Obama and Rezko

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
Hmm...someone hasn't been honest....what a suprise....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/844634,obamasun031508.article

Rezko helped bankroll Obama in five election runs — for the state Senate, U.S. House and U.S. Senate. The savvy businessman with the North Shore mansion could bring in as much as $70,000 from political donors in one night. In the heat of a campaign, Obama said he sometimes talked strategy with Rezko daily.

Then, during political down-times, Rezko was his lunch or breakfast companion, more concerned about Obama, his wife and daughters than with posing for snapshots with the senator as he rose from political obscurity to Democratic presidential hopeful. On one occasion, Obama recalled, they wiled away time with their wives at Rezko’s Lake Geneva estate.

This portrait of Rezko emerged during an 80-minute interview Friday with the Chicago Sun-Times that marked the first time the senator has spoken in-depth about his relationship with the indicted businessman, who’s on trial on corruption charges involving allegations he orchestrated political kickback schemes in the Blagojevich administration.

The interview followed months in which Obama had avoided questions about Rezko and tried to downplay their relationship. With the Pennsylvania primary looming in five weeks, Obama said he hoped to clear the air about his ties to Rezko.

“We want to put the sense that we’re not being forthcoming behind us as quickly as possible,” Obama said.

The senator disclosed that Rezko had raised far more campaign cash for him than previously known. He said he was “saddened” by his friend’s troubles but would be “disappointed” if Rezko ends up convicted. For the first time, Obama said he was disturbed that Rezko had allowed low-income housing Rezko developed to fall apart. And he said that, although he had made a mistake in buying a piece of property from Rezko, “Does it speak to a trend of mine? No.”

Is Rezko still a friend?

“Yes,” Obama said, “with the caveat that, obviously, if it turns out the allegations are true, then he’s not who I thought he was. And I’d be very disappointed with that.”

Obama said he hasn’t talked with Rezko since the businessman’s October 2006 indictment. During their last conversation, Obama said he asked Rezko about his mounting legal problems, and Rezko responded that “his lawyers had been talking to the U.S. attorney’s office, and it’s all getting resolved.”

Though Rezko was wrong on that front, Obama insisted there was nothing impure about his relationship with the Syrian immigrant who offered him a job out of Harvard Law School in 1990.

“He never asked me for anything,” Obama said. “He never did any favors for me, other than obviously supporting my campaigns. He never gave me any gifts, gave me no indication he was setting me up to ask for favors in the future.”

Obama acknowledged that Rezko had raised $250,000 for him — about $100,000 more than had previously been disclosed and about five times more than Obama conveyed during a November 2006 question-and-answer exchange with the Sun-Times.

Obama also defended signing a 1998 letter urging the state to fund a low-income housing project developed by Rezko and Obama’s former boss, Allison Davis — both of whom were clients of Obama’s law firm as well as campaign contributors. Obama said he didn’t remember writing the “form letter” until the Sun-Times asked about it last June. This was not one of the Rezko developments that fell into disrepair.

The senator began the unusual session with Sun-Times reporters and editors by recounting his relationship with Rezko, which he said began when Rezko and two of his partners tried to recruit him out of law school for a job at Rezko’s development firm, Rezmar. He said he met with them in Chicago for about 45 minutes.

“My assessment of Tony Rezko was that he was an immigrant who had sort of pulled himself up by his bootstraps,” Obama recalled. “Somebody who was active not only in the political scene generally, but also had links to the African-American community. I think he saw me as somebody who had talent, but he was probably also intrigued by my international background and the fact that I had lived in Asia and that I knew something about his culture in the Middle East.”

Obama turned down the job. But he continued to bump into Rezko, he said, because both were active in supporting former state Sen. Alice Palmer, whom Obama eventually would replace.

“We were both active in Alice Palmer’s campaign, so I got to know him at that point, and he was obviously somebody who was supportive of political campaigns. So it’s not surprising that, when I decided I might be interested in running, it might be worthwhile asking him if he’d be interested in supporting me.”

Rezko did just that. In the heat of Obama’s campaigns, the two men would talk daily. But once the politics died down, the senator said, they were simply friends.

“We’d continue to have lunches or breakfasts. We’d talk about politics. We’d talk about family. . . . Even visited [his] home in Lake Geneva once for the day,” Obama said.

“Something that I always appreciated was he was not one of these people who wanted pictures taken all the time or was constantly calling for you to show up at things. He was a very gracious individual.”

Obama picked Rezko for the campaign finance committee for his 2004 U.S. Senate run. Around that same time, Rezko had begun walking away from affordable-housing projects he was building with government funds, leaving some in squalor — including some buildings in Obama’s own Illinois Senate district. Obama said he knew nothing of those problems.

Had Obama known, he said he would have talked to Rezko about the problems. “I think it is deeply troubling he did not keep these properties up, and I am very disappointed in that,” Obama said.

After Rezko helped Obama win the U.S. Senate seat, Obama approached Rezko about the house Obama now owns in Kenwood. The house has become a political headache for Obama because Rezko’s wife bought the vacant lot next door, with Obama and Rita Rezko closing on their transactions on the same day in June 2005.

Lter, in January 2006, Obama bought a 10-foot-wide strip of Rita Rezko’s lot at a time when Rezko was widely known to be under federal investigation — a move Obama called “absolutely a mistake.”

After touring the Kenwood home with Rezko and his real estate agent, Rezko “expressed some interest potentially in purchasing the lot,” which remains zoned to accommodate town homes or a small condominium building.

“My basic view at that time was having somebody who I knew, a friend of mine, who would be developing the lot if he could, would be great. It would be somebody who we know.”

Why didn’t alarm bells sound when it was known Rezko was under investigation? “Probably because I had known him for a long time, he had acted in an aboveboard manner with me, and I considered him a friend,” Obama said.

Rita Rezko has since sold the lot, and plans call for a single-family home to be built there, Obama said.

The deal remains campaign fodder for Obama’s presidential primary opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton. So does Rezko’s trial. It started two weeks ago, and Obama’s name has come up twice in court.

Now, the senator has decided it was time to talk about his friend.

“I’m saddened for him. I’m saddened for his family.”

Hmm...someone hasn't been honest....what a suprise....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/844634,obamasun031508.article

Rezko helped bankroll Obama in five election runs — for the state Senate, U.S. House and U.S. Senate. The savvy businessman with the North Shore mansion could bring in as much as $70,000 from political donors in one night. In the heat of a campaign, Obama said he sometimes talked strategy with Rezko daily.

Then, during political down-times, Rezko was his lunch or breakfast companion, more concerned about Obama, his wife and daughters than with posing for snapshots with the senator as he rose from political obscurity to Democratic presidential hopeful. On one occasion, Obama recalled, they wiled away time with their wives at Rezko’s Lake Geneva estate.

This portrait of Rezko emerged during an 80-minute interview Friday with the Chicago Sun-Times that marked the first time the senator has spoken in-depth about his relationship with the indicted businessman, who’s on trial on corruption charges involving allegations he orchestrated political kickback schemes in the Blagojevich administration.

The interview followed months in which Obama had avoided questions about Rezko and tried to downplay their relationship. With the Pennsylvania primary looming in five weeks, Obama said he hoped to clear the air about his ties to Rezko.

“We want to put the sense that we’re not being forthcoming behind us as quickly as possible,” Obama said.

The senator disclosed that Rezko had raised far more campaign cash for him than previously known. He said he was “saddened” by his friend’s troubles but would be “disappointed” if Rezko ends up convicted. For the first time, Obama said he was disturbed that Rezko had allowed low-income housing Rezko developed to fall apart. And he said that, although he had made a mistake in buying a piece of property from Rezko, “Does it speak to a trend of mine? No.”

Is Rezko still a friend?

“Yes,” Obama said, “with the caveat that, obviously, if it turns out the allegations are true, then he’s not who I thought he was. And I’d be very disappointed with that.”

Obama said he hasn’t talked with Rezko since the businessman’s October 2006 indictment. During their last conversation, Obama said he asked Rezko about his mounting legal problems, and Rezko responded that “his lawyers had been talking to the U.S. attorney’s office, and it’s all getting resolved.”

Though Rezko was wrong on that front, Obama insisted there was nothing impure about his relationship with the Syrian immigrant who offered him a job out of Harvard Law School in 1990.

“He never asked me for anything,” Obama said. “He never did any favors for me, other than obviously supporting my campaigns. He never gave me any gifts, gave me no indication he was setting me up to ask for favors in the future.”

Obama acknowledged that Rezko had raised $250,000 for him — about $100,000 more than had previously been disclosed and about five times more than Obama conveyed during a November 2006 question-and-answer exchange with the Sun-Times.

Obama also defended signing a 1998 letter urging the state to fund a low-income housing project developed by Rezko and Obama’s former boss, Allison Davis — both of whom were clients of Obama’s law firm as well as campaign contributors. Obama said he didn’t remember writing the “form letter” until the Sun-Times asked about it last June. This was not one of the Rezko developments that fell into disrepair.

The senator began the unusual session with Sun-Times reporters and editors by recounting his relationship with Rezko, which he said began when Rezko and two of his partners tried to recruit him out of law school for a job at Rezko’s development firm, Rezmar. He said he met with them in Chicago for about 45 minutes.

“My assessment of Tony Rezko was that he was an immigrant who had sort of pulled himself up by his bootstraps,” Obama recalled. “Somebody who was active not only in the political scene generally, but also had links to the African-American community. I think he saw me as somebody who had talent, but he was probably also intrigued by my international background and the fact that I had lived in Asia and that I knew something about his culture in the Middle East.”

Obama turned down the job. But he continued to bump into Rezko, he said, because both were active in supporting former state Sen. Alice Palmer, whom Obama eventually would replace.

“We were both active in Alice Palmer’s campaign, so I got to know him at that point, and he was obviously somebody who was supportive of political campaigns. So it’s not surprising that, when I decided I might be interested in running, it might be worthwhile asking him if he’d be interested in supporting me.”

Rezko did just that. In the heat of Obama’s campaigns, the two men would talk daily. But once the politics died down, the senator said, they were simply friends.

“We’d continue to have lunches or breakfasts. We’d talk about politics. We’d talk about family. . . . Even visited [his] home in Lake Geneva once for the day,” Obama said.

“Something that I always appreciated was he was not one of these people who wanted pictures taken all the time or was constantly calling for you to show up at things. He was a very gracious individual.”

Obama picked Rezko for the campaign finance committee for his 2004 U.S. Senate run. Around that same time, Rezko had begun walking away from affordable-housing projects he was building with government funds, leaving some in squalor — including some buildings in Obama’s own Illinois Senate district. Obama said he knew nothing of those problems.

Had Obama known, he said he would have talked to Rezko about the problems. “I think it is deeply troubling he did not keep these properties up, and I am very disappointed in that,” Obama said.

After Rezko helped Obama win the U.S. Senate seat, Obama approached Rezko about the house Obama now owns in Kenwood. The house has become a political headache for Obama because Rezko’s wife bought the vacant lot next door, with Obama and Rita Rezko closing on their transactions on the same day in June 2005.

Lter, in January 2006, Obama bought a 10-foot-wide strip of Rita Rezko’s lot at a time when Rezko was widely known to be under federal investigation — a move Obama called “absolutely a mistake.”

After touring the Kenwood home with Rezko and his real estate agent, Rezko “expressed some interest potentially in purchasing the lot,” which remains zoned to accommodate town homes or a small condominium building.

“My basic view at that time was having somebody who I knew, a friend of mine, who would be developing the lot if he could, would be great. It would be somebody who we know.”

Why didn’t alarm bells sound when it was known Rezko was under investigation? “Probably because I had known him for a long time, he had acted in an aboveboard manner with me, and I considered him a friend,” Obama said.

Rita Rezko has since sold the lot, and plans call for a single-family home to be built there, Obama said.

The deal remains campaign fodder for Obama’s presidential primary opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton. So does Rezko’s trial. It started two weeks ago, and Obama’s name has come up twice in court.

Now, the senator has decided it was time to talk about his friend.

“I’m saddened for him. I’m saddened for his family.”

If Obama lied about Rezko what makes you think he is speaking the truth now about his pastor??:eusa_liar:

What exactly did he say that was a lie?

Here:
[
Obama made the disclosures in interviews with two Chicago newspapers on Friday. The campaign said that the previous figure of up to $160,000 in contributions raised or contributed by Rezko represented the total for just his 2004 successful bid for the U.S. Senate, and that Rezko had helped raise between $60,000 and $90,000 for his state senate contests and his unsuccessful congressional campaign in 2000.

Obama and Rezko have been friends since 1990, and Obama said the Wilmette businessman raised as much as $60,000 for him during his political career.

Opps. it would appear that political career would include the state contests.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/124171,CST-NWS-obama05.article

I'm curious as to why you quoted the paraphrased version, and not what Obama actually said. Not as convenient for you ?

He hosted one event at his home in 2003 for my U.S. Senate campaign. He participated as a member of a host committee for several other events. My best estimate was that he raised somewhere between $50,000 and $60,000.

I'm curious as to why you quoted the paraphrased version, and not what Obama actually said. Not as convenient for you ?

"for several other events"....So know he's saying the Sun-Times misstated what the truth was, interested they didn't retract that part of the story after he pointed it out to them.

"for several other events"....So know he's saying the Sun-Times misstated what the truth was, interested they didn't retract that part of the story after he pointed it out to them.

Umm, he didn't "point it out to them". The interview was included in the article that you apparently didn't read completely.

Umm, he didn't "point it out to them". The interview was included in the article that you apparently didn't read completely.

And they still stated,

And they still stated,

Which is completely compatible with what he said.

Which is completely compatible with what he said.

Then what your saying is that he wasn't honest and forthcoming in 2006 when he was asked;

How much would you estimate he has raised for your campaigns?
That was the question asked in 2006, in the question and answer session.
It wasn't wasn't asked what did he raise for your US senate campaign, for your campaigns was the question.

Wait you mean a politician dodged a question? What a surprise. He dodged it, he didn't lie.

No in 2006 he stated Rezko had given less money to his campaigns than what he stated last Friday. That's a lie, not dodging a question. :cuckoo:

No in 2006 he stated Rezko had given less money to his campaigns than what he stated last Friday. That's a lie, not dodging a question. :cuckoo:

No he said that his best estimate was that in 2006 Rezko had given 50-60k to his US Senate campaign . Now he is including all money that Rezko had a part in raising.

No he said that his best estimate was that in 2006 Rezko had given 50-60k to his US Senate campaign . Now he is including all money that Rezko had a part in raising.

Its quite apparent you are giving your best esimate on your intelligence, which is lacking quite a bit. I'm sorry I can't have a debate with someone who doesn't admit to them being wrong.

Its quite apparent you are giving your best esimate on your intelligence, which is lacking quite a bit. I'm sorry I can't have a debate with someone who doesn't admit to them being wrong.

Feeling a bit threatened by his IQ, are you?

Feel free to let us know when you admit to being wrong. I for one look forward to it.

Awww, po boy.

Does his US Senate campaign include his State campaigns somehow? My guess would be no. Want to explain why you think differently?

Forum List

Back