NOW the USPS is going under. what in the heck is going on?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RightofCenter, Mar 25, 2009.

1. RightofCenter

RightofCenter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    One institution after another is falling over, dead. Sure smacks of poor management and poor social awareness of your surroundings, thats for sure!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090325/ap_on_go_ot/postal_woes

Shortened and LINKED to comply with board copyright rules. Please comply in the future so your posts don't need to be deleted. Thank you.

2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    that is what I was thinking.
    I was also thinking the other day about how they say people do not send letters anymore due to email which causes them profit loss. But don't they send quite a bit more bills in the mail than they used to? Also when I order stuff off the internet it always seems to come USPS.
    Maybe I am being an idiot and someone could explain to me how they loose so much money. And maybe it is just my family that gets the same amount of mail as they did ten fifteen years ago.

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Just within the past two months, I stopped receiving nearly all bills and banking statements via postal mail. I was sick of it having to shred it and ended up paying online anyways, so I switched the paper stuff out. If much can be done online, why not? It's a waste of paper anyway. I've also (finally!) stopped receiving as much junk mail -- catalogues and such. :D

The internet changed the way people bank, pay bills, purchase products, etc. Maybe the post office needs to revamp in order to keep up with the changing times. For starters, 5 days a week service seems like a good idea.

5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    you are probably right and I agree with the 5 day service.
    I also thought about it, my parents are older so they do not do so much on the internet when it comes to bills plus my mom runs a business out of their home.
    But on that note there are still flippin lines every time you go to the post office.

6. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    agree with the five day service...saturday mail is nearly all unnecessary...

and what about their egregious amount of federal holidays...cut one holiday

this situation is a prime example of why the government should not run anything, amtrak...usps...

name a few things that the government runs that it makes money on...

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130

My parents have never even touched a computer! My dad (he's 85) marvels when he comes over and we browse around if he's looking for info on something. :lol: My mom doesn't even get that far. They'll still call and try to give me directions to a place and I'm like -- it's right at my fingertips. The whole world of computers puzzles them. I don't blame them; I just spent the whole morning trying to figure out why I couldn't get internet access.

8. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,039
    You didn't plug the cable in?

9. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Gaaaa!!!! :lol: I reset the modem, unplugged and plugged in, switch out cables, turned off modem and router, ran several diagnostics . . . you name it. Couldn't get the connection on the desktop, which means no connection for the laptop. I think the phone jack plug is the problem. Must have plugged and unplugged it half a dozen times. It doesn't 'click' into place. Finally disconnected the DSL filter and tried to connect; nope, then reconnected the filter and plugged it back into the phone jack yet again. Was dialing Verizon when the dang thing came up. Go figure.

10. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,039

:lol: I was online with the helpdesk at work with a problem. My boss chimed in saying he couldn't get online so we started asking him questions and finally he said he forgot to plug in the cable. :cuckoo:

The guy at the helpdesk sounded like he wanted to hit him.