Oak Island's Oaks?

Tree update: On episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY, very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees I've been hoping to identify. They all have that vase shape with the flat spreading top, and I don't think they're all victims of a burn; they have a distinctive shape. The photo wasn't dated and I don't know where on the island the photo was taken, but at one time there was quite an area of those trees.

So I watched the most recent episodes on tree alert. I cannot see a single one. Strange they all disappeared. I suppose they would, though, if they weren't native there and no one was caring about keeping them around.

If any tree lovers are around that might be able to help, take a peak at the pics in the OP and the ones in the photo in episode 9. Sorry I couldn't bring it in here, but I haven't figured out how to successfully turn off ad blocker and I quit trying to screw around with it. So the site wouldn't let me in to the episode.

TNHarley Any ideas?

Just look like scraggly trees to me

Unless someone does a DNA check on them showing they came from a distant land, I just assume they are scraggly trees

Look!
They have scraggly trees in Africa. That proves Oak Island scraggly trees came from Africa

plant_southern-live-oak_600x300.ashx

Does that look like them?
Oh, I fell in love with those live oaks when I visited the south. Even bought a necklace. But no.

If you look at the video in the OP at the time I mentioned, you will see the trees; he talks about their shape for a bit, but as I mentioned in the OP, some of it seems to be bullshit. The photo of the trees is real enough, though. At the beginning of the French Connection episode (which is one of my last posts) there is an old photo of farmers on the island in a field of the same trees.

Oh, and btw, I saw one of the "mystery trees" in last week's episode of Poldark, on the grounds of a manor house. That is filmed in England.
Gotcha. Ok i will check that out next.

Tree update: On episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY, very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees I've been hoping to identify. They all have that vase shape with the flat spreading top, and I don't think they're all victims of a burn; they have a distinctive shape. The photo wasn't dated and I don't know where on the island the photo was taken, but at one time there was quite an area of those trees.

So I watched the most recent episodes on tree alert. I cannot see a single one. Strange they all disappeared. I suppose they would, though, if they weren't native there and no one was caring about keeping them around.

If any tree lovers are around that might be able to help, take a peak at the pics in the OP and the ones in the photo in episode 9. Sorry I couldn't bring it in here, but I haven't figured out how to successfully turn off ad blocker and I quit trying to screw around with it. So the site wouldn't let me in to the episode.

TNHarley Any ideas?

Unless someone does a DNA check on them showing they came from a distant land, I just assume they are scraggly trees

Look!
They have scraggly trees in Africa. That proves Oak Island scraggly trees came from Africa
Shaddup, rightwinger. You've groused over my thread long enough. If you don't think it's interesting, read a different thread, okay?

TNHarley Any ideas?

Look!
Shaddup, rightwinger. You've groused over my thread long enough. If you don't think it's interesting, read a different thread, okay?

OK <sniff> ....I know when I am not wanted

0mrKW_s-200x150.gif

Where'd you get that and what is it?
I spent 20 minutes of my life helping you out. Dont forget it!!!
Its a kapok. They even produce some sort of fiber that looks like a mix between cotton and coconut.
Ceiba pentandra - Wikipedia
kapok - Google Search
I definitely won't forget it. YOU are precious.
I had a hard time searching/identifying trees by shape alone.
I'm not sure this Kapok is the right one, since it is native to tropical regions and I'm not sure it would survive up here. I also don't see the v-fork in the trunk. But the Caribbean would make sense if you're going on the pirate theory.
Thanks again, TN.

Where'd you get that and what is it?
I spent 20 minutes of my life helping you out. Dont forget it!!!
Its a kapok. They even produce some sort of fiber that looks like a mix between cotton and coconut.
Ceiba pentandra - Wikipedia
kapok - Google Search
I definitely won't forget it. YOU are precious.
I had a hard time searching/identifying trees by shape alone.
I'm not sure this Kapok is the right one, since it is native to tropical regions and I'm not sure it would survive up here. I also don't see the v-fork in the trunk. But the Caribbean would make sense if you're going on the pirate theory.
Thanks again, TN.
I only watched about 3 or 4 minutes of the video. But they looked alike from what little i saw. When i saw the fibers, i thought i hit a grand slam lol.

TNHarley Any ideas?

Look!

OK <sniff> ....I know when I am not wanted

0mrKW_s-200x150.gif
Seems my ideas are what you don't want. Don't be hurt. Us left wingers gotta stick together. (But you don't have to stick in this thread, thank you very much, saying everyone's ideas are stupid.)

Quercus Species : Acacia Mangium Acadiakoa https://youtube/EE3CKGGL5N8 BEWARE THIS VIDEO

I've been watching The Curse of Oak Island this season—I've watched sporadically but the drilling is boring to me and all the false hits with the metal detectors in the swamp, etc. I've watched the new season though. I've always had a lot of questions about the whole deal and the theories are fascinating but pretty farfetched.

Considering Oak Island's location, it doesn't at all surprise me that a few colonial era coins/buttons--even a piece of grape shot from a cannon-- have been found there. The British and other Europeans sailing through were there from the days of first exploration. A few things that haven't been covered that seem really important to me, though, are the non-native oak trees that were planted there and the age of coconut fiber found around the drains in Smith Cove. That fiber was carbon dated to between 1200 and 1400. There's no more to be said about the coconut fiber, I guess—that is what it is. But the oak trees fascinated me.

I wrote to the Oak Island folks who now are in charge of searching for the money pit and handling the "interpretative center." I asked if there are still oaks on the island and if so, are any of them really old/is the variety traceable to point of origin in Europe or elsewhere. I got a really short, less than satisfying answer saying there are lots of oaks on the island: Red Oaks, which are native to New England and Nova Scotia. They said the canopy oaks might ? be explained by changes in climate. However, they didn't answer my questions if any were left or where they came from. I googled "canopy oaks" and there is no oak called that. It referred me to bur oaks, whose range is in the Midwest.

I was very excited, then, when today I came across a You Tube video on the mystery of the oaks. BEWARE THIS VIDEO! Besides the fact that this guy's ultimate theory is way out there (Phoenicians) he gave a long supposedly very factual talk about the original oaks that gave the island its name (pictures of them begin at 44 secs and go on for a few minutes). He said there are none left on the island; the photographs of them he has were from the early 1920's, towering above the other trees. At that time there were seven left (he says that's the origin of the legend that "Seven must die before the treasure is found." Once all the trees were cut down and there was still no treasure, they figured it must be people who have to die). I don't doubt the photos are real, but I don't know what kind of oak, if oak at all, they are. The video in the link says it is Quercus Species: Acacia Mangium Acadiakoa, a type of oak from North Africa/the Levant. Well, I googled that, too, and from what I can tell, there is no such tree. Quercus is the species name for oaks, alright, of which there are about 600 varieties, but "Acacia" is apparently a different species, not an oak. There is an "Acacia Mangium Acacia Koa" which is a tree native to Australia, but it has nothing to do with oaks, the Levant, or anything else I'm interested in.

So I don't know about the oaks yet. If the photos from the 1920's are actual non native oaks that the legend refers to, I still don't know if there are any left on the island and if the actual variety might help identify where it came from, or if there are any old ones (oaks can easily live hundreds of years) that could help determine at a minimum how long ago they were planted. Some websites have referred me to the bur oaks, and I did find pictures of some with flat tops like in the video, but NS is way out of its range and the overall shape isn't the same as the photos from Oak Island.

Anyone know anything about oak trees?

yes

Quercus Species : Acacia Mangium Acadiakoa https://youtube/EE3CKGGL5N8 BEWARE THIS VIDEO

I've been watching The Curse of Oak Island this season—I've watched sporadically but the drilling is boring to me and all the false hits with the metal detectors in the swamp, etc. I've watched the new season though. I've always had a lot of questions about the whole deal and the theories are fascinating but pretty farfetched.

Considering Oak Island's location, it doesn't at all surprise me that a few colonial era coins/buttons--even a piece of grape shot from a cannon-- have been found there. The British and other Europeans sailing through were there from the days of first exploration. A few things that haven't been covered that seem really important to me, though, are the non-native oak trees that were planted there and the age of coconut fiber found around the drains in Smith Cove. That fiber was carbon dated to between 1200 and 1400. There's no more to be said about the coconut fiber, I guess—that is what it is. But the oak trees fascinated me.

I wrote to the Oak Island folks who now are in charge of searching for the money pit and handling the "interpretative center." I asked if there are still oaks on the island and if so, are any of them really old/is the variety traceable to point of origin in Europe or elsewhere. I got a really short, less than satisfying answer saying there are lots of oaks on the island: Red Oaks, which are native to New England and Nova Scotia. They said the canopy oaks might ? be explained by changes in climate. However, they didn't answer my questions if any were left or where they came from. I googled "canopy oaks" and there is no oak called that. It referred me to bur oaks, whose range is in the Midwest.

I was very excited, then, when today I came across a You Tube video on the mystery of the oaks. BEWARE THIS VIDEO! Besides the fact that this guy's ultimate theory is way out there (Phoenicians) he gave a long supposedly very factual talk about the original oaks that gave the island its name (pictures of them begin at 44 secs and go on for a few minutes). He said there are none left on the island; the photographs of them he has were from the early 1920's, towering above the other trees. At that time there were seven left (he says that's the origin of the legend that "Seven must die before the treasure is found." Once all the trees were cut down and there was still no treasure, they figured it must be people who have to die). I don't doubt the photos are real, but I don't know what kind of oak, if oak at all, they are. The video in the link says it is Quercus Species: Acacia Mangium Acadiakoa, a type of oak from North Africa/the Levant. Well, I googled that, too, and from what I can tell, there is no such tree. Quercus is the species name for oaks, alright, of which there are about 600 varieties, but "Acacia" is apparently a different species, not an oak. There is an "Acacia Mangium Acacia Koa" which is a tree native to Australia, but it has nothing to do with oaks, the Levant, or anything else I'm interested in.

So I don't know about the oaks yet. If the photos from the 1920's are actual non native oaks that the legend refers to, I still don't know if there are any left on the island and if the actual variety might help identify where it came from, or if there are any old ones (oaks can easily live hundreds of years) that could help determine at a minimum how long ago they were planted. Some websites have referred me to the bur oaks, and I did find pictures of some with flat tops like in the video, but NS is way out of its range and the overall shape isn't the same as the photos from Oak Island.

yes
shoreline.jpg

You ever seen Oak Trees like this? There's another view of the what looks like the same type of trees in episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY. Very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees (not as tall).

They don't really look like oaks to me, but what do I know.

yes
shoreline.jpg

You ever seen Oak Trees like this? There's another view of the what looks like the same type of trees in episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY. Very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees (not as tall).

They don't really look like oaks to me, but what do I know.

im sorry for some reason the image didnt load

there are a few hundred varieties of oak

i will look at the ones on "oak island"

im sure that travelers of the past carried an abundance of acorns with them

the tannic acid found in them is a great preservative and good for tanning leather

I like the school of thought that more research should be put into finding out what kind of trees they were. Supposedly, it can be done by testing the soil or -- a rumor that there is a perfectly preserved acorn and leaf found by a past researcher.

I wonder if treasure hunters are ignoring the trees because the legend about them isn't true.
That would be a bummer, but I can't explain why almost NO ONE is trying to get to the bottom of it--or didn't in the past. You'd think that back when some of those trees were still alive in the 1930's or before, that someone would have checked it out.

Those trees are presumably where the island got its name from the locals. Or was it simply "Oak Island" because it had native red oaks on it, as opposed to all pine/fir. It doesn't take a whole lot to give an island a name. We've got two Moose Islands on our coast and any number of Cow Islands and Sheep Islands from where people used to keep their livestock.

Maybe it's not a real part of the legend, but whatever they are, they died out, making it more likely they were non-native.

The entire show this week was about the Templar legend. Why the Templars would bury their treasure in Nova Scotia in 1400 I don't know, but people are really pushing that theory lately. Even unearthed a lead cross in Smith's Cove that they are trying to tie to the Templar prison in Domme, France. It does look medieval, but it could have been dropped there (or planted) by anyone as recently as October when it was found with a metal detector.

Anyway, I've been thinking about all the religious symbolism carved or built into the island, and I have an idea.
On an old episode of America Unearthed a few years ago, I remember a quick bit about a possible Viking hangout that had been discovered by an explorer. It was a natural cavern deep in the woods, with the opening built up with stacked stone. Inside were carvings on the walls. Scott Wolter looked at it and determined it was a Masonic meeting place. In the early days of the Freemasons (the 1700's) they sometimes met in the woods, far from prying eyes, due to the secret nature of their meetings.
And don't think just because NS didn't have a large population in the 1700's that there weren't Masons around. Our shire town had a Masonic Lodge active 15 years after it's first settlement. Before there was a public school, there was a Masonic Lodge. It was never much more than a lumber mill town with a decent deep water harbor, but they were here anyway.

So they could have definitely been meeting on Oak Island for its convenience to shore but also as an island, with some privacy. The Masons use a LOT of the same ancient symbology as the Templars. It could explain a lot of the carved stone, anyway. I don't know about the Money Pit.

Forum List

Back