NRA opposes Fla move to raise age for rifles to 21, the same age for other firearms.

This is a bad decision by the NRA. Why would any 18-20-year-old young person need to own a rifle? I can see why people that age, especially young women, might want to own a handgun, but I see no need for them to own a rifle. Most young people's brains aren't even fully developed until they're 21.

Sooooo, because YOU see no need for them to own a rifle, YOU think everyone should see no need? What else do you see no need for this age group or any other age group? I see no need for them to listen to that hip hop rap shit either. Maybe we should prevent that kind of music. People desire different things for different reasons. YOU and me don't get to decide. You're entitled to your opinion no matter how moronic it is.....just like they are entitled to have a gun for any number of reasons they feel the need. Part of the problem with our society today is people like you infantilizing our youth.

It's a useless change in the law that will accomplish nothing. It's security theater and nothing more.
You're right there, Bro!
What we need is Federal laws that bring some sanity to the scene, as Australia has done.
Since when do criminals and monster murderers pay attention to laws? And what does a penal colony have to do with the united states?

People drive over the speed limits every day. That's not a good argument for abolishing all speed limit laws.

Outside of urban areas we should abolish speed limit laws. I've driven on the Autobahn in Germany and on the freeways in Italy and they have no speed limits outside of the major cities.

It's a useless change in the law that will accomplish nothing. It's security theater and nothing more.

NOTHING WILL WORK! So why bother. Do I have it right?

Oh, there are plenty of things that will work, in my opinion, but you probably wouldn't agree with a lot of it. You people are the reason this is happening.

Apparently, you have never been in the military. If the military requires you to carry a gun as part of your duties, you will be trained in the proper use and cleaning of the weapon in question, as well as will have it ISSUED TO YOU. No purchase required.

And, you can enlist in the Delayed Entry Program at age 17, but you cannot ship off to boot camp until AFTER your 18th birthday.

I guess you don't read or comprehend too well. Please try harder. HOW OR WHERE did I ever say otherwise or that a kid had to buy his own gun for in the service? And the age to sign up with parental consent is 17.5 years regardless of whenever you enter.

Wrong. You can... join when you are only 17.

So you agree with me.

You kinda implied it when you said this....................

Better learn then to read better. I asked about the conflict of how can you have a kid in the Army fighting with guns defending the country years before he is of legal age to handle a firearm? There, is that SPELLED OUT plain enough for you? At least one other person has brought the same question up on this board before me.

You kinda implied they had to buy their own guns

Wrong. You wrongly inferred something that was never said and you misunderstood. Why would anyone ever think a person had to buy their own firearms while in the fricking military????? And just where would you go to get it? It's stupid to even suggest that.

No, because you said that you can't join until you are 17.5, meaning seventeen and a half. You can actually join when you turn 17 if you can manage to ship out within a year of enlistment. Join on your 17th birthday and ship out to boot camp on your 18th. It can be done.

And, you might want to check out what the law they want to write says. You can't BUY a weapon until you are 21. If you enlist, and they issue you one, it's a totally different thing.

And, if they said that you couldn't HANDLE a weapon instead of BUY a weapon, that would incur the wrath of a whole bunch of people in this country, because even though the kids can't buy the weapon, many families (mine included) had the parents buy the weapon and the kids used them for hunting.

How is a former PN gets simple stuff like this wrong?

I joined when I was 17, shipped out to boot camp when I was 17, and made E-4 only 4 months after I turned 18.

You can buy an AR-15 or shotgun when you are 18, but have to wait to 21 to buy a handgun.

Your reading comprehension sucks Admrial. Toobfreak said that you had to wait until you were 17.5 years old. I told him that with the DEP program you could join at 17, not 17.5.

I'm an NRA member and have been for DECADES .. I own more guns than most people have IQ points - I dont own an assault rifle and several 40 round clips because I DONT NEED ONE - and theres not an 18 year old kid on the planet that "NEEDS" one for anything other than slaughtering people .. anyone thats 18 and wants an assault rifle to carry around and look bad ass then go join the Marines and BE BAD ASS. They can hook you up with as many rags as you can handle.

The End

Not true... No 18 yr old wants to see the spring calves EATEN by varmints.. semi auto with fair size clip is the right tool for that job.. ALSO handy for long wilderness hike..

Please tell me that you didn't just use the term "clip"!

Because a clip is the part I use to hold my score card dummy.. :biggrin: First rifle with a "clip" was a Ruger with a square 10 round flush magazine. Didn't LOOK like a clip.. I went from there.
told-my-wife-i-wanted-a-9mm-shells-and-a-6625832.png

I think it is a good idea that those under the age of 18 should have some sort of parent undersign their purchase and maybe even parental supervision, but tell me, if no one under 21 can legally buy a gun, how will kids 17.5 years of age enlist into the Army where they will have guns up to the teeth?

Apparently, you have never been in the military. If the military requires you to carry a gun as part of your duties, you will be trained in the proper use and cleaning of the weapon in question, as well as will have it ISSUED TO YOU. No purchase required.

And, you can enlist in the Delayed Entry Program at age 17, but you cannot ship off to boot camp until AFTER your 18th birthday.

I guess you don't read or comprehend too well. Please try harder. HOW OR WHERE did I ever say otherwise or that a kid had to buy his own gun for in the service? And the age to sign up with parental consent is 17.5 years regardless of whenever you enter.

Wrong. It is 17.

You and BikerSailor are both trying very hard to be more wrong than the other.

The Admiral is correct. I was a recruiter for the Marine Corps and the MEPS Liaison for 2 years. You can ship to bootcamp at 17 with parental permission.

You are also required to have a HS diploma or GED. And no, from 1999 until 2002, the regs that I had said that nobody was allowed to ship before their 18th birthday.

You're right there, Bro!
What we need is Federal laws that bring some sanity to the scene, as Australia has done.

Australian gun laws didn't work...their gun crime rate is going up...and their laws did not stop mass shootings...dumb luck has saved them...not their laws.....they have had about a dozen public shootings after they banned guns......the shooter had an illegal gun, in a public space...but either didn't shoot more than 2 people or when they shot more, they didn't die.....explain how that is their gun laws stopping mass public shootings?

Wrong. You can... join when you are only 17.

So you agree with me.

You kinda implied it when you said this....................

Better learn then to read better. I asked about the conflict of how can you have a kid in the Army fighting with guns defending the country years before he is of legal age to handle a firearm? There, is that SPELLED OUT plain enough for you? At least one other person has brought the same question up on this board before me.

You kinda implied they had to buy their own guns

Wrong. You wrongly inferred something that was never said and you misunderstood. Why would anyone ever think a person had to buy their own firearms while in the fricking military????? And just where would you go to get it? It's stupid to even suggest that.

No, because you said that you can't join until you are 17.5, meaning seventeen and a half. You can actually join when you turn 17 if you can manage to ship out within a year of enlistment. Join on your 17th birthday and ship out to boot camp on your 18th. It can be done.

And, you might want to check out what the law they want to write says. You can't BUY a weapon until you are 21. If you enlist, and they issue you one, it's a totally different thing.

And, if they said that you couldn't HANDLE a weapon instead of BUY a weapon, that would incur the wrath of a whole bunch of people in this country, because even though the kids can't buy the weapon, many families (mine included) had the parents buy the weapon and the kids used them for hunting.

How is a former PN gets simple stuff like this wrong?

I joined when I was 17, shipped out to boot camp when I was 17, and made E-4 only 4 months after I turned 18.

You can buy an AR-15 or shotgun when you are 18, but have to wait to 21 to buy a handgun.

Your reading comprehension sucks Admrial. Toobfreak said that you had to wait until you were 17.5 years old. I told him that with the DEP program you could join at 17, not 17.5.

My comment was to disprove your 18th birthday and can't buy a weapons before 21 bullshit! Reading is not your strong suit. I read just fine. You were wrong.

It's time to begin isolating the NRA...

We see the serious beginnings of this with Enterprise, Symantec, the First National Bank of Omaha, and SimpliSafe, today...

Gotta love it, when the Big Boys begin shunning the Obstructionists and standing alongside The Children's Crusade that now unfolding...

The NRA is being repositioned as a Toxic Brand...

And we may finally have reached a tipping point...

Good...

It's about time...

Last edited:
Just because an 18-year-old soldier can use a rifle in the Army is no reason to allow an 18-year-old civilian to buy a rifle. His use of a rifle in the Army is tightly controlled and closely monitored. That is very different from allowing some 18-year-old punk to walk into a gun store and buy an AR-15. There is just no need for a kid that age to own a rifle. A handgun? Maybe. But not a rifle.

Just because an 18-year-old soldier can use a rifle in the Army is no reason to allow an 18-year-old civilian to buy a rifle. His use of a rifle in the Army is tightly controlled and closely monitored. That is very different from allowing some 18-year-old punk to walk into a gun store and buy an AR-15. There is just no need for a kid that age to own a rifle. A handgun? Maybe. But not a rifle.

Handguns are ALREADY banned for purchase until 21. BECAUSE (as you would probably do not know) they are the cause of FAR more illegal use than any rifles.

It's time to begin isolating the NRA...

We see the serious beginnings of this with Enterprise, Symantec, the First National Bank of Omaha, and SimpliSafe, today...

Gotta love it, when the Big Boys begin shunning the Obstructionists and standing alongside The Children's Crusade that now unfolding...

The NRA is being repositioned as a Toxic Brand...

And we may finally have reached a tipping point...

Good...

It's about time...

This is delusional, and a bit scary. What does the NRA have to do with the Parkland school shooting? The NRA has been urging stronger security in schools for years. Is it the NRA's fault that the FBI and the local police failed to follow up on clear leads and red flags that should have prevented the shooting many times over? And what if Cruz had used a car? Would you be saying it's about time we isolate the AAA auto club and all car makers?

You're right there, Bro!

Australian gun laws didn't work...their gun crime rate is going up...and their laws did not stop mass shootings...dumb luck has saved them...not their laws.....they have had about a dozen public shootings after they banned guns......the shooter had an illegal gun, in a public space...but either didn't shoot more than 2 people or when they shot more, they didn't die.....explain how that is their gun laws stopping mass public shootings?

How many mass shootings with fully automatic weapons can you name in the US in the last 50 or so years?

How are you conservatives going to feel about Trump when he raises the age for buying a gun to 21, and bans the sales of bump stocks?

And, if he does, the NRA is going to go against him. They gave him 300,000,000 for his presidential campaign.

Trump endorses raising minimum age for more weapons

Trump said on Twitter, "I will be strongly pushing Comprehensive Background Checks with an emphasis on Mental Health. Raise age to 21 and end sale of Bump Stocks!" The president did not immediately offer more details.

Trump's focus on gun violence came as leaders of the National Rifle Association offered a vigorous defense of gun rights during the Conservative Political Action Conference, urging enhanced — and armed — security at schools. An armed Broward County sheriff's deputy, the regular school resource officer, was on the campus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, at the time of the shooting.

What is scared is that he is vague, but upfront. Just common sense stuff. Same tone he had on illegals. Trumpkins forget, Trump was a big supporter of the 1994 crime bill. None of this surprises me at all.

As far as raising the age, so what? That idea is almost insulting. And the strong emphasis on mental health? What’s that look like? Who decides and will we get yet another government database that can be used to dig up dirt on citizens w ho dare to speak publicly or run for office? I know it’s very crazy idea, but so is the idea that our president is a Russian spy, sooo.

You're right there, Bro!

How many mass shootings with fully automatic weapons can you name in the US in the last 50 or so years?

Fully automatic weapons...no. Your point? Is it that it costs more to get a fully automatic weapon? That lame point? Really?

Considering that in France, muslim terrorists, on government terrorist watch lists, many of them criminals with criminal records..... were able to get actual....fully automatic military rifles, in France, a country where they are completely illegal, where they do not have gun stores, they don't have gun shows..........

And then tell us how it is that French criminals get the same fully automatic weapons......

Please......tell us how all of these criminals were able to get fully automatic weapons in a country where they are completely illegal...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/02/gun-control-in-europe-is-almost-total-it-hasnt-stopped-mass-shooting-attacks-like-las-vegas.html

You heard that right: Countries such as France may have made all semi-automatic guns illegal, but that hasn’t stopped killers from getting fully automatic machine guns to use in mass shooting attacks.
All four of the 2015 mass public shooting in France involved machine guns, including the 130 people killed in November of that year in multiple attacks including one at a concert venue.

----

Hundreds of guns, grenades, ammo seized from French sports shop owner

Hundreds of assault rifles, shotguns, and pistols, along with hand grenades and 100 kilos of ammunition, have been confiscated from a sports shop owner in the northern French port town of Boulogne-sur-Mer.

In total, 488 guns, 13 grenades, 1,309 weapons parts, and more than 100 kilos of cartridges and ammunition were seized, customs officials said in a statement.

----

'An Everest of Murderous Frenzy': Marseille Drug Gangs Are Using GPS to Kill Their Rivals | VICE News

Delseny gave the example of a double homicide on November 9, in which two people riding in a BMW were gunned down as their car exited a tunnel near the Vieux-Port harbor. According to Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin, the killing was part of a turf war between rival drug gangs.
-----

Around 10pm on Saturday, two or three men armed with automatic weapons showed up outside a grocery store in the Bassens projects, in the north of the city. Three individuals aged 20 to 30 who had gathered at the store to watch a live broadcast of the Barcelona versus Real Madrid soccer game were killed in the shooting. One of the victims was not involved in drugs trafficking, and appears to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

----

French gunman's arsenal spotlights illegal arms trade

As France asks itself whether it could have done more to prevent Islamist gunman Mohamed Merah shooting dead seven people in a killing spree that shook the nation, there is one question that refuses to go away: how did he obtain so many guns.

The size and nature of the arsenal amassed by Merah - who stockpiled at least eight guns including a Kalashnikov assault rifle and an Uzi machine pistol - has focused attention on the easy availability of illegal weapons in France and their growing use in ultra-violent crimes.

As an angry online reader of the daily Le Figaro newspaper put it: "How was he able to buy all these guns, like one buys yoghurts, when he was under the surveillance of the DCRI (the French intelligence agency)?"

----

Paris attacks highlight France's gun control problems

But in recent years a black market has proliferated. The number of illegal weapons has risen at a rapid rate – double-digit percentages – for several years, according to the National Observatory for Delinquency, a body created in 2003.

“In Marseille and the surrounding area almost all the score settling is carried out using weapons used in wars,” a police spokesman told Reuters after the Toulouse attacks, adding that Kalashnikovs were the weapon of choice: “If you don’t have a ‘Kalash’ you’re a bit of a loser.”

============================

How are you conservatives going to feel about Trump when he raises the age for buying a gun to 21, and bans the sales of bump stocks?

And, if he does, the NRA is going to go against him. They gave him 300,000,000 for his presidential campaign.

Trump endorses raising minimum age for more weapons

Trump said on Twitter, "I will be strongly pushing Comprehensive Background Checks with an emphasis on Mental Health. Raise age to 21 and end sale of Bump Stocks!" The president did not immediately offer more details.

Trump's focus on gun violence came as leaders of the National Rifle Association offered a vigorous defense of gun rights during the Conservative Political Action Conference, urging enhanced — and armed — security at schools. An armed Broward County sheriff's deputy, the regular school resource officer, was on the campus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, at the time of the shooting.

What is scared is that he is vague, but upfront. Just common sense stuff. Same tone he had on illegals. Trumpkins forget, Trump was a big supporter of the 1994 crime bill. None of this surprises me at all.

As far as raising the age, so what? That idea is almost insulting. And the strong emphasis on mental health? What’s that look like? Who decides and will we get yet another government database that can be used to dig up dirt on citizens w ho dare to speak publicly or run for office? I know it’s very crazy idea, but so is the idea that our president is a Russian spy, sooo.

And the average age of mass public shooters is 33..........raising the age to 21 is another act of Security Theater...

You're right there, Bro!

Fully automatic weapons...no. Your point? Is it that it costs more to get a fully automatic weapon? That lame point? Really?

Considering that in France, muslim terrorists, on government terrorist watch lists, many of them criminals with criminal records..... were able to get actual....fully automatic military rifles, in France, a country where they are completely illegal, where they do not have gun stores, they don't have gun shows..........

And then tell us how it is that French criminals get the same fully automatic weapons......

Please......tell us how all of these criminals were able to get fully automatic weapons in a country where they are completely illegal...

Gun control in Europe is almost total. It hasn't stopped mass shooting attacks like Las Vegas

You heard that right: Countries such as France may have made all semi-automatic guns illegal, but that hasn’t stopped killers from getting fully automatic machine guns to use in mass shooting attacks.
All four of the 2015 mass public shooting in France involved machine guns, including the 130 people killed in November of that year in multiple attacks including one at a concert venue.

----

Hundreds of guns, grenades, ammo seized from French sports shop owner

Hundreds of assault rifles, shotguns, and pistols, along with hand grenades and 100 kilos of ammunition, have been confiscated from a sports shop owner in the northern French port town of Boulogne-sur-Mer.

In total, 488 guns, 13 grenades, 1,309 weapons parts, and more than 100 kilos of cartridges and ammunition were seized, customs officials said in a statement.

----

'An Everest of Murderous Frenzy': Marseille Drug Gangs Are Using GPS to Kill Their Rivals | VICE News

Delseny gave the example of a double homicide on November 9, in which two people riding in a BMW were gunned down as their car exited a tunnel near the Vieux-Port harbor. According to Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin, the killing was part of a turf war between rival drug gangs.
-----

Around 10pm on Saturday, two or three men armed with automatic weapons showed up outside a grocery store in the Bassens projects, in the north of the city. Three individuals aged 20 to 30 who had gathered at the store to watch a live broadcast of the Barcelona versus Real Madrid soccer game were killed in the shooting. One of the victims was not involved in drugs trafficking, and appears to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

----

French gunman's arsenal spotlights illegal arms trade

As France asks itself whether it could have done more to prevent Islamist gunman Mohamed Merah shooting dead seven people in a killing spree that shook the nation, there is one question that refuses to go away: how did he obtain so many guns.

The size and nature of the arsenal amassed by Merah - who stockpiled at least eight guns including a Kalashnikov assault rifle and an Uzi machine pistol - has focused attention on the easy availability of illegal weapons in France and their growing use in ultra-violent crimes.

As an angry online reader of the daily Le Figaro newspaper put it: "How was he able to buy all these guns, like one buys yoghurts, when he was under the surveillance of the DCRI (the French intelligence agency)?"

----

Paris attacks highlight France's gun control problems

But in recent years a black market has proliferated. The number of illegal weapons has risen at a rapid rate – double-digit percentages – for several years, according to the National Observatory for Delinquency, a body created in 2003.

“In Marseille and the surrounding area almost all the score settling is carried out using weapons used in wars,” a police spokesman told Reuters after the Toulouse attacks, adding that Kalashnikovs were the weapon of choice: “If you don’t have a ‘Kalash’ you’re a bit of a loser.”

============================

Nice filibuster.

The point is that mass killings in the US with fully automatic weapons do not occur because those weapons have been subjected to CONTROL.

So argue whatever else you want to argue, but you LOSE the argument that gun control never works, and the control of automatic weapons in the US proves it.

Forum List

Back