Obama approves of same sex marriage

Is access to the law a right? Can someone be denied jurisprudential protection?

Seems to me that if you are wronged by a hospital or other entity court is your recourse not demands upon Washington DC.
Then what are your opinions on the Constitution of the United States of America? There's a clause in there that says a contract written in one state has to be honored in all other states. Full faith and credit. So, as new York State approves of same sex marriage and a couple wed there moves to say North Carolina, their marriage must be honored with the same level of considerations that New York State observes. In other words, if you're legally married in New York, you're just as legally married in North Carolina.

You are, of course, wrong. You know what they say about a little knowledge...

A great public stunt by Obama voicing support for something he doesn't really believe just to see his campaign donations surge. He's no different than any other politician when it comes to pulling stunts like this.

oh and this gem of course;

* June 17, 2011, 2:48 PM

White House’s Pfeiffer Draws Boos at Netroots Nation

MINNEAPOLIS –White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer’s appearance here at the Netroots Nation gathering was expected to be rough. But a chorus of boos from President Barack Obama’s progressive base?

Kaili Joy Gray, an editor for the liberal Daily Kos, asked Mr. Pfeiffer why Mr. Obama said he supported gay marriage on a candidate questionnaire when he ran for Illinois state Senate in 1996 but doesn’t now.

Not so, Mr. Pfeiffer insisted. The questionnaire, he said, was completed by a campaign aide, not Mr. Obama. The boos began.

“So it’s a fake questionnaire?” Ms. Gray asked as the chorus grew louder.

“The president has never favored same-sex marriage,” Mr. Pfeiffer said. “He is against it. The country is evolving on this, and he is evolving on it.”

That was one of the more awkward moments as the White House message man fielded questions at the conference of liberal activists and bloggers.

more at-

White House’s Pfeiffer Draws Boos at Netroots Nation - Washington Wire - WSJ

:lol:

oh and obama signed the form.

snip-

Obama wrote and signed a survey declaring: “I favor legalizing same sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” When he ran for president, Obama denied support for gay marriage while endorsing civil unions.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ance_do_you_believe_he_changed_his_mind_.html

Seems to me that if you are wronged by a hospital or other entity court is your recourse not demands upon Washington DC.
Then what are your opinions on the Constitution of the United States of America? There's a clause in there that says a contract written in one state has to be honored in all other states. Full faith and credit. So, as new York State approves of same sex marriage and a couple wed there moves to say North Carolina, their marriage must be honored with the same level of considerations that New York State observes. In other words, if you're legally married in New York, you're just as legally married in North Carolina.

I'm not sure exactly why you think he is wrong, but when I read his statement I thought of Article IV Section 2.1:

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Now whether or not that argument would sway the Supreme Court, I don't know, but that seems to me to be the point NK was making.

Immie

Last edited:
You may or may not be right. I'm not a scholar. But gay marriage is not q right…

No one ever said it was, and anyone who says so is wrong. Indeed, there is no such thing as ‘gay marriage’ to begin with.

There is, however, a right to equal access to the law, including marriage law with regard to same-sex couples.

…nor is it a federal issue imo.

Ideally, yes.

Unfortunately when states refuse to follow the 14th Amendment’s mandate to allow their citizens equal access to the law, those adversely effected have no other option but to seek relief in Federal court.

Again, the entire issue can be avoided if states simply followed the Constitution.

I'm not sure exactly why you think he is wrong, but when I read his statement I thought of Article IV Section 2.1:

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Now whether or not that argument would sway the Supreme Court, I don't know, but that seems to me to be the point NK was making.

Immie

Defense of Marriage Act, 1996.

Now that the king has spoken how long until he smites the GOP and parts the seas so the oppressed gay folk can escape to the promise land?
The question is how long will the homophobes in the GOP continue to believe that denying rights because they feel like it is a popular position?

Unless and until a rational argument against same sex marriage is made, it will be inevitable. But, no such argument exists. The only arguments I've heard involve a deep suspicion and hatred of homosexuals. In America, you can't deny someone their inalienable rights because you hate and fear them. Something tangible has to be presented.

Marriage is not a right.

Next contestant.....

Equal protection is a right.

The first amendment of the constitution gives me the RIGHT to oppose GAYS. The day you try to silence any ones freedom of speech is the day this country isn't free anymore.

I have a right to oppose gays and their destruction of marriage! What's so wrong with standing up for what you believe in? You can disagree with me, but isn't that why our system was developed in the first place for. For people to peacefully disagree and fight for our beliefs.

If you support GAY marriage so much, then you shouldn't have a problem with the pic below, right? Would that make you charge your vote with Obama? :eusa_whistle:

Attachments

• $obamabidenkiss.jpg
    $obamabidenkiss.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Immie

Defense of Marriage Act, 1996.

However, I think his statement was that there was a clause IN the Constitution that stated that states must give reciprical rights in reference to the laws of other states, paraphrased. That was what the discussion was about. You stated he was wrong. DOMA aside (it is not an amendment) NK is correct that Article IV Section 2.1 does in fact require such reciprocity.

Is that correct?

Immie

The first amendment of the constitution gives me the RIGHT to oppose GAYS. The day you try to silence any ones freedom of speech is the day this country isn't free anymore.

I have a right to oppose gays and their destruction of marriage! What's so wrong with standing up for what you believe in? You can disagree with me, but isn't that why our system was developed in the first place for. For people to peacefully disagree and fight for our beliefs.

If you support GAY marriage so much, then you shouldn't have a problem with the pic below, right? Would that make you charge your vote with Obama? :eusa_whistle:
You're quite right. You do have the right to speak you mind and tell us how you believe that same sex marriage is, in your view, destructive.

What you do not have the right to do, however, is legislate against people because you think what they do is icky.

A crime has to be committed and a trial held and a conviction secured in order to lock someone up or otherwise deny them freedom. Are homosexuals committing crimes by simply being homosexuals? Do homosexuals work in society? Do they pay taxes and vote?

The ACLU supports bigots rights, like everyone elses. You should be fine.

So Obama's 12 year old daughter advised Obama on same sex marriage? That was in his speech?

You're quite right. You do have the right to speak you mind and tell us how you believe that same sex marriage is, in your view, destructive.

What you do not have the right to do, however, is legislate against people because you think what they do is icky.

A crime has to be committed and a trial held and a conviction secured in order to lock someone up or otherwise deny them freedom. Are homosexuals committing crimes by simply being homosexuals? Do homosexuals work in society? Do they pay taxes and vote?

I imagine many Romans thought as you, I wonder if given the chance would they have changed their ways?

As already correctly noted, only to the extent that opposition doesn’t result in the codification of your hate and ignorance, as there is no objective evidence equal access rights for same-sex couples would in any way wold be detrimental to society in general or marriage in particular.

Otherwise, conservative ignorance of the law and contempt for the Constitution is astounding:

"I don't think it's a matter of civil rights. I think it's just a matter of whether or not we're going to adhere to something that's been historical and religious and legal in this country for many, many years," Priebus said. "I mean, marriage has to have a definition, and we just happen to believe it's between a man and woman."

Priebus: Same-sex marriage isn’t a civil rights issue – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

A practice offensive to the Constitution is no less offensive and illegal simply because it’s ‘historic’ or ‘traditional.’

Miscegenation and segregation were both considered ‘traditions.’

Forum List

Back