Now This Is Funny... Laura Criticizes Myanmar's Response to Crisis?

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Well, funny in an ironic way, anyhow, since I don't recall her being concerned for the people of NOLA. :eusa_doh:

First lady criticizes Burmese crisis response

WASHINGTON — First lady Laura Bush, a harsh critic of the military junta in Burma, slammed the regime Monday for failing to issue a timely warning to its citizens in the path of a deadly cyclone.
She expressed concern that the government would spurn foreign emergency aid for the country, also known as Myanmar.

Tropical Cyclone Nargis hit Burma early Saturday with winds of up to 120 mph, leaving hundreds of thousands of people homeless. It killed almost 4,000 people and left about 3,000 others missing.

The State Department has authorized an emergency contribution of $250,000.

In a rare news conference on a foreign policy topic, Bush told reporters the United States "stands prepared" to provide an assistance team and needed supplies to Burma, as soon as the Burmese government accepts the offer.

"I'm worried that they won't even accept U.S. aid," she said in the White House press room. "And I urge the government to accept aid from the United States and from the entire international community right now while the needs of their people are so critical."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-05-05-laura-bush_N.htm

On a side note, does anyone know why USA Today is refusing to call it Myanmar and is calling it Burma? Just curious.

I guess laura and this administration feel closer to Burma/Myanmar than to New Orleans?

I guess the reason for the name confusion is a military junta took over the country, so maybe some think it is still up in the air?

At least someone is condemning the response. A lot of people are dead over there.

I don't know why USA today would call it Burma, but I know a lot of human rights organizations and individuals call it Burma as sort of a symbolic refusal to recognize the legitimacy of the military junta there. They don't get to change the name because they are a bunch of illegitimate fuckheads who have totally trashed the country.

At least someone is condemning the response. A lot of people are dead over there.

I don't know why USA today would call it Burma, but I know a lot of human rights organizations and individuals call it Burma as sort of a symbolic refusal to recognize the legitimacy of the military junta there. They don't get to change the name because they are a bunch of illegitimate fuckheads who have totally trashed the country.

I have no quarrel with condemning the response. And yes, 22,000+ people are dead there. I was merely pointing out the irony of her concern for this issue when she was silent about the response to New Orleans. (I think we can agree on that).

And, yes, they do get to change the name even if they're a bunch of fuckheads...unfortunately.

Explain to me again exactly what Laura Bush was supposed to do about New Orleans.

Prevent the flooding? Shoot looters? Perhaps use her own money to build houses better than the shitholes the poor people were squatting in before the flood, and let them live there free of charge while they looted the rest of the city?

Still not an answer to the question. What, exactly, was she supposed to do?

Still not an answer to the question. What, exactly, was she supposed to do?

Give a shit? Kick her husband in the ass? Express concern over the terrible response by the US Government? Tell Barbra Bush to take a flying fuck?

Any and all would have been good.

Give a shit? Kick her husband in the ass? Express concern over the terrible response by the US Government? Tell Barbra Bush to take a flying fuck?

But then she'd have been contradicting her mother in law who said the poor people of NOLA were much better off. :rolleyes:

:clap2:

i believe what mama bush said was

"it's a good thing that this happened to the poor in New Orleans because they are used to living in squalor"

and Obama was elitist for what again?

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 5, 2005

(Source)

I have no quarrel with condemning the response. And yes, 22,000+ people are dead there. I was merely pointing out the irony of her concern for this issue when she was silent about the response to New Orleans. (I think we can agree on that).

And, yes, they do get to change the name even if they're a bunch of fuckheads...unfortunately.

Well except for the whole " the US did not fail to warn" anyone for ANY Hurricane and did not FAIL to act after said Hurricanes and did not spurn foreign aid either, As I recall there were whines because Mexican troops brought aid to the US.

But ya just the same....:shock: :sad: :rolleyes:

What terrible response? The response was timely considering the devastation and the fact the Governor and Mayor FAILED to do their jobs. You people are idiots.

What terrible response? The response was timely considering the devastation and the fact the Governor and Mayor FAILED to do their jobs. You people are idiots.

Nope. The mayor oversaw the biggest and most successful evacuation of a city in the history of the country. 97% evacuated.

The federal response was slow, just like it was after Hurricane Andrew. It took days before Bush got off his ass and noticed there was a problem. And you seem to be forgetting that he signed on to be responsible for the federal response.

Regardless, it is quite ironic that Laura Bush is crying over the treatment of non-Americans when our government couldn't be bothered with our own fellow citizens.

Forum List

Back