Oak Island's Oaks?

The show is a hoax

It is a shame what The History Channel has become. Ancient Aliens and Oak Island that "might" contain the Holy Grail and Arc of the Covenant

They have no interest is finding anything, just teasing what they might find
The show itself is as you say. The underlying story and the way it has hooked two centuries worth of treasure hunters that have spent tens of millions of dollars on it is not a made-for-TV hoax, though. The Money Pit itself can't ever be explained, I don't think, since it was completely destroyed by one of the first search companies using power equipment and was excavated into a huge cavern. If any building was around it or there was any archaeological clues as to what its function or purpose might have been has been lost forever.

There are interesting things going on there, though. Nolan's Cross is one. Some of the graffiti like the H-O stone is also puzzling. Why so much medieval religious symbolism there? The drain system at Smith's Cove is probably an old salt works used for salting fish in the 1700's and the Money Pit itself is probably not "booby trapped," just intersecting with natural tunnels of sea water that lace the substrata of the island. As with any island close to shore on this coast, it will have been used for multiple purposes over the years by a lot of different folks, but the Money Pit beats all. I can see why it hooked treasure hunters. They're kind of like compulsive gamblers--just ten more feet and we'll find it.
Seems more myth than anything

The legends of Pirates burying their treasure are largely disproven. Pirates looted and divided the bounty among the crew. Mostly they spent it on rum and whores. Saving it for a later day was not in the Pirate mentality. They did not expect to live that long

The best explanation for the money pit is that it is nothing more than a sink hole. The hole consumed trees and other timber and that was the "layers" they reported.
I think the secret stones with cryptic writing were just created to trick investors.
Sink holes aren't 7x7 foot square with pick marks in the walls. It wasn't a sink hole, but one theory is as good as another now, since the Money Pit was destroyed long ago. What is left is back fill in a jumble and will probably contain nothing but everyday detritus.
I agree with you about the stone found at 90 feet in the Money Pit saying treasure was below. I don't agree with you about the H-O stone.

The “HO” stone was part of a huge boulder found on the Oak Island shore back in 1921 by treasure hunters, and which was covered in engraved writing. Without any apparent thought for the clues it might hold, they unfortunately blew it up. [Another researcher found it in the rubble in 1936-OL)

...a slab containing the mysterious markings of “H” and “O” and, in between the two letters, a cross surrounded by four dots...

Nichola also shed some light on the possible meanings of the H and the O — saying that the H could stand for the greek letter Eta, while the O was likely actually an Θ — the Greek letter Theta.

She also said that the Theta — which is the first letter of Theos, the Greek word for God, could be a Christogram, commonly used to represent Jesus Christ in Byzantine and medieval eras. One of the oldest Christograms was the Chi Rho cross, which was later adopted by the Knights Templar.

View attachment 173812

The Curse of Oak Island recap: The one where the Knights Templar carved pictures with their teeth

That's too technical for the average bear to be hoaxing folks with. It is not just those letters on the stone, either--below the H-O are portions of the letter R and another symbol that is too broken off to decipher. So it was clearly a piece of something larger and it sure looks weathered all to hell. I think it's a real something or other, not a hoax.

I vacationed in Nova Scotia about 15 years ago. I stayed in the Lunenburg/ Mahone Bay Area and saw Oak Island from the shore. You were not allowed to visit

The island is nothing special for travelers from thousands of miles away would pick it out. I saw many places on Nova Scotia that look like a better place to hide stuff than that crappy little island

Did someone from Europe travel thousands of miles and pick out that crappy little island to hold secret ceremonies or could it have been locals in the 1600s who did the same thing?
Good thought. Like monks setting up there.
Actually, coastal islands were used extensively from the time of exploration and through colonization. They had a built in "moat" against hostiles. No predators to eat your livestock and no need for fences for them, either, at least until the government started parceling it up in the mid 1700's. Fishermen used them extensively for their weirs and their drying operations. I'm less than two hundred miles from Oak Island; our coast is the same and was used for the same purposes.
I agree with you that there were many places better for burying treasure than Oak Island. I also don't think there is any treasure there, and if there ever was, it seems pretty strange to dig a massive hole for it within easy field goal distance of the shore where any Tom Dick or Harry could see you doing it.
Well, fun puzzling over, I think. You seem to feel more bristly about it.

P.S. Poutine? Tourtiere?

The show is a hoax

It is a shame what The History Channel has become. Ancient Aliens and Oak Island that "might" contain the Holy Grail and Arc of the Covenant

They have no interest is finding anything, just teasing what they might find
The show itself is as you say. The underlying story and the way it has hooked two centuries worth of treasure hunters that have spent tens of millions of dollars on it is not a made-for-TV hoax, though. The Money Pit itself can't ever be explained, I don't think, since it was completely destroyed by one of the first search companies using power equipment and was excavated into a huge cavern. If any building was around it or there was any archaeological clues as to what its function or purpose might have been has been lost forever.

There are interesting things going on there, though. Nolan's Cross is one. Some of the graffiti like the H-O stone is also puzzling. Why so much medieval religious symbolism there? The drain system at Smith's Cove is probably an old salt works used for salting fish in the 1700's and the Money Pit itself is probably not "booby trapped," just intersecting with natural tunnels of sea water that lace the substrata of the island. As with any island close to shore on this coast, it will have been used for multiple purposes over the years by a lot of different folks, but the Money Pit beats all. I can see why it hooked treasure hunters. They're kind of like compulsive gamblers--just ten more feet and we'll find it.

The legends of Pirates burying their treasure are largely disproven. Pirates looted and divided the bounty among the crew. Mostly they spent it on rum and whores. Saving it for a later day was not in the Pirate mentality. They did not expect to live that long

The best explanation for the money pit is that it is nothing more than a sink hole. The hole consumed trees and other timber and that was the "layers" they reported.
I think the secret stones with cryptic writing were just created to trick investors.
Sink holes aren't 7x7 foot square with pick marks in the walls. It wasn't a sink hole, but one theory is as good as another now, since the Money Pit was destroyed long ago. What is left is back fill in a jumble and will probably contain nothing but everyday detritus.
I agree with you about the stone found at 90 feet in the Money Pit saying treasure was below. I don't agree with you about the H-O stone.

The “HO” stone was part of a huge boulder found on the Oak Island shore back in 1921 by treasure hunters, and which was covered in engraved writing. Without any apparent thought for the clues it might hold, they unfortunately blew it up. [Another researcher found it in the rubble in 1936-OL)

...a slab containing the mysterious markings of “H” and “O” and, in between the two letters, a cross surrounded by four dots...

Nichola also shed some light on the possible meanings of the H and the O — saying that the H could stand for the greek letter Eta, while the O was likely actually an Θ — the Greek letter Theta.

She also said that the Theta — which is the first letter of Theos, the Greek word for God, could be a Christogram, commonly used to represent Jesus Christ in Byzantine and medieval eras. One of the oldest Christograms was the Chi Rho cross, which was later adopted by the Knights Templar.

View attachment 173812

The Curse of Oak Island recap: The one where the Knights Templar carved pictures with their teeth

That's too technical for the average bear to be hoaxing folks with. It is not just those letters on the stone, either--below the H-O are portions of the letter R and another symbol that is too broken off to decipher. So it was clearly a piece of something larger and it sure looks weathered all to hell. I think it's a real something or other, not a hoax.

I vacationed in Nova Scotia about 15 years ago. I stayed in the Lunenburg/ Mahone Bay Area and saw Oak Island from the shore. You were not allowed to visit

The island is nothing special for travelers from thousands of miles away would pick it out. I saw many places on Nova Scotia that look like a better place to hide stuff than that crappy little island

Did someone from Europe travel thousands of miles and pick out that crappy little island to hold secret ceremonies or could it have been locals in the 1600s who did the same thing?
Actually, coastal islands were used extensively from the time of exploration and through colonization. They had a built in "moat" against hostiles. No predators to eat your livestock and no need for fences for them, either, at least until the government started parceling it up in the mid 1700's. Fishermen used them extensively for their weirs and their drying operations. I'm less than two hundred miles from Oak Island; our coast is the same and was used for the same purposes.
I agree with you that there were many places better for burying treasure than Oak Island. I also don't think there is any treasure there, and if there ever was, it seems pretty strange to dig a massive hole for it within easy field goal distance of the shore where any Tom Dick or Harry could see you doing it.

P.S. Poutine? Tourtiere?

Yes, I have to admit I am pissed off about it
Pissed off about wasting hours of my precious life on that stupid show

You are correct. Nova Scotia is a lot like coastal Maine
Many, many tiny and not so tiny islands off the coast

To me, if I were in a largely uninhabited area like that, I would have picked a better spot to hold my secret meetings and bury my booty

PS. ........Jersey

View attachment 173812

P.S. Poutine? Tourtiere?

To me, if I were in a largely uninhabited area like that, I would have picked a better spot to hold my secret meetings and bury my booty

PS. ........Jersey
LOL Just wondered if you tried their regional specialties while you were there.
Jersey. Perfect place for it.

View attachment 173812

P.S. Poutine? Tourtiere?

PS. ........Jersey

I did indulge in some of the local brews

Does that count?

View attachment 173812

P.S. Poutine? Tourtiere?

PS. ........Jersey

I did indulge in some of the local brews

Does that count?
Absolutely. Cheers, hey?

I think ancient (really ancient, way before we know about yet) peoples had figured out a great deal of the same stuff we have and that somehow that knowledge was lost in calamities and we have step by step "discovered" things the ancients knew thousands of years ago.

boom

I agree with this & the evidence is pretty overwhelming to support it

I think ancient (really ancient, way before we know about yet) peoples had figured out a great deal of the same stuff we have and that somehow that knowledge was lost in calamities and we have step by step "discovered" things the ancients knew thousands of years ago.

boom

I agree with this & the evidence is pretty overwhelming to support it
Can you name some of those things?

Nazca lines

green glass found in desert

perfect right angles on ancient stones that cannot be replicated today without a diamond saw

perfect H blocks in S America

google the term ooparts

there is just too much stuff that looks to be impossible - there is no "proof" anywhere

the show Ancient Aliens (which you mentioned) did a lot to lay out a bunch of evidence early on in the series

hell, I know it sounds crazy; but there is a lot of inexplicable stuff

I don't believe spacemen came here; I think humans reached higher levels of technology & advancement

I could be wrong & it really does not matter; but it is fun to think about & research; if you can get past some of the "batshit crazy" stuff surrounding actual evidence of some of the weird finds...

the most compelling stuff comes from India (where more ancient texts have survived)

the Mahabharata has what looks like a blueprint to build an airplane and also an eerily accurate description of the effects of nuclear fallout

again - does not "prove" anything

but there is certainly a lot of "smoke" to suggest that there was something more than men in caves with big clubs deep in antiquity

hell; an actual hang glider that can actually fly was found in one of the Egyptian pyramids (was classified as "avian" and ignored for years)

Nazca lines

green glass found in desert

perfect right angles on ancient stones that cannot be replicated today without a diamond saw

perfect H blocks in S America

google the term ooparts

there is just too much stuff that looks to be impossible - there is no "proof" anywhere

the show Ancient Aliens (which you mentioned) did a lot to lay out a bunch of evidence early on in the series

hell, I know it sounds crazy; but there is a lot of inexplicable stuff

I don't believe spacemen came here; I think humans reached higher levels of technology & advancement

I could be wrong & it really does not matter; but it is fun to think about & research; if you can get past some of the "batshit crazy" stuff surrounding actual evidence of some of the weird finds...

the most compelling stuff comes from India (where more ancient texts have survived)

the Mahabharata has what looks like a blueprint to build an airplane and also an eerily accurate description of the effects of nuclear fallout

again - does not "prove" anything

but there is certainly a lot of "smoke" to suggest that there was something more than men in caves with big clubs deep in antiquity

hell; an actual hang glider that can actually fly was found in one of the Egyptian pyramids (was classified as "avian" and ignored for years)
Never understood the difficulty in Nazca lines
I could do it with a long piece of string

I think they had basic tools and measuring devices and were very adept at using them

The History Channel went downhill a long time ago, as did satellite TV. Dropped the over-priced rubbish several years ago, and haven't missed it at all. We can check out the entire seasons of the better and more popular series, like Game of Thrones, Sons Of Anarchy, or the Sopranos or Breaking Bad, etc., at the library for free, no need to pay ridiculous prices to watch TV shows and reruns of shows that also run on regular TV..

Last time I dealt with satellite, I was at my cousin's house. I unlocked all the American Extasy/playboy/ whatever channels, but I couldn't get it off the porn. I think somebody was not happy.
My question is how long can they milk this fable?
What will the deciding factor be to quit?
Run out of money.

Tree update: On episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY, very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees I've been hoping to identify. They all have that vase shape with the flat spreading top, and I don't think they're all victims of a burn; they have a distinctive shape. The photo wasn't dated and I don't know where on the island the photo was taken, but at one time there was quite an area of those trees.

So I watched the most recent episodes on tree alert. I cannot see a single one. Strange they all disappeared. I suppose they would, though, if they weren't native there and no one was caring about keeping them around.

If any tree lovers are around that might be able to help, take a peak at the pics in the OP and the ones in the photo in episode 9. Sorry I couldn't bring it in here, but I haven't figured out how to successfully turn off ad blocker and I quit trying to screw around with it. So the site wouldn't let me in to the episode.

TNHarley Any ideas?

Tree update: On episode #9, season 5, "French Connection" The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY, very near the beginning of the show is an old photo of farmers on the island, standing in a grassy field with a bunch of those trees I've been hoping to identify. They all have that vase shape with the flat spreading top, and I don't think they're all victims of a burn; they have a distinctive shape. The photo wasn't dated and I don't know where on the island the photo was taken, but at one time there was quite an area of those trees.

So I watched the most recent episodes on tree alert. I cannot see a single one. Strange they all disappeared. I suppose they would, though, if they weren't native there and no one was caring about keeping them around.

If any tree lovers are around that might be able to help, take a peak at the pics in the OP and the ones in the photo in episode 9. Sorry I couldn't bring it in here, but I haven't figured out how to successfully turn off ad blocker and I quit trying to screw around with it. So the site wouldn't let me in to the episode.

TNHarley Any ideas?
ideas on ad blocker or the trees? lol

TNHarley Any ideas?
Forget it, brat.

TNHarley Any ideas?
Forget it, brat.
I was being sincere, actually. But thanks for being a dick.
Figure it out on your own!

TNHarley Any ideas?
Forget it, brat.
I was being sincere, actually. But thanks for being a dick.
Figure it out on your own!
Come back TNHarley! How am I supposed to know which is which? DO you have any ideas on the trees? I don't care about Ad Blocker

plant_southern-live-oak_600x300.ashx

Does that look like them?

plant_southern-live-oak_600x300.ashx

Does that look like them?
Oh, I fell in love with those live oaks when I visited the south. Even bought a necklace. But no.

If you look at the video in the OP at the time I mentioned, you will see the trees; he talks about their shape for a bit, but as I mentioned in the OP, some of it seems to be bullshit. The photo of the trees is real enough, though. At the beginning of the French Connection episode (which is one of my last posts) there is an old photo of farmers on the island in a field of the same trees.

Oh, and btw, I saw one of the "mystery trees" in last week's episode of Poldark, on the grounds of a manor house. That is filmed in England.

Forum List

Back