Obama Care Crisis Solved for Congress and Staffers!

I don't think many of you understand how the ACA works and the exchanges are set up, and who they are set up for....and they are NOT set up for ANYONE that has insurance provided to them through their employer, unless their employer does not offer to pay for a significant portion of the policy.

Exchanges are set up primarily for those employees who can not get employer contributed health insurance policies through their work place.

fFrom the OP link:
...the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans “created” by the law or “offered through an exchange.”

"The OPM’s move is illegal. Congress passed an amendment to Obamacare that mandated that Congress and staff had to abide by it themselves. OPM doesn’t have the power to change the law any more than Obama had the power to delay the employer mandate."
The PJ Tatler » Congress Gets Its Own Obamacare Waiver
What does "created by the plan" mean??

I don't think many of you understand how the ACA works and the exchanges are set up, and who they are set up for....and they are NOT set up for ANYONE that has insurance provided to them through their employer, unless their employer does not offer to pay for a significant portion of the policy.

Exchanges are set up primarily for those employees who can not get employer contributed health insurance policies through their work place.

fFrom the OP link:
...the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans “created” by the law or “offered through an exchange.”

"The OPM’s move is illegal. Congress passed an amendment to Obamacare that mandated that Congress and staff had to abide by it themselves. OPM doesn’t have the power to change the law any more than Obama had the power to delay the employer mandate."

Written into the ACA law.

if an employer with over 50 employees does not offer a health care plan for their employees for which they contribute X percent for the cost of them, then the employer is breaking the ACA law....

According to the ACA employers MUST offer health care plans to full time employees...if they are a certain size and the fed certainly meets that requirement, and if the employer does not offer it then the employer is fined.

Are we going to fine the Federal gvt for not offering employer sponsored health care insurance for each employee that they have....?

Grassley and others, clearly did not understand the ACA when he slipped that in to legislation, IT MAKES NO SENSE????

That sounds great, except for the little detail that the actual LAW requires Congress and Staffers to use the exchanges just like the Small Folk will have to.

Mountains out of mole hills are abound. If your employer offers health insurance as a benefit, then you are NOT going to use the Exchange....the Exchange is for people who can NOT get employee contributed health insurance through their employer, or can not get an affordable health insurance policy through their work place because the employer is not contributing a certain percentage of the cost.

Only if you think those who make the laws should be exempt from the laws they pass.

No the fuck it does not. The government can offer employer contributed expenses to the federal government health care plan for employees, just like a private company with a 50 employee plus mandate. That IS the law.

I hope none of you are doing the HR work for your companies concerning health care.

Good grief.

fFrom the OP link:

heres the text;

Section 1312(d)(3)(D) of the Affordable Care Act- “The only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and their congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are created under this Act…or offered through an Exchange established under this Act.”

I for one think they should have to partake of their own handiwork, MANY MANY of others will have to take their chances, as their co's drop their coverage and pay the fine......why not them? I wonder if their coverage equals that Cadillac plan costs as described by the advocates of the aca where in it will be taxed heavily in 2017......

anyway it strikes me that the feds here and their unions like the treasury dept unions etc. don't want to have to do what others have to do and live with it, it begs the question- what are they afraid of?

No the fuck it does not. The government can offer employer contributed expenses to the federal government health care plan for employees, just like a private company with a 50 employee plus mandate. That IS the law.

I hope none of you are doing the HR work for your companies concerning health care.

Good grief.

good grief yourself...calm down jake, no meltdowns please....

if you disconnect the folks who are instrumental in making law you provide them with a cushion that they do not deserve simply becasue they call the tune, it protects them from their own handi work.

I would hope that they would welcome any law and their participation in it as perfectly applicable, to them.

If they face a cost issue why should they be immune? Because they work for the feds? I work for the feds and I say- screw that noise....as I said, will private co's be given the same latitude, can they make claims and be granted relief from the machinations in that obamacare may cost them valuable employees?

Deal Keeps U.S. Health Care Contribution for Congress
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration told Congress on Thursday that it would allow the federal government to continue paying a large share of the cost of health insurance for members of Congress and their aides, averting a problem for many who work on Capitol Hill.

However, under the arrangement, lawmakers and many of their aides will have to get coverage through new health insurance marketplaces, or exchanges, being set up in every state.

'let them eat cake'.....yea I think that can work;)

so, the IRS chief ( and his Treas. Union) say they'd rather stick with their Federal plan and not go thru 'the/a change'...well hello? Who wouldn't? But then again even the loyal foot soldiers of the admin. understand, and if they can avoid getting on 'the train', they will ...

The deal or carve out for the Unions is coming too, bet on it.

The only issue being when and whom; if Obama wasn't pathological about needing everyone less fortunate than him to love him, he'd set up Hillary as the go to on this, boosting her 2016 cache amongst the Unions, keeping them fully engaged, in line and loyal to her for the campaign.

Hill gets Obamacare fix

Lawmakers and staff can breathe easy — their health care tab is not going to soar next year.

The Office of Personnel Management, under heavy pressure from Capitol Hill, will issue a ruling that says the government can continue to make a contribution to the health care premiums of members of Congress and their aides, according to several Hill sources. …

Just Wednesday, POLITICO reported that President Barack Obama told Democratic senators that he was personally involved in finding a solution. …

Obama’s involvement in solving this impasse was unusual, to say the least. But it came after serious griping from both sides of the aisle about the potential of a “brain drain.” The fear, as told by sources in both parties, was that aides would head for more lucrative jobs, spooked by the potential for spiking health premiums.

snip-

The problem was rooted in the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans “created” by the law or “offered through an exchange.”

Read more: Hill gets Obamacare fix - John Bresnahan and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

Politico naturally does its best to cover for Obama ,example-; " the problem was rooted in text " that Grassley inserted...., no, thats a grasping, vapid and dishonest counter factual, the problem IS the Plan......

:rolleyes:

This won't even clue in one single liberal.

Not one will say; maybe this is a bad idea. If our leaders don't want it, at all, it can't be that good.

no, you're a racist Trajan, neeneer neeneer booboo, lalalalaican'thearthetruthlalalala

Stop it, Trajan. The far right is melting down and I am correcting them on the law.

You want Congress treated just like the rest of us? They are being treated like their contemporaries in corporate America.

You are going to have to accept that the far right and the reactionary libertarians have lost this issue forever.

if an employer with over 50 employees does not offer a health care plan for their employees for which they contribute X percent for the cost of them, then the employer is breaking the ACA law....

According to the ACA employers MUST offer health care plans to full time employees...if they are a certain size and the fed certainly meets that requirement, and if the employer does not offer it then the employer is fined.

Are we going to fine the Federal gvt for not offering employer sponsored health care insurance for each employee that they have....?

Grassley and others, clearly did not understand the ACA when he slipped that in to legislation, IT MAKES NO SENSE????

It's an amendment to the ACA law, from my understanding.

Sure it makes sense! Why should taxpayers expect less from their employees then what is expected of taxpayers? It also sets a good example.

“Members of Congress and their staff must go into the exchange,” said an administration official. “No ands, ifs, or buts. They will not be eligible in any way for subsidies or tax credits. But they don’t lose their current employer contribution.”
Congress is the only large employer that has to enter the exchanges — or is even allowed to do so.

In 2014, Congress gets Obamacare. Here?s how they?ll pay for it.

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration told Congress on Thursday that it would allow the federal government to continue paying a large share of the cost of health insurance for members of Congress and their aides, averting a problem for many who work on Capitol Hill.

However, under the arrangement, lawmakers and many of their aides will have to get coverage through new health insurance marketplaces, or exchanges, being set up in every state.

Dang...when Greenbeard agrees...
Did hell just freeze over? :lol:

Stop it, Trajan. The far right is melting down and I am correcting them on the law.

You want Congress treated just like the rest of us? They are being treated like their contemporaries in corporate America.

You are going to have to accept that the far right and the reactionary libertarians have lost this issue forever.

you possess critical thinking failures that is hard to surmise....:doubt:

what don't you get ala- private vs. government?

and what grassley had inserted is whats there, ask pelosi and reid they allowed it, did they not? thats one of the problems with whats been going on since almost day 1, whenever the gov. butts up against their inconvenient handiwork in this bill, they waive or delay or drop and just roll along as if not a thing is upset....all always seem to be going well and none of it means anything....

Says the Trajan just as his argument falls on its own inconsistency.

Bub, I could care less. :lol:

Your understanding, MeBelle, is mistaken.

I will disagree with your statement of my understanding.

If my understanding is mistaken, it's on me and I'll cop to it.

In the meantime, have you something to offer that will help my mistaken understanding?

and?

from your link-

The Obama administration told Congress on Thursday that it would allow the federal government to continue paying a large share of the cost of health insurance for members of Congress and their aides, averting a problem for many who work on Capitol Hill.

The House Democratic leader, Nancy Pelosi of California, welcomed the new arrangement, worked out by the White House and the United States Office of Personnel Management, under pressure from Congress. “Members of Congress and their staffs must enroll in health marketplaces, as the Affordable Care Act requires,” Ms. Pelosi said.

she not happy becasue theres a status quo....what was the 'new arrangement'? exactly?

Forum List

Back