NOW the USPS is going under. what in the heck is going on?

RightofCenter

Mar 16, 2009
Midwest
One institution after another is falling over, dead. Sure smacks of poor management and poor social awareness of your surroundings, thats for sure!

WASHINGTON – The financially strapped U.S. Postal Service will run out of money this year without help from Congress, Postmaster General John Potter warned on Wednesday.

"We are facing losses of historic proportion. Our situation is critical," Potter told a House subcommittee.

The agency lost $2.8 billion last year and is looking at much larger losses this year said Potter, who is seeking congressional permission to reduce mail delivery from six days to five days a week.

Potter also urged changes in how it pre-pays for retiree health care to cut its annual costs by $2 billion.

If the Postal Service does run out of money, the lingering question, Potter told the House Oversight post office subcommittee, is which bills will get paid and which will not.

He said ensuring the payment of workers' salaries comes first, but other bills may have to wait.

Potter first raised the possibility of delivery cutbacks in January, but the idea has not been warmly received in Congress.

"With the Postal Service facing budget shortfalls the subcommittee will consider a number of options to restore financial stability and examine ways for the Postal Service to continue to operate without cutting services," subcommittee chairman Stephen F. Lynch, D-Mass., said.

Lynch said the financial stability of the Postal Service is "critical to the American expectation of affordable six-day mail delivery."

Even if the agency succeeds in reaching its planned cost cuts of $5.9 billion, there could still be a $6 billion deficit in 2010, Potter said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090325/ap_on_go_ot/postal_woes

Shortened and LINKED to comply with board copyright rules. Please comply in the future so your posts don't need to be deleted. Thank you.

cap post master salaries at 75g/year.

STARTING with that piece of shit Potter

Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
Raise came amid calls for cuts in delivery

Washington Times - Postmaster got $800,000 in pay, perks
that is what I was thinking.
I was also thinking the other day about how they say people do not send letters anymore due to email which causes them profit loss. But don't they send quite a bit more bills in the mail than they used to? Also when I order stuff off the internet it always seems to come USPS.
Maybe I am being an idiot and someone could explain to me how they loose so much money. And maybe it is just my family that gets the same amount of mail as they did ten fifteen years ago.

I was also thinking the other day about how they say people do not send letters anymore due to email which causes them profit loss. But don't they send quite a bit more bills in the mail than they used to? Also when I order stuff off the internet it always seems to come USPS.
Maybe I am being an idiot and someone could explain to me how they loose so much money. And maybe it is just my family that gets the same amount of mail as they did ten fifteen years ago.

Just within the past two months, I stopped receiving nearly all bills and banking statements via postal mail. I was sick of it having to shred it and ended up paying online anyways, so I switched the paper stuff out. If much can be done online, why not? It's a waste of paper anyway. I've also (finally!) stopped receiving as much junk mail -- catalogues and such. :D

The internet changed the way people bank, pay bills, purchase products, etc. Maybe the post office needs to revamp in order to keep up with the changing times. For starters, 5 days a week service seems like a good idea.

Just within the past two months, I stopped receiving nearly all bills and banking statements via postal mail. I was sick of it having to shred it and ended up paying online anyways, so I switched the paper stuff out. If much can be done online, why not? It's a waste of paper anyway. I've also (finally!) stopped receiving as much junk mail -- catalogues and such. :D

The internet changed the way people bank, pay bills, purchase products, etc. Maybe the post office needs to revamp in order to keep up with the changing times. For starters, 5 days a week service seems like a good idea.
you are probably right and I agree with the 5 day service.
I also thought about it, my parents are older so they do not do so much on the internet when it comes to bills plus my mom runs a business out of their home.
But on that note there are still flippin lines every time you go to the post office.

agree with the five day service...saturday mail is nearly all unnecessary...

and what about their egregious amount of federal holidays...cut one holiday

this situation is a prime example of why the government should not run anything, amtrak...usps...

name a few things that the government runs that it makes money on...

I also thought about it, my parents are older so they do not do so much on the internet when it comes to bills plus my mom runs a business out of their home.
But on that note there are still flippin lines every time you go to the post office.

My parents have never even touched a computer! My dad (he's 85) marvels when he comes over and we browse around if he's looking for info on something. :lol: My mom doesn't even get that far. They'll still call and try to give me directions to a place and I'm like -- it's right at my fingertips. The whole world of computers puzzles them. I don't blame them; I just spent the whole morning trying to figure out why I couldn't get internet access.

My parents have never even touched a computer! My dad (he's 85) marvels when he comes over and we browse around if he's looking for info on something. :lol: My mom doesn't even get that far. They'll still call and try to give me directions to a place and I'm like -- it's right at my fingertips. The whole world of computers puzzles them. I don't blame them; I just spent the whole morning trying to figure out why I couldn't get internet access.

You didn't plug the cable in?

Gaaaa!!!! :lol: I reset the modem, unplugged and plugged in, switch out cables, turned off modem and router, ran several diagnostics . . . you name it. Couldn't get the connection on the desktop, which means no connection for the laptop. I think the phone jack plug is the problem. Must have plugged and unplugged it half a dozen times. It doesn't 'click' into place. Finally disconnected the DSL filter and tried to connect; nope, then reconnected the filter and plugged it back into the phone jack yet again. Was dialing Verizon when the dang thing came up. Go figure.

Gaaaa!!!! :lol: I reset the modem, unplugged and plugged in, switch out cables, turned off modem and router, ran several diagnostics . . . you name it. Couldn't get the connection on the desktop, which means no connection for the laptop. I think the phone jack plug is the problem. Must have plugged and unplugged it half a dozen times. It doesn't 'click' into place. Finally disconnected the DSL filter and tried to connect; nope, then reconnected the filter and plugged it back into the phone jack yet again. Was dialing Verizon when the dang thing came up. Go figure.

:lol: I was online with the helpdesk at work with a problem. My boss chimed in saying he couldn't get online so we started asking him questions and finally he said he forgot to plug in the cable. :cuckoo:

The guy at the helpdesk sounded like he wanted to hit him.

With the volume of business that eBay, Amazon, Ubid, and others generate, cmon...the other thing is that post office staff are always griping about "union this, union that."

Fine, get rid of the "union" and stop telling me, the customer about it!

:lol: I was online with the helpdesk at work with a problem. My boss chimed in saying he couldn't get online so we started asking him questions and finally he said he forgot to plug in the cable. :cuckoo:

The guy at the helpdesk sounded like he wanted to hit him.

I find that nine times out of ten, it's always something that's unplugged. The simplest solution often is. :lol:

agree with the five day service...saturday mail is nearly all unnecessary...

and what about their egregious amount of federal holidays...cut one holiday

this situation is a prime example of why the government should not run anything, amtrak...usps...

name a few things that the government runs that it makes money on...
The 5 day work week would really be beneficial for the Post office. But, I did hear that they wanted to eliminate Tuesday as a delivery day. That is what's know as "Postal Logic". They are famous for this kind of thinking. The union has a lock on the holidays...that would take an act of congress to eliminate some of them..... we're talking obama and "union"....
The person that knows how the mail is delivered is the best person to ask on ways to save money, and hours in the post office....that would be the carrier, or clerk. They are the ones that have no input at all.
There is way too much upper level management in the post office, I worked there for 30 years, and seen it all....there was a reason why the term "Going Postal" was coined. It was because of management, and "postal logic" working in harmony.

In this day and age, there really is no need for the United States Postal Service. The service is horrid. They have not broken even in a long long time. I vote that we allow them to fail!

Forum List

Back