Now it will begin

I heard yesterday on the news that 2,000 Mainers who are on extended unemployment benefits will be losing them because Maine's rate of unemployment went down.

Not because they've used up that 99 weeks, but because in Maine the rate of unemployment went down to the point that the extentions are no longer in effect.

Happy news for Maine, I suppose, except for those 2,000 families facing a Christmas with no unemplyment benefits and no jobs, of course.

Last edited:
  • Banned
It's a great state you live in. I hope the unemployed folks have plenty of firewood stored up.
Hunting season is almost here so the tough should do fine.
The "murkinz" will freeze to death.
Thankfully, your state still has a lot of Americans.

I'm sure the reverberation, from John Boner's 2nd Annual "WE'RE Still Employed; What's YOUR Problem??" celebration (thrown by the Party Of NO!!....for a SECOND year of doing absolutely NOTHING...and, STILL drawing a significant-check), will be reminder, enough, that unemployment-extensions have ended.

Boehner%20sings.jpg

It's a great state you live in. I hope the unemployed folks have plenty of firewood stored up.
Hunting season is almost here so the tough should do fine.
The "murkinz" will freeze to death.
Thankfully, your state still has a lot of Americans.

Maine -- it's pretty, it's safe and it's poor and it's Whiter than Wonderbread.

Hunting season started a few days ago.

As to firewood?

Although we are the most heavily forested state in the lower 48 (and porobably all 50 states!) Maine is the most heating oil dependent state in the Union.

Unless you own your own woodlot and you cut you own wood, burning wood really isn't all that economical.

Not to mention that it's a pain in the ass getting up in the middle of the might to stoke the woodstove.

• Banned
That depends on the type of stove and the type of wood.
At my place in Chile I can stoke the stove after supper and not need to touch it until the coffee is brewing in the morning.It's tied into the heating ducts.

So, you're saying the Stimulus was a waste of $850Billion and that the $1.3 Trillion Keynesian deficit did not create jobs either.

Color me shocked.

That depends on the type of stove and the type of wood.
At my place in Chile I can stoke the stove after supper and not need to touch it until the coffee is brewing in the morning.It's tied into the heating ducts.

A stove? you mean like for a heating up a cabin, right?

I'm talking about home heating wood fire furnaces.

I also know that most people bitch and moan about this problem every winter.

So many people I've known moved up here thinking they'd burn wood and be independent, and they do, too, for a while.

And then they realize that if they want to ever leave the house for a day or two they cannot.

That's when they start buying gas fired units or covert to oil or whatever.

And the other thing that happens is for those who buy their own wood?

When the price of oil goes up so does the price of a cord of wood.

Wood stoves, furnaces and fireplaces all very romatic and all, but honestly, most people cannot wait to get another heating system in place.

Forum List

Back