Community Service, a really scary concept, REALLY SCARY ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Contessa_Sharra, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Drawing the Lines of Battle: Obama seeks required community service for kids.

Obama seeks more control of my kids. No way.

Posted by: paulseale
    Friday, November 7, 2008 at 02:46PM CST

This:
    Is a truly stupid statement...

My son, here in California, as part of his graduation requirement, to grad HS, was required to do 40 hours of Community service. He worked at the Hospice Thrift Store. It didn't do him any harm at all, and in fact gave him a nice reference for his starting resume. Community service is about reading to old people in Convalescent hospitals, and working in after school tutoring programs, and maybe helping pass out food at the local food bank, among many other things. Children thinking that they should only live by ME, ME, ME, and that they communities owe them their every whim is a mistake.

My opinion of the entitlement accruing to the writer's children is WTF, and we will see them down the way when life has kicked their asses a bit. Gad, a few more selfish snotty little shits to haunts the local mall!!! Heaven forbid they should actually contribute a little time to the communities where they live.

The concept is not new.

School requirement

Groups within some schools, some places require community service, as does Jr League (their raison d'etre), Rainbow Girls, Job's Daughters, Cheerleaders.....................

Sometimes kids need to be pushed a little to do the right thing, rather than being encouraged to believe they are owed everything.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    When I was in High School we had to do some amount of community service to graduate, it wasn't that long ago and I honestly can't even remember what I did. That should give you some idea of what a "positive" effect forced volunteering has on students. However, if a parent had a problem with this policy the were free to send their child to a different school that didn't force them to do community service. Though I'm sure a majority of schools now do this anyway.

The difference here is that Obama wants to make this a nationwide policy for every student in every school. Though he wasn't exactly clear on whether it was 50 hours each year of middle school and high school, he was clear that it would be a required 100 hours of community service for every year in college.

I'm in college right now and I can assure you that I don't have the time to do 100 hours of community service in all the years I'll be here, let alone 100 for each year. The fact of the matter is that I'm an adult, and I'm fully capable of making decisions about what I want to do with my own life. I don't need the government's help. I'm also not a drain on the government or taxpayers in any way as I don't require any loans, grants, or scholarships.

This system implies that the government owns my life. The Constitution does not give the government any authority to force me to volunteer for anything. I have nothing against community service, I think it's a great thing. But I can assure you I have no intention of following a government mandated community service program.

As far as younger children in middle school or high school are concerned, I don't think the government is needed to force them to do anything either. Their parents, churches, and communities can ask them, or in the parents case force them, to volunteer; but the federal government is not necessary.

Sorry for the length, but I just wanted to clarify my position on this.

3. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I'm all for required community service. In fact I would be in favor of everyone doing 2 years of service for their country, < not necessarily saying military here> when they graduate from highschool. In return, our country should give them 2 years of education in any college or vocational school. Truth is that once upon a time, you could get a job right out of highschool and make a living wage, today that's not true, so we must expand our education system.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I could see it happening here - NOT. People would scream blue murder at the thought of their precious little ones having to actually do something for the community.

This is a contribution by me to the "what's wrong with my country" effort.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    If mandated then there shouldn't be compensation. If voluntary, then there shouldn't be compensation. Now want to set something up like military, make the sacrifice equal, then I'll get behind it.

6. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    You may not remember, but perhaps someone you heped or did something for remembers you, that you were kind, or nice, and how much they appreciated that.

You cannot manage to give the equivalent of two hours a week?

No, but you do owe your life and all you have to the combined efforts of the COMMUNITY, that which has maintained you, back through all your ancestors. They laid the foundation upon which you base it all. That business about how you have done it all fior yourself with no help from anyone is a real crock!

Myth: Early Americans built this land on rugged individualism

Down by the Lemonade Springs: Essays on Wallace Stegner - Google Books Result start on page 18

The Myth of American Rugged Individualism ~~ Beard

Living Ethics: An American Myth

Just cannot manage two hours a week, huh, hmmmmm!!!

Some habits are best taught young, that they become second nature. Caring for a community and the people in it is a good habit.... It carries over into general attitude. AND reciprocity....

Isolation is not a thing that works for most humans....

7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    OK when does it stop?

First the government orders you to work for free for 2 and a half weeks, then what a required salary reduction for charitable donations?

And really how good does volunteering look on a college app when the kid was forced to do it?

That's like putting "My mom made me clean my room and take out the trash", on a resume

IMHO Obama has a vision of the country where everyone is a municipal employee

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I advocate a four year stint in either our military or in civilan conservation corps which entitles ALL KIDS to a full boat scholarship in any school (regardless of cost) they can get into.

9. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    MY wife and I led the homeschooling revolution here in San Diego in the 1980's. We homeschooled all of our natural and adopted children. Part of their education was an obligation to serve the community. My daughters used to go to "old age homes" (convalescent facilities) where grandparents are often "parked" while the younger generations go about their lives ignoring the elder former member of their family.

The daughters would read to and simply visit with the older people.

Though my sons did other things, like become soccer referees and other things related to youth sports, I think my daughters' contribution was the most rewarding emotionally to the youngsters.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Do you have a point? Other than in your opinion community service did no harm to your child?

Typical liberal mindset. Who cares what rights get trampled so long as YOU agree with it.