Obama apologizes to Nancy Reagan for 'careless' joke

The wingnuts seem to have difficulty ascertaining the difference between someone who's not very bright acting accordingly and someone really smart who misspeaks. They're already trying to make it seem like both Biden and Obama are just like the guy who said "don't misunderestimate me".
these were NOT things he "misspoke"

Someone really smart who misspeaks. :D

Here's the thing with Obama, he can read and deliver a script very well. Off the cuff, he's just an ordinary guy - bumbling, stuttering and stammering. There are many youtubes and soundbites out there to corroborate this observation.

At points throughout his presidency, he is going to have to make impromptu speeches or answer questions on topics that he may have only superficial knowledge. You simply can't script real life or the presidency. As soon as he and his supporters acknowledge that he is human and humans are prone to error, the happier they will be. I suspect that won't happen and we'll suffer through 4 years of deflection and excuses.

I don't see a recognition of his being human anytime soon being forthcoming. Did you see his first news conference? Office of the President-Elect? At the very top, is that the Presidential Seal? I dunno but it's the first time in my quite long life that I've seen that presumptuousness. Usually by the next day, the huge responsibility sets in. Not for Barack, seems hubris is too large, at least in public.

IMO he showed the class to at least apologize and admit his gaffe.

It was a joke, what's wrong with our country that we can't even take a joke?

BTW, I was against Obama I believe he will bring our country to ruin, but then again, so would McCain. I will give Obama my support up until he does something deserving of my distrust, and I hope and pray I was wrong about him.

she is an old lady who has outlived the love of her life...her kids are spiteful....no matter what you thought of her..she was totally loyal and protective of her husband till the end of his days. you have to give her respect for that.

No I don't. She broke up his first marriage after all. I take points away for that. Kind of makes her even, actually less than even since she spent $200,000 on china for the whitehouse after Reagan told us we needed to tighten our belts, and to top that off, it was really ugly china. :lol:

I thought the idiocy was Nancy's for consulting an astrologer. Palin is not a part of this particular equation.

To denigrate this woman after what she went through is classless.

I had a mother-in-law, God rest her soul, who had Alzheimer's. She didn't know how to bathe herself, didn't remember if she ate or not, wandered around the neighborhood at all hours having to be brought back by the police. She didn't really know who I was nor her son. She was a beautiful and healthy lady and what this disease did to her was so unfair. She suffered and we suffered too as we helplessly watched the disease take her life.

You really have no shame in going after anyone in the republican party. Not everyone is fair game. Try to use some scruples next time.

No I don't. She broke up his first marriage after all. I take points away for that. Kind of makes her even, actually less than even since she spent $200,000 on china for the whitehouse after Reagan told us we needed to tighten our belts, and to top that off, it was really ugly china. :lol:

Why are women the marriage breakers? I think Ronald Reagan made a conscious decision to leave his first wife. It takes two to tango.

Last edited:
and, amazingly, he's still about 1,000 times smarter than the dude you voted for twice. worry about your own house.

Prove it.

Just kidding, don't waste your time, you can't because his academic records have not been disclosed. We just know he's smart because.... well....he told us so!

Seances!! Hahaha!! I thought it was a funny joke. Why should he apologize?

The Rotten Library said:
After the shooting, First Lady Nancy heard from her part-time astrologer, Joan Quigley, that they could have and would have predicted that March 30 was destined to be a bad day for her husband... if only Quigley had been on the payroll. Rather than risk a similar incident happening, Nancy decided that it would be prudent to keep the astrologer in the loop. She ordered dedicated phone lines be installed at the White House and Camp David, just so she would never be without the wisdom of the Zodiac.

For the next eight years, Quigley determined the most opportune timing for all of the President's crucial activities. The First Lady would furnish Ronnie's tentative itinerary, which the astrologer would optimize and return. Then the White House staff would make the necessary adjustments. This tinkering affected the scheduling of press conferences, Air Force One departures, even the timing of international summits.

As former White House Chief of Staff Don Regan later wrote in his memoirs:

Although I had never met this seer -- Mrs. Reagan passed along her prognostications to me after conferring with her on the telephone -- she had become such a factor in my work, and in the highest affairs of the nation, that at one point I kept a color-coded calendar on my desk (numerals highlighted in green ink for "good" days, red for "bad" days, yellow for "iffy" days) as an aid to remembering when it was propitious to move the president of the United States from one place to another, or schedule him to speak in public, or commence negotiations with a foreign power.

Following the astrologer's instructions, the selection of Anthony Kennedy for the Supreme Court was announced to the press at precisely 11:32:25 A.M. According to Quigley's memoir, the President was cued by "a man with a stopwatch" to make sure he hit the exact moment. (She does not mention whether she gave similar assistance to the President's two previous selections to fill that seat, archconservative Robert Bork and former pot smoker Douglas Ginsburg, who both failed to gain Senate confirmation.)

Ronnie was himself a superstitious man. He always carried a lucky charm in his pocket. He knocked on wood, avoided walking under ladders, and made a habit of tossing salt over his left shoulder before each meal. So it shouldn't be surprising that the astrology stuff would appeal to him. Throughout the 1950s, Ron and Nancy sought out the services of Carroll Righter, astrologer to the stars. When Reagan won California's governor seat, he scheduled his inauguration for 12:10 A.M., on Righter's insistence. And in the 1960s, Ron had been consulting with psychic Jeane Dixon over whether to run for President someday.

Somehow, none of this ever seemed to bother the Christian right. Bear in mind that, to a fundamentalist Christian, astrology is practically witchcraft. It's divination, which is specifically prohibited by the Bible. So it's a little surprising that people like Jerry Falwell would be so happy to show his support. But despite Reagan's persistent and ongoing reliance upon the dark arts, they knew that he was their guy.

Ronald Reagan

Note: Obviously not trying to pass this as a credible source, but it's nonetheless a fun read.

I don't see a recognition of his being human anytime soon being forthcoming. Did you see his first news conference? Office of the President-Elect? At the very top, is that the Presidential Seal? I dunno but it's the first time in my quite long life that I've seen that presumptuousness. Usually by the next day, the huge responsibility sets in. Not for Barack, seems hubris is too large, at least in public.

I did see that ..... and yes I thought it was a bit unconventional. :tongue:

Why are women the marriage breakers? I think Ronald Reagan made a conscience decision to leave his first wife. It takes two to tango.

IMO though the one who breaks up the marriage is the one from outside the marriage, she/he already knows that person is attached and should be avoided at all costs.

My parents were divorced for awhile and my mother dated a man that was still married, as soon as she found out, she dumped him and said "come back when you're divorced".

He ended up back with his wife and my mother ended up remarrying my dad. Now had my mother not been so honorable TWO families may have been broken instead of fixed.

IMO though the one who breaks up the marriage is the one from outside the marriage, she/he already knows that person is attached and should be avoided at all costs.

My parents were divorced for awhile and my mother dated a man that was still married, as soon as she found out, she dumped him and said "come back when you're divorced".

He ended up back with his wife and my mother ended up remarrying my dad. Now had my mother not been so honorable TWO families may have been broken instead of fixed.
but you are WRONG

aside from the fact she was flat out WRONG

Ronald Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jane WYmann filed for divorce in 1948 a full year before Ron even MET Nancy

Well, I will apologize for being wrong, except I don't usually accept wikipedia as a credible source since anyone can post anything on it. However, I will assume that wikipedia isn't the only place you got the information from and believe you. My information was from my mother, who wasn't always right, though I tend to think she was.

Prove it.

Just kidding, don't waste your time, you can't because his academic records have not been disclosed. We just know he's smart because.... well....he told us so!

well we do know he was elected editor of the Harvard Law review and we do know he graduated Harvard Magna Cum Laude. Both require some measure of intellect wouldn't you agree?

Kath, I think most liberals admit that President Elect is human...it's just the cons who refuse to acknowledge it...haven't you noticed they are the only ones who refer to him as the messiah? it's called projecting and/or transference.

As for the sign with the Presidential seal...well he is the President Elect... I believe he's earned the right at this point.

well we do know he was elected editor of the Harvard Law review and we do know he graduated Harvard Magna Cum Laude. Both require some measure of intellect wouldn't you agree?

Kath, I think most liberals admit that President Elect is human...it's just the cons who refuse to acknowledge it...haven't you noticed they are the only ones who refer to him as the messiah? it's called projecting and/or transference.

As for the sign with the Presidential seal...well he is the President Elect... I believe he's earned the right at this point.

I don't deny that Obama is a smart man, but if he did do so well as you claim, why won't he release his college and law school records? Perhaps, it's not as gleaming as one would expect.

Not necesarily, considering he was black and had affirmative action going for him. I had a friend that got into Harvard with a scholarship and he couldn't go...didn't have the money to cover it all, and his folks were upper middle class. I still have to wonder how Obama managed to get into Harvard, then again he could have gotten a scholarship like my niece did that covered EVERYTHING and got it just because she was black, didn't need any specific grades or anything, they even bought her a computer.

Well, I will apologize for being wrong, except I don't usually accept wikipedia as a credible source since anyone can post anything on it. However, I will assume that wikipedia isn't the only place you got the information from and believe you. My information was from my mother, who wasn't always right, though I tend to think she was.
i only used Wiki cause it came up first in my search
i knew this to be a fact even before i looked
your mom was wrong on this

I agree, about the 'Messiah' thing, I have noticed over and over, including today one of Obama's former Harvard professors, referring to him as, "The One." The capital O being there. Paraphrasing, 'As people got to know him, they recognized he was The One.' Cultish in my opinion.

Perhaps though, reality will set in. The country is in for a serious time of economic woe and those threats that many think are not, show little sign of abating.

I hope he's half as smart as so many are saying.

Forum List

Back