Obama Care will target cigarette smokers.....

And I'll be the one laughing all the way to the bank ...

I can hear the sadistic cackling now.

I know 'fascist' is an inflammatory term, and perhaps to vague for fruitful discussion. So let's just call people who support these kinds of measures "authoritarian jerkoffs who want to use government to tell other people how to live".

I don't care how you live as long as it doesn't affect me. But if someone is unhealthy because of poor lifestyle choices, and that poor health makes my health care cost more, it affects me. Surely you can put that two and two together. As well, people who smoke in enclosed places affect me. Huge people who sit next to me on airplanes and take up more than their alloted space affect me. If none of that affected me, I wouldn't care at all. So it is not about wanting to dictate to others just because I like to dictate to others; it is because the things they do affect me in a negative way; therefore, I am justified in having an opinion about it and wanting something to be done about it. And before you go there: I don't drive a car; I car pool and use mass transit.

So, people that have multiple sex partners would drive up health care, also the government should test for drugs on those using government assistance, because this drives up the cost welfare, which I pay taxes on and affects me. People on food stamps should not be allowed to purchase any fatty, sugary foods, in fact maybe the government needs to enact a safe foods list, again health care costs would drop, and I'm paying for it. Also we need to limit the number of children in families, as we all pay for the cost of education, we need to cut the cost. People in prison drive up costs, how should we handle them.

You can make an endless list. Where do we stop once we begin?

I don't have a problem with insurance companies charging higher premiums for smokers, obese, diabetics, etc. They are a higher risk ... don't you think they should pay more than someone who is a healthy weight, doesn't smoke, isn't diabetic, etc.? The problem is with the government being the one who is setting these decisions, the government being in the health insurance industry at all.

Good. That is the way it should be.

It's no one's business if a person smokes, drinks, eats too much.

What particular pathology of yours compels you to try to control everyone?

People who smoke, drink excessively and are obese bring up health care costs for everyone. If being unhealthy didn't effect others, it would be a different matter, but it does. And then there is having to sit next to a walrus on a airplane. They should have to pay for first class and sit there where the seating gives them more room to spread out.

It doesn't effect you. They pay a higher premium for their insurance you don't.

Do you make the same argument with life insurance?

It is none of your business how another chooses to live their life. Period.

The BIG LIE that you guys are being told is that SMOKERS cost more HC than non smokers.

That is exacly the opposite of the truth.

In aggregate smokers cost HC less money than non smokers.

Don't insurance companies adjust your health insurance rates according to your lifestyle, i.e., charging higher rates for people who smoke and take other risks with their health?

Yes they do. But, before PPACA at least, if you don't like how an insurance company does its 'adjusting' you can stop doing business with them. You can't decide to 'stop doing business' with government. If we set the state up as our insurance company, or worse mandate that we buy insurance from an insurance cartel, we're stuck.

Well then, I suggest you stop smoking, begin drinking moderately, lose weight, exercise regularly, and make sure you have safe sex. Then you won't be targeted for high cost health care. Oh, and don't forget to wear your seatbelt.

I am happy to pay whatever additional amounts are necessary to cover the costs of my bad health habits, as soon as you are willing to pay more for the Social Security and Medicare costs that those with unhealthy habits will either never get to use or will use significantly less. Most obese alcoholic sedentary smokers that have unsafe sex and don't wear seatbelts will not live to be 65. Fair is fair, right?

Yes they do. But, before PPACA at least, if you don't like how an insurance company does its 'adjusting' you can stop doing business with them. You can't decide to 'stop doing business' with government. If we set the state up as our insurance company, or worse mandate that we buy insurance from an insurance cartel, we're stuck.

Well then, I suggest you stop smoking, begin drinking moderately, lose weight, exercise regularly, and make sure you have safe sex. Then you won't be targeted for high cost health care. Oh, and don't forget to wear your seatbelt.

I am happy to pay whatever additional amounts are necessary to cover the costs of my bad health habits, as soon as you are willing to pay more for the Social Security and Medicare costs that those with unhealthy habits will either never get to use or will use significantly less. Most obese alcoholic sedentary smokers that have unsafe sex and don't wear seatbelts will not live to be 65. Fair is fair, right?

Your complete lack of logical reasoning is astounding.

Your complete lack of logical reasoning is astounding.

Really? How so?

They need ways to make money.

so they need a way to push the costs off onto the people who are sick.

Ciggy smokers are far more likely to be sick huh.

Its better than making people who are sick and didnt do things to make themselves sick the target of these rules.

I personally think they should not be allowed to shift the costs like this and merely make their money by insuring more people and accepting a certain level of profit INSTEAD of always trying to increase the profit margin on the backs of sick people they do business with

Don't insurance companies adjust your health insurance rates according to your lifestyle, i.e., charging higher rates for people who smoke and take other risks with their health?

yeah you can stop doing business with them and get another policy that will not cover pre-existing conditions for a year. Big win for you?

yeah you can stop doing business with them and get another policy that will not cover pre-existing conditions for a year. Big win for you?

Could be, yeah. But the freedom to deal with it as we see fit is essential. There's no need to force once solution on everyone.

don't worry, you fatties out there your day for targeting is coming under ObamaCare

you voted for it

Who is a fattie will be decided in the courts, by judges. A man who is 5'10" and weighs 225 pounds is fat? Really? Suppose he has only 3% bodyfat. Is he still fat?

don't worry, you fatties out there your day for targeting is coming under ObamaCare

you voted for it

Who is a fattie will be decided in the courts, by judges. A man who is 5'10" and weighs 225 pounds is fat? Really? Suppose he has only 3% bodyfat. Is he still fat?

ObamaCare bureaucrats will be the one deciding that ..aren't we lucky

you voted for it

ObamaCare bureaucrats will be the one deciding that ..aren't we lucky

Yeah when the sheep want the fucking government to control their lives they think it's permission to control everyone.

Hell they'll probably ban weight lifting because it fucks up the body mass index scales.

The real question here is does the government want all of us to live controlled healthier lifestyle habits so we don't add up medical cost so we live well into our 90's where they will spend more in social security to beneficiaries?

Or do they expect us not to conform to healthy lifestyle control in order to increase premiums and costs to the individual knowing they will die before they can get social security?

The real question here is does the government want all of us to live controlled healthier lifestyle habits so we don't add up medical cost so we live well into our 90's where they will spend more in social security to beneficiaries?

Or do they expect us not to conform to healthy lifestyle control in order to increase premiums and costs to the individual knowing they will die before they can get social security?

This is the problem.

The fucking government wants to punish people for their personal choices. it's an overstep of authority to do so.

This is the problem.

The fucking government wants to punish people for their personal choices. it's an overstep of authority to do so.

I'm always a little stunned by how many people actually do want to government telling them how to live.

Yes it is the governments business if you smoke. They are wasting millions treating these people who choose to smoke. The premiums for a smoker should be double those for a non smoker.

Yes it is the governments business if you smoke. They are wasting millions treating these people who choose to smoke. The premiums for a smoker should be double those for a non smoker.

Are you a Eugenicist?

Are you a Eugenicist?

A few people here would probably say that my opinions on a few issues would make me one. But that has nothing to do with the subject.

I am not trying to be mean. My dad is a eugenicist and i see his reasons. He thinks logically where I think in idealistically.

I am not trying to be mean. My dad is a eugenicist and i see his reasons. He thinks logically where I think in idealistically.

I think that some people are better off dead, but only if they are severely physically and/or mentally disabled. Not sure if your dad thinks the same as I do.

Forum List

Back