Number of guns in society falling sharply

S. Pilot -

Well, that is true of course. It just seems like many of your friends probably have firearms as well....hence would be something you might talk about once in a while.

Jon -

you know the poll is nothing more then a guess

I think you mean that the FOUR research studies which all confirm the same trend reached conclusions which do not match your opinion.

All research includes a margin of error, but it is a simple, proven fact that proportionally far less households own guns now than did 20 years ago.

Can it be that the fascination with guns is slowly coming to an end?

And can it be that the reason the US homicide rate is falling is because the number of households owning guns is falling?

It seems so, according to both the NY Times and LA Times, Gallup and the General Social Survey:

The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

20guns-webgraphic-articleInline.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

DD0wx.jpg

The major point is that the American “culture of gun ownership” that one often hears about has been strikingly on the wane for the past generation. A similar decline has taken place in the number of Americans who hunt, now about 5% of the population.

Crime is down -- and so is gun ownership - Los Angeles Times

Your data is based upon polls. Do you honestly believe people are going to tell a stranger over the phone how many guns they own, or even if they own any? Ridiculous.

Tjvh -

Four entirely independent pieces of research all reached similar conclusions.

So yes, it seems most people do answer honestly.

There will be some margin of error - but then there would also have been a margin of error in 1960.

Tjvh -

There will be some margin of error - but then there would also have been a margin of error in 1960.

Since they used the same methodology and asked the same question is it surprising they reached the same conclusion? A conclusion that was pre-ordained anyway.
Meanwhile that contradicts actual facts on the ground: overall gun sales, new carry permits issued, membership in gun organizations.

This thread is a total fail. It's more leftist propaganda and bull shit being disseminated in an attempt to convince non thinking people that there is a trend where there is none...

ARMED TO THE TEETH: GUN OWNERSHIP IN AMERICA

... as has already been mentioned in this thread, more and more people will NOT ADMIT to having a firearm to some anonymous CALLER on the PHONE! Who the hell is going to do that? If you were one of the recent people that just bought a gun for protection and/or because you believe our government wants total gun confiscation, are you going to turn around then and tell some absolute STRANGER on the phone calling asking if you OWN A GUN that you just bought one? Not only NO, but FUCK NO, and especially if you bought one through private citizen sales that does NOT require any registration!

How STUPID does the OP think people are? The charts and trends posted in this thread are pure BULL SHIT.

Last edited:

And can it be that the reason the US homicide rate is falling is because the number of households owning guns is falling?

It seems so, according to both the NY Times and LA Times, Gallup and the General Social Survey:

The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

DD0wx.jpg

The major point is that the American “culture of gun ownership” that one often hears about has been strikingly on the wane for the past generation. A similar decline has taken place in the number of Americans who hunt, now about 5% of the population.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are less guns in America. There are less households owning guns, yes. But the situation seems to be while there are less people owning guns, the people that own guns have more guns per person. A minority of Americans own most of the guns in America. Gun zealots, basically, most of them.

It seems quite likely that the lunatic fringe that have stockpiled weapons under Obama were gun owners to begin with.

Yep.

Last edited:

DD0wx.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think there are less guns in America. There are less households owning guns, yes. But the situation seems to be while there are less people owning guns, the people that own guns have more guns per person. A minority of Americans own most of the guns in America. Gun zealots, basically, most of them.

It seems quite likely that the lunatic fringe that have stockpiled weapons under Obama were gun owners to begin with.

Yep.
Yeah... you got that right... you DON'T think, because you're wrong on all accounts, you constitution hating, anti American, commie whack job.

Last edited:

Yep.

I totally agree.

I am sure psoters are quite right in claiming that there has been a surge in gun sales - but it makes perfect sense to me that most of those gun sales will be to people who already own guns and are trying to beat a potential ban on assault weapons etc.

The good news is that when the number of households owning weapons drops, so does the homicide rate.

Tjvh -

So what? I know plenty of people in many States who don't admit they own guns that do own them simply because of the nature of the current liberal war on guns. They have been that way for years, so no matter how much you think your polls are right, if 30% of the nation isn't admitting it your polls don't mean squat. Btw, do you honestly beleive gun buy back programs have been so successful as to eradicate a hundred million guns? I have never known a gun owner to sell off their guns entirely... I have known many who have gone silent on the fact they own them. All your poll proves is that people are much less trusting of government, and prefer to remain anonymous by not admitting they own them.

Yep.

I totally agree.

I am sure psoters are quite right in claiming that there has been a surge in gun sales - but it makes perfect sense to me that most of those gun sales will be to people who already own guns and are trying to beat a potential ban on assault weapons etc.

The good news is that when the number of households owning weapons drops, so does the homicide rate.
Who's paying you to spread this bull shit?

Or are you just a garden variety foreigner hater of America and everything American?

One thing is for sure, you are a class A LIAR.

Last edited:
How STUPID does the OP think people are? The charts and trends posted in this thread are pure BULL SHIT.

Oh, I think some people are very stupid.

However, they don't read the NY Times, Gallup or LA times.

Then I hit the nail right on the head. You're in here spreading your BULL SHIT to the STUPID people that will swallow your GARBAGE and LIES.

You've got NO CLUE what's going on in America shit for brains.

Fuck off.

Last edited:
Katz -

No one is denying that there has been a spike in gun sales.

However, it seems likely that most of that spike is going to people who already owned guns.

For what it's worth, I no longer own any guns... And that's all the information a poll taker is going to get. :eusa_whistle:

Katz -

No one is denying that there has been a spike in gun sales.

However, it seems likely that most of that spike is going to people who already owned guns.

And what data do you have to support that? That's right... None.

For what it's worth, I no longer own any guns... And that's all the information a poll taker is going to get. :eusa_whistle:

But can we trust you to be honest with us, tjvh!! :eusa_drool:

As I said earlier - there will be some margin of error with all polling, but given people opted to take part in the survey, I can't see why literally millions would then lie, do you?

But can we trust you to be honest with us, tjvh!! :eusa_drool:

As I said earlier - there will be some margin of error with all polling, but given people opted to take part in the survey, I can't see why literally millions would then lie, do you?

You're such a bullshitter. Do you even read your own articles?

It isn't "millions"of people. The survey in one case was 2,000. They extrapolated from that.
Next, the results varied from 30 something percent to 50 something percent. Anything with that much variance by definition is unreliable.

Measuring the level of gun ownership can be a vexing problem, with various recent national polls reporting rates between 35 percent and 52 percent. Responses can vary because the survey designs and the wording of questions differ.

But researchers say the survey done by the center at the University of Chicago is crucial because it has consistently tracked gun ownership since 1973, asking if respondents “happen to have in your home (or garage) any guns or revolvers.”

The center’s 2012 survey, conducted mostly in person but also by phone, involved interviews with about 2,000 people from March to September and had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Forum List

Back