Obama: ‘Apology’ in Cairo embassy attack was ‘an effort to cool the situation down

There was no ‘apology,’ neither from the president nor embassy:

Mitt Romney claims the Obama administration issued an “apology for American values” after U.S. embassies were attacked. Not true. Romney refers to a statement issued before mobs attacked either in Egypt or Libya, and faults U.S. diplomats for failing to condemn actions that hadn’t yet happened.

Furthermore, the word “sorry” or “apologize” doesn’t appear in the statement. Under the headline, “U.S. Embassy Condemns Religious Incitement,” the embassy in Cairo said, “Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy.”

Romney has falsely accused Obama of “apologizing for America” many times before. The line has been a dependable applause-getter with conservative audiences. But we found no basis for this claim in Obama’s previous speeches and remarks. And other fact-checkers came to similar conclusions.

FactCheck.org : Romney Gets It Backward

“Tell a lie often enough, in the hope it’s perceived as true.”

- Conservative credo
We have the majority of the nation in disagreement.

Compare and contrast the Embassy statement, aka the infamous 'apology':

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others...

...to Mitt Romney's statement, aka 'apology', three days ago:

And the idea of using something that some people consider sacred and then parading that out a negative way is simply inappropriate and wrong. And I wish people wouldn’t do it. Of course, we have a First Amendment. And under the First Amendment, people are allowed to do what they feel they want to do. They have the right to do that, but it’s not right to do things that are of the nature of what was done by, apparently this film.

Who wants to show us a dime's worth of difference between the two????

Specifics, please.

Doesn't ANYONE who thinks the embassy statement was an apology want to tell us why Mitt Romney's statement, which btw was long AFTER the attack,

was NOT an apology?

ANYONE?

because the Obama embassy apology was their FIRST response to violence.....

that statement you quoted by Romney was NOT his first response....

THIS is Romney's first response after the embassy apology....“it’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

^Another stupid poster who thinks Condemnation means Apology. Or else he is even more stupid in letting others think for him..and lead him around by the nose.

^Another stupid poster who thinks Condemnation means Apology. Or else he is even more stupid in letting others think for him..and lead him around by the nose.

^Another stupid poster who doesn't know the difference between Condemning the victim and Condemning the aggressor. Actually Homey, condemning the victim is in fact pretty equivalent to an apology to the aggressor.

^Another stupid poster who doesn't know the difference between Condemning the victim and Condemning the aggressor. Actually Homey, condemning the victim is in fact pretty equivalent to an apology to the aggressor.

Condemnations are NOT Apologies....and having watched parts of that so-called movie, I condemn it too....for failing to have ANY redeeming qualities. I bet you liked it.

Last edited:

What's so 'bad' about this:
" During a CBS interview last night President Obama distanced himself from the “apology” issued by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, suggesting that it was merely an effort by the staff to “cool the situation down.”

“It didn’t come from me. It didn’t come from Secretary Clinton,” Obama said. “It came from folks on the ground who are potentially in danger. And my tendency is to cut those folks a little bit of slack when they’re in that circumstance rather than try to question their judgment from the comfort of a campaign office.”

“The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions,” the embassy said in a statement in reaction to the attack."

What's the big deal? Should the embassies and consulates just have released a statement that told the people in their host country (where they are fucking outnumbered) to go FUCK themselves? Or would you people call that an 'apology' too? :lol:

Condemnations are NOT Apologies....and having watched parts of that so-called movie, I condemn it too....for failing to have ANY redeeming qualities. I bet you liked it.

Gotcha, if I hate Muslim radicals for murdering people over a movie, then I probably hate Muslims. You have just clearly shown one thing to be true, you're an asshole.

" During a CBS interview last night President Obama distanced himself from the “apology” issued by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, suggesting that it was merely an effort by the staff to “cool the situation down.”

“It didn’t come from me. It didn’t come from Secretary Clinton,” Obama said. “It came from folks on the ground who are potentially in danger. And my tendency is to cut those folks a little bit of slack when they’re in that circumstance rather than try to question their judgment from the comfort of a campaign office.”

“The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions,” the embassy said in a statement in reaction to the attack."

What's the big deal? Should the embassies and consulates just have released a statement that told the people in their host country (where they are fucking outnumbered) to go FUCK themselves? Or would you people call that an 'apology' too? :lol:

You and I know it wouldn't have mattered WHAT he said or if he'd said nothing at all....this isn't about the Condemnation....it's all politics and trying to take advantage of the Deaths of 4 Americans.

“It didn’t come from me. It didn’t come from Secretary Clinton,” Obama said

Obama's standard for Bush was that Bush was personally responsible for the action of every Federal civilian and military employee. His standard for himself is zero.

Gotcha, if I hate Muslim radicals for murdering people over a movie, then I probably hate Muslims. You have just clearly shown one thing to be true, you're an asshole.

Oh, I hate them too...Rioters are stupid people following a destructive herd mentality....but I'm trying to stick with the topic of this thread. Surely you can see that, right?

You and I know it wouldn't have mattered WHAT he said or if he'd said nothing at all....this isn't about the Condemnation....it's all politics and trying to take advantage of the Deaths of 4 Americans.

Whether you agree or disagree with the movie, when people are murdered over it, condemning the view of the movie as the first course of action is pathetic. You were in the military and that's your view of freedom? It only applies to people you agree with?

That's not leadership.

If a right winger had murdered people over a Michael Moore movie and the first response of a Republican administration was to condemn Michael Moore's intolerance then you would suddenly get the point. No idea what you're smoking that you don't even get how this relates to the point. It's it a bit early in the day to be stoned?

Doesn't ANYONE who thinks the embassy statement was an apology want to tell us why Mitt Romney's statement, which btw was long AFTER the attack,

was NOT an apology?

ANYONE?

THIS is Romney's first response after the embassy apology....“it’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

how's the word KOWTOWING work for ya instead.........? :eusa_whistle:

Whereas possibly at RNC, the Mideast protesters are simply regarded at prayers, just like Tea Party hurling racial epithets: That actually in Australia, the approach was more in terms like, "You are behaving like violent extremists--The Romney-Ryan Brand(?)--then you are going to be treated like violent exremists!" In Australia the protestors were detained.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

In the United States, the apparent film-maker himself: Was detained.

In Libya, Syria, Egypt, Afghanistan--or anyplace with bitter recollections or what RNC had done to them already--and intends for them again--then a phone call to the local police station was likely not going to work--even then.

At RNC, of course--clearly understanding prayers when they see them--that is not to be believed! Anyone notes the reactions from RNC, that all of these governments should have come to the rescue. They could. Romney-Ryan oppose all spending, except for cost-over-runs at the Pentagon. Romney-Ryan is a major study in intransigence.

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
("Bitter Clingers," on lands of many nations: Now finally celebrate, 'Seven Come Eleven!"

It is also not kowtowing to say "that movie is not representative of American beliefs and ideals."

It isn't. It should be soundly and roundly condemned by all Americans.

Compare and contrast the Embassy statement, aka the infamous 'apology':

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others...

...to Mitt Romney's statement, aka 'apology', three days ago:

And the idea of using something that some people consider sacred and then parading that out a negative way is simply inappropriate and wrong. And I wish people wouldn’t do it. Of course, we have a First Amendment. And under the First Amendment, people are allowed to do what they feel they want to do. They have the right to do that, but it’s not right to do things that are of the nature of what was done by, apparently this film.

Who wants to show us a dime's worth of difference between the two????

Specifics, please.

was NOT an apology?

ANYONE?

The Obama administration NEVER sympathized with the killers. Ever.

What kind of people are you anyway? I've never seen people like you who are so shamelessly dishonest.

What was your upbringing that caused you to turn out like that?

It is also not kowtowing to say "that movie is not representative of American beliefs and ideals."

It isn't. It should be soundly and roundly condemned by all Americans.

You mustn't forget or underestimate how much outright sympathy for and agreement with all this anti-Muslim rhetoric and sentiment there is on the Right.

Remember, these are same people who have been fighting all across the country to keep mosques out of their communities, or at least sympathizing with the same.

Forum List

Back