Now This Is Funny... Laura Criticizes Myanmar's Response to Crisis?

Interesting and informative...but don't expect to sway anyone....

some of these people think that Brownie and Bush should have been carrying ice water to the victims personally....

both the NO Mayor and LA Governor did one hell of a job of shifting responsibility to the Federal Gov. and the "blame Bush" crowd played the media like a fine fiddle....

When Bush folded FEMA into DHS, he made DHS the first responder. Stupid? Perhaps. But it was a reaction to 9/11 and the inability of the firefighters and police to communicate.

There were plenty of nonflooded places where helicopters could have landed.

I guess laura and this administration feel closer to Burma/Myanmar than to New Orleans?

I guess the reason for the name confusion is a military junta took over the country, so maybe some think it is still up in the air?

Still beating that dead chicken eh? what a loser.

By the way, why dont you mention Mississippi, it was hit harder than New Orleans, oh yea, thats cuz the state and local officials there did a great job compared to the corrupt and inept officals in NO, LA. So its just so convienent to blame someone else, typical libecrat.

What terrible response? The response was timely considering the devastation and the fact the Governor and Mayor FAILED to do their jobs. You people are idiots.

Actually they arent idiots. They are quite adept at manipulating the public opinion with lies, deception and the MSM

Nope. The mayor oversaw the biggest and most successful evacuation of a city in the history of the country. 97% evacuated.

The federal response was slow, just like it was after Hurricane Andrew. It took days before Bush got off his ass and noticed there was a problem. And you seem to be forgetting that he signed on to be responsible for the federal response.

Regardless, it is quite ironic that Laura Bush is crying over the treatment of non-Americans when our government couldn't be bothered with our own fellow citizens.

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH you have omitted. Feds could not respond until the Gov asked them to. It would be stomping on the Constitution if they had, oh, but then that would have been your bitch had the Feds responded immediately, which is when they wanted to.

"NBC's Lisa Myers Reports on Governor Blanco's Katrina Mistakes
By Brad Wilmouth | October 9, 2005 - 00:04 ET

On the Saturday edition of the NBC Nightly News, anchored by John Seigenthaler, correspondent Lisa Myers reported several critical mistakes made by Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco in handling the Hurricane Katrina crisis. The story even showcased a whispered conversation, recorded by CNN, between Blanco and an aide in which Blanco admitted she had been too slow in asking for federal troops. Blanco: "I really need to call for the military ... and I should have started that in the first call."

Myers also relayed that when Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation 20 hours before Katrina hit, they were ignoring the advice of experts who had warned it would take 48 hours. Additionally, Blanco was slow to get National Guard troops to restore order. A complete transcript of the story follows:

John Seigenthaler: "In the aftermath of the hurricanes, NBC News has been taking a hard look at response failures by government officials, and there are plenty to go around. We've already brought you reviews of federal and city actions. Well, tonight, NBC's senior investigative correspondent Lisa Myers focuses on the performance of Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco."

Lisa Myers: "It was Governor Blanco's first big disaster, and on that Saturday, less than 48 hours before Katrina hit, she reassured the state."

Governor Kathleen Blanco (D-LA): "I believe that we are really prepared. That's the one thing that I've always been able to brag about."

Myers: "Though experts had warned it would take 48 hours to evacuate New Orleans, Blanco did not order a mandatory evacuation that Saturday."

Blanco: "And we're going to pray that the impact will soften."

Myers: "She and the mayor waited until Sunday, only 20 hours before Katrina came ashore, to order a mandatory evacuation, the first of what disaster experts and Louisiana insiders say were serious mistakes by the governor."

State Senator Donald Cravins (D-LA): "It certainly appeared that there was a lot of indecisiveness exhibited by the governor in the early stages of the disaster."

Myers: "A key criticism, the governor's slowness in requesting federal troops. She told the President she needed help, but it wasn't until Wednesday that she specifically asked for 40,000 troops. That day, in a whispered conversation with her staff caught on camera, the governor appears to second-guess herself."

Blanco: "I really need to call for the military."

Unidentified female aide: "Yes, you do. Yes, you do."

Blanco: "And I should have started that in the first call."

Myers: "Another key mistake, experts say, Blanco's lateness in getting the Louisiana National Guard, which she commands, on the streets to try to establish security."

Jane Bullock, Former Clinton FEMA Official: "It would have been better if it had happened sooner."

Myers: "And remember the chaos at the Convention Center? We now know there were at least 250 Guardsmen deployed in another part of that building. But they were engineers, not police, so they were not directed to help restore order or even to share their food and water."

Colonel Doug Mouton, Louisiana National Guard: "I think we would've hurt a lot of people if we'd tried to take that on."

Myers: "The governor would not say whether she made the decision not to use these troops, and tells NBC News that her state's response to Katrina was, quote, 'very well-planned' and 'executed with great precision and effectiveness.'"

Roy Fletcher, Louisiana Political Consultant: "How could any governor argue that they have done what they can do when people were left on an interstate without food and water for a week?"

Myers: "The governor has said she takes responsibility for what went wrong, but insists her biggest mistake was believing FEMA officials who told her help was on the way. Lisa Myers, NBC News, Washington."

http://newsbusters.org/node/2072

When Bush folded FEMA into DHS, he made DHS the first responder. Stupid? Perhaps. But it was a reaction to 9/11 and the inability of the firefighters and police to communicate.

There were plenty of nonflooded places where helicopters could have landed.

FROM DHS itself:

First Responders
The Department of Homeland Security is committed to helping first responders nation-wide by ensuring that emergency response professionals are prepared, equipped and trained for any situation, and by bringing together information and resources to prepare for and respond to a terrorist attack, natural disaster or other large-scale emergency

http://www.dhs.gov/xfrstresp/

"helping first responders" means THEY ARENT the first responders.

The snopes article didn't support your position. It showed that Blanco requested federal aid earlier than you stated (which was the point of posting the article). ;o)

And I don't think Nagin and Blanco did so well either... but it was FEMA whose job it was...and Brownie really DIDN'T do "a hell of a job".

Wrong. I said a day. She requested it a day and a night prior to. I'll give you that night. Big whoop. Had anyone decided to work all Saturday night at doing something it was too late.

It is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the Federal government's job to handle local emergencies. PERIOD. It is the Fed's job to step in IF THEY HAVE TO. They may have been slow at, but the fact is, you demand the impossible. The Federal government doesn't react quickly to ANYTHING. NOTHING. It never has. It's never going to either.

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that as far as people are concerned it is SOLELY the function of state and local authorities to properly evacuate them. The intial screwup was Nagin's and Blanco's PERIOD.

But you sit around and wait for the Fed to come bail you out. If a Cat 5 starts heading straight for us through the Gulf, my ass is going to San Angelo and i'm not waiting on anyone to come wipe my ass and point me in the right direction. Hurricane in your face = haul ass to the rear. Blaming the Fed for Nagin's and Blanco's screwups is as stupid as staring into a Cat 5 Hurricane all weekend and not getting your ass to higher and dryer ground.

Wrong. I said a day. She requested it a day and a night prior to. I'll give you that night. Big whoop. Had anyone decided to work all Saturday night at doing something it was too late.

It is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the Federal government's job to handle local emergencies. PERIOD. It is the Fed's job to step in IF THEY HAVE TO. They may have been slow at, but the fact is, you demand the impossible. The Federal government doesn't react quickly to ANYTHING. NOTHING. It never has. It's never going to either.

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that as far as people are concerned it is SOLELY the function of state and local authorities to properly evacuate them. The intial screwup was Nagin's and Blanco's PERIOD.

But you sit around and wait for the Fed to come bail you out. If a Cat 5 starts heading straight for us through the Gulf, my ass is going to San Angelo and i'm not waiting on anyone to come wipe my ass and point me in the right direction. Hurricane in your face = haul ass to the rear. Blaming the Fed for Nagin's and Blanco's screwups is as stupid as staring into a Cat 5 Hurricane all weekend and not getting your ass to higher and dryer ground.

Bush's FEMA has to rely on this technical nonsense because they simply failed to do their job. Bush sat in a conference room and promised FEMA would help. It's on video. After he pulled his head out of his ass, he promised New Orleans would be rebuilt. They are still waiting for him to keep that promise.

Bush's FEMA has to rely on this technical nonsense because they simply failed to do their job. Bush sat in a conference room and promised FEMA would help. It's on video. After he pulled his head out of his ass, he promised New Orleans would be rebuilt. They are still waiting for him to keep that promise.

I just can't wait for Obamessiah to be ordained to the Supreme ruler of the United States....... He will certainly fix everything and bring peace and love to the world. Then again if he doesn't, I'm sure all of you asswhipes that have been so willing to blame everything that has gone wrong around the planet on the current administration will certainly turn your critical eye on him, right?

blah, blah, blah, blah . . .

If Obama takes a government function such as FEMA and trashes it like Bush did, I will certainly take him to task. I don't blame the asswipe Bush for everything that goes wrong, but I do hold him accountable for that which he fucked up. And that is considerable.

FEMA does not have assets. They provide a management/finanacial financial function only. I don't understand why this is so hard for everyone to understand. The PLAN, which didn't exist except on paper, and the assets to carry it out is strictly the responsibility of the local governments and the state. PERIOD!!@!!@ FEMA provides everyone with the general outline and guidance to put together the PLAN and everyone is required to prove they have one and that they have done things, perform mock distaster excercises, etc. but they don't come into town and hold your hand and do it for you. If you submit a plan and to them, they operate on the assumption that you cared enough about your own neck to have put it into place.
It was a wrong assumption when it came to New Orleans! Go figure! I don't care if they were Republican, Democrat, or Martian, the local government and state dropped the ball completely.
When FEMA arrives they don't come in trucks but in rental cars preparing to do assessments of the damage. They couldn't even do that because no one thought that they might need to clear roads, turn off power, provide water, and so on forever. It was like they were taken to third world country and told "here, sorry, but there's no plan, no one in charge, and no one to even talk to that's inside the area, but there's lot's a people outside bitch'in so do something with your pencils and paper".
As for keeping promises. The people to have done something deserve help and they are getting it. What you see on the news are the homes of the people who just left and don't have any intention of returning.

Facts dont fit your agenda, so just call them Technical nonsense. So Orwellean of you.

Apparently you havent read a lot that has been linked to by this thread

Forum List

Back