crack dealers are of the lowest common denominator. We are all better off when these people are locked up.

Meth

We are in agreement. The government should get them off the streets as well.

There can only be one lowest

Learn to read. I said of the lowest, and that includes anyone who sells the kind of drugs that ruin lives.

You mean like alcohol?

Crack dealers are of the lowest common denominator. We are all better off when these people are locked up.

Meth

We are in agreement. The government should get them off the streets as well.

There can only be one lowest

Learn to read. I said of the lowest, and that includes anyone who sells the kind of drugs that ruin lives.

You mean like alcohol?

No he means like prescription drugs...I'm sure of it

Non-violent drug offenses should not land you in jail.

You believe that because it's been pumped into your brain by drug war proponents for so long it's taken hold. While it's true the excessive use of freebase cocaine ("crack") is harmful it's not nearly as harmful as the excessive use of beverage alcohol. If you don't believe that do a bit of simple research on the statistics of death and domestic abuse associated with both substances. The fact is when you are shown the results of "crack" use you are shown the most degenerate examples. Everyone who occasionally uses freebase cocaine is not a degenerate user -- nor is everyone who uses beverage alcohol a degenerate drunk.

I'm not suggesting that using freebase cocaine is a good thing. I'm simply saying there is a more intelligent, far more effective way to deal with the issue than packing the prisons -- which does absolutely nothing to reduce use and availability of this and other recreational substances.

So give this issue some thought and do some research on the subject. Because your extreme disposition about it supports only those who benefit from the drug war and is otherwise generally harmful.

Last edited:
Is that the they were born that way argument?
There is plenty of scientific evidence that genes influence one's susceptibility to alcoholism. Alcoholism is in the genes, scientists believe

While no specific DNA structure has as yet been identified as promoting susceptibility to drug addiction there is cause for suspicion that it exists. Meanwhile, the behavioral profession has recognized a psychological predisposition to any form of addiction and has classified the condition as the addictive personality, which is outlined and defined in the DSM-V (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual #5).

In other words, no they're not born that way and can be convinced to do recreational drugs through things like peer pressure. Got it.
If that's your impression of what I wrote you seem to have a problem with reading interpretation. A simpler version of what I tried to get across is while there is no clinical evidence at this time that the potential for addiction is genetic there is plenty of cause to believe it is. That cause is the simple observation that while some people can use drugs on a regular basis for an appreciable amount of time and just quit with no compulsive craving, others will become addicted after minimal use.

I used marijuana on a regular basis throughout the sixties and seventies while it was decriminalized in New York City. When Reagan escalated the drug war I chose to quit rather than risk legal problems and pay the soaring cost. While I certainly did miss the euphoric tranquilizing effect of that substance I experienced no compulsive craving. But I know two people who did.

Can we assume you are an old-time Prohibitionist and beverage alcohol is included in your condemnation? Because no other drug, including crystal methamphetamine and freebase cocaine ("crack") ruins nearly as many lives and causes as much death and severe illness as does booze.

Breaking story: He just commuted the prison sentences of 214 drug offenders. Many were in prison for crack cocaine. This story is alarming when you consider the level of lawlessness that is already on the streets of America.

obama-1.jpg

Obama commutes prison sentences of 214 drug offenders

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 214 individuals on Wednesday, the most grants of clemency in a single day since at least 1900, the White House said.

Obama has now granted a total of 562 commutations during his presidency, more than the number by the past nine presidents combined, it said.

The president has worked to reform the U.S. criminal justice system to reduce the number of people serving long, and in many cases life sentences for drug related crimes. It is a rare topic in which the Democratic president has received support from Republican lawmakers.

Many of the convicts had been serving time for crack cocaine. For years crack offenders faced stiffer penalties than offenders of powder cocaine, even though the substances are similar on a molecular level. Critics have said the disparity has unfairly harmed minority and poor communities.

good. they shouldn't be in jail that long for nonviolent drug offenses. the rockefeller drug laws are moronic.

obama-1.jpg

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 214 individuals on Wednesday, the most grants of clemency in a single day since at least 1900, the White House said.

Obama has now granted a total of 562 commutations during his presidency, more than the number by the past nine presidents combined, it said.

The president has worked to reform the U.S. criminal justice system to reduce the number of people serving long, and in many cases life sentences for drug related crimes. It is a rare topic in which the Democratic president has received support from Republican lawmakers.

Many of the convicts had been serving time for crack cocaine. For years crack offenders faced stiffer penalties than offenders of powder cocaine, even though the substances are similar on a molecular level. Critics have said the disparity has unfairly harmed minority and poor communities.

good. they shouldn't be in jail that long for nonviolent drug offenses. the rockefeller drug laws are moronic.

Get then out of jail and back on the street. I heard there is a shortage of experienced crack dealers.

obama-1.jpg

Get then out of jail and back on the street. I heard there is a shortage of experienced crack dealers.

gotta love it... .drugs should be illegal but guns should be available to everyone. :cuckoo:

What you heard is wrong. There is not nor has there ever been a shortage of dealers of any type of illegal drug, which is precisely why the War on Drugs is and has been a totally counterproductive farce which benefits only a small number of special interests -- such as the law-enforcement establishment, the piss-testing industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the liquor industry, the legal profession and, outstandingly, the prison industrial complex.

Those interests deposit billions of lobbying dollars into the pockets of our Congressional representatives almost all of whom routinely vote against legalization of any so-called "controlled substance," regardless of how harmless and beneficial it is proven to be.

But thank you for the opportunity to present these facts to those who have the intelligence to constructively evaluate them.

obama-1.jpg

gotta love it... .drugs should be illegal but guns should be available to everyone. :cuckoo:

Why don't you ask Whitney Houston about crack cocaine? If you have a problem with guns, take it up with the 2nd Amendment in the Constitution.

Forum List

Back