NOW the USPS is going under. what in the heck is going on?

I was applying for a post office job a few years back. Holidays? there's only 11 or 12 of those. Your first year you get 25 days vacation and 30 days sick level. There problem now is that no one works a fice day work week let alone 6. It goes up to 30 days the second year.

Figure in fifty-two Sundays then add 72 paid days off a year. That's 124 days out of 365 you don't have to work a year.
whatever Post Office you work at.....i wanna TRANSFER......124 DAYS A YEAR!!!!.....WOW.....my bags are packed....got my Satchel and im waiting for the word....

Yeah I already raked him on that one. I don't know who was recruiting him. I told him I never would have retired.

usps is dying due to their overall refusal to update...pay scales of course play in but lets consider mailing with usps or ups..

usps you have to go in and hope you get waited on...stand in line etc...then get to the counter to find out the maze of rules..you cant ship this or that...media mail is cheaper but does it have ads...on and on the list goes...then the prices...if you want it insured or confirmed...you do realize a confirmation is not worth much...so you have to insure it...on and on

ups..you can open your own account on line..drop it off at a drop off point...it is already insured for $100.00 and you can simply purchase more if needed...they may ask you about contents but that is about all...

which would you rather do?

i do not use any stamps..hardly....i cant think of the last time i used a stamp...man uses 2 a month...everything else is done on the net....i use a bill pay system that allows the money to be transferred to most payees within 48 hours...if the payee is not set up with transfers my billing system will issue them a check and mail it...for free...

o wait i do remember the last time i went to the post office...i waited for over 15 minutes..while the guy in front of me got money orders..then found out you cant use a check to pay for them...so they began all over again..then i put my letter package up and she says ..it can be there in 3 to 5 days for over 5 dollars..i decline and mention that if i mail it first class it will be there the next day...(instate)
she continues to rattle off all these prices...i tell her i just want first class...it was $2.02..the reason i remember is i didnt have the 2 cents and bummed it from a guy in the long ass line behind me..
it was poor service combined with outlandish prices for services i didnt need or ask for...
what nonsense.....or should i say BULL SHIT....

Of course it's going broke.

It was a system designed in another age, for another age.

It was never designed to make money, either, and their attempt to turn it into a for-profit couldn't possibly work given the organization's gestalt.

It's got too much real estate tht it cannot support and too much overhead from pensions which were designed in that age when workers who devoted their lives to a company were rewarded for that loyal service

Imagine that...taking care of loyal employees.. what WERE they thinking!?!

the post office does not take care of its "WORKING" employees......

The USPS is a national utility and social service. Part of its mandate is to reach every household and PO box and it deals with much more than what can be replace via email. We can cut back to daily delivery, cut out express mailing, etc., but the national coverage issue is a big part of the equation.

Responding that everyone should use the internet, essentially blowing off USPS is easy to say, but not easy to do. That they are inefficient, etc.; everything in government can be criticized at that level.

thanks for your support I O......

Many misconceptions about the postal service. for starters, it is not government subsidized and your tax dollars do not pay for the postal service, however the postal service does not pay taxes. The usps has not really been a government entitysince 1971. The postal service would love to catch up with the times, but for an institution that isn't supported by tax dollars, unfortunately they do not have the freedom to instantly change their business strategy because they are bound by old laws that hinder their growth. why not close those tiny post offices that don't even pay for themselves??? Can't do that, there is almost always a group of do gooders that don't want their community to "lose their identity"....please. the postal service has managed to remain competetive with fed ex and ups despite the restrictions placed on them. did you know the usps cannot show a profit? did you know you have the cheapest stamp in the world and if you drop something in the mail, you can be assured that it more than likely will get there. the usps is one of the largest employers in this country, do you really wish for them to fail because what would it do to this countries economy? think about this before you wish for failure.

One institution after another is falling over, dead. Sure smacks of poor management and poor social awareness of your surroundings, thats for sure!

that's what you think this is all about? ... no, it goes a bit deeper than poor "management", ... literally.

agree with the five day service...saturday mail is nearly all unnecessary...

and what about their egregious amount of federal holidays...cut one holiday

this situation is a prime example of why the government should not run anything, amtrak...usps...

name a few things that the government runs that it makes money on...
The 5 day work week would really be beneficial for the Post office. But, I did hear that they wanted to eliminate Tuesday as a delivery day. That is what's know as "Postal Logic". They are famous for this kind of thinking. The union has a lock on the holidays...that would take an act of congress to eliminate some of them..... we're talking obama and "union"....
The person that knows how the mail is delivered is the best person to ask on ways to save money, and hours in the post office....that would be the carrier, or clerk. They are the ones that have no input at all.
There is way too much upper level management in the post office, I worked there for 30 years, and seen it all....there was a reason why the term "Going Postal" was coined. It was because of management, and "postal logic" working in harmony.

The unions will never allow them to go to a 5 day week. They own the politicians as they put them in power!

Ha ha ha, the idiot gov will have to bailout itself! :lol:
LET'S GO, KEYNES!
keynes1.jpg

Forum List

Back