NYT: Unlike Russian Wars, US Wars ‘Promote Freedom and Democracy’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As FAIR (9/30/16) has noted, the most important function of major editorial boards is to be gatekeepers of national security orthodoxy. And there is no more axiomatic orthodoxy than American exceptionalism. One can handwring over “mistakes,” even occasionally do harsh reporting on American war crimes—so long as one arrives back at the position of American moral superiority. “Yes, America has made mistakes,” the good liberal insists, “but at least we don’t do this other bad thing that is, unaccountably, uniquely disqualifying.”

Clearly, Trump’s motives in questioning American innocence were anything but liberal or noble. He was evoking America’s own sins not to challenge them, but to apologize for those of the Russian president and, preemptively, his own. But the outrage over Trump’s comments from pundits and editorial boards did not seek to spotlight his cynicism and its dark implications, but rather to insist that the United States is, in fact, on a higher moral plane than Russia. This is a childish assertion that serves to flatter the ego of American readers while legitimizing their government’s crimes.
NYT: Unlike Russian Wars, US Wars ‘Promote Freedom and Democracy’

Normally I would put the first portions of the article first but I'm counting on people reading the article. It irritates the hell out of me that we have arrived here again within 15 years. This is why our foreign policy never changes no matter who is running the show.

There is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that gives the government a mandate to spread Freedom and Democracy around the world.

It was a failed policy back in Vietnam, and a failed policy today in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now we are trying to spread F&D by drone bombing people in several countries, Libya and Yemen being the latest victims. ...... :cuckoo:

It was a failed policy back in Vietnam, and a failed policy today in Iraq and Afghanistan.
More to the point, it's a lie used to deceive ignorant Americans. And apparently an easy one to promote.

the blood thirsty Christians and their unquenchable lust for death and destruction will soon lead one of their many militias to war with more countries. If not another mulsim country they will attack another christian one becausef there is one thing their death cult can't stand its being declared the least genocidal mass murderers in the world

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

A while back I saw a tv commercial trying to recruit people into the U.S Navy.

As they showed an aircraft carrier plowing thru the deep blue ocean. The narration talked about young people joining the Navy to help spread Freedom and Democracy around the world.

I am all for having a strong military to defend our borders. But am totally against foreign military intervention just because we can. ...... :cool:

Yeah, the words "spread/ing Freedom and Democracy" indicate exactly the opposite and I can't tell if people forgot what this means or have just allowed themselves to accept it. I absolutely support the military and there are times when war is inevitable. But, the reality is that foreign military intervention is primarily about/for corporations.

The Times goes on to insist that “no American president has done what Mr. Putin has done,” including “invading Ukraine” and “interfering in the American election.” Of course, American presidents have invaded other countries and intervened in other elections, but for reasons unclear, the Times suggests that those two cases are the ones that indicate the US’s moral superiority over Russia.

American's heads might explode if the Times ever exposed how American intervention in Russia indirectly led to Putin coming to power.

Last edited:
As a conscripted soldier during the Vietnam war. I was very much against the invasion of Iraq, and even joined a protest march against it in my local community. In my mind, the only difference between the two conflicts, the first one was a quagmire and the later was going to be quicksand. ...... :cool:

As a conscripted soldier during the Vietnam war. I was very much against the invasion of Iraq, and even joined a protest march against it in my local community. In my mind, the only difference between the two conflicts, the first one was a quagmire and the later was going to be quicksand. ...... :cool:

So, was my dad. He didn't join a protest but he was and still is a vocal critic.

Forum List

Back