Nursing Care Considerations r/t Veterans

Oct 31, 2010
Hi I'm a Sacramento State nursing student and my group and I are doing a project on the health care considerations related to veterans. I have a couple questions here that I hope some of you can answer. Pick and choose what you want or simply reply with any thoughts that come to mind! Also let me know if you're part of any organizations like the VFW :). E-mail me at [email protected] or reply here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions:
1. Background Info: Age, Sex, Branch of Military, Position, Service location/war, Years served

2. Did you sustain any physical injuries while serving in the military?
-If yes, describe.

Inquire further about: location of injury, type of injury, rehab from injury, treatment of injury, opinion of quality of healthcare in regard to injury (both on the "battle field" and once transferred to hospital facility)

3. Did you sustain any emotional trauma/injury while serving in the military?
-If yes, describe. (Ex. PTSD: onset, symptoms, therapy, medication, duration/on going, support groups, opinion of support in treating PTSD once home (VA resources, support groups, etc))

4. First hand as a member of the military, what would you say is the biggest issue/concern for veteran's in regards to healthcare?
-How would YOU fix or help this issue?

5. First hand as a member of the military, what type of health problems do many of the people you served with or have met have? (Ex. hypertension, diabetes, amputees, etc?)

6. What are some values of people in the _____(ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINES, ETC)?
-Is there a dominant belief system in the ______?

7. What are some military customs? (think funeral services, weddings, even simply displaying the flag!)

8. Are there any health beliefs during your service that helped you? (herbal, vitamins, meditation)

9. Have you or do you know any veteran's that use or used drugs or alcohol while in the service? If so, what drugs? How often, how much, why/when?

10. How do veterans like yourself access healthcare? Only when your sick/symptomatic? Preventatively (vaccines)?
-Do you have a primary care physician or are you seen through the ER? Do you have resources such as hotlines or veteran-based web sites you can access?

11. How do veteran's communicate with each other versus with healthcare professionals? Are there nonverbal/physical cues? Are there issues of respect/discipline? What about veteran's not wanting to show pain--is stoicism and "toughness" something that could affect healthcare?

12. Can you think of any way that health care providers can better care for veterans as a culture group?

Sorry "nursestudent" but that doesn't sound like any type of nursing "project" I've ever seen -- and I've been around a LONG time.

Forum List

Back