Nothing is free including healthcare

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by JimJones, Jun 17, 2009.

1. JimJones

JimJones Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Reports from the non-partisan CBO (Congressional Budget Office) released their preliminary cost estimates of the healthcare legislation, which was written by Ted Kennedy and not President Obama. The CBO finds that the Kennedy bill will cost $1.2Trillion dollars. The CBO is saying that as many as 10 Million people will lose their private healthcare coverage, so the total amount covered in this bill is 16 million people. There are currently 46 Million people that don’t have coverage. I’m sure you can do the math to add up how much it would cost to add everyone on to this plan.

The CBO was only reviewing title 1 of the bill. What’s missing is the administrative cost that the federal government will have to run this type of system. Also, missing is the cost for the IT infrastructure to house all of our healthcare records. CBO also hasn’t finished modeling all the provisions, which means these numbers fall very short of what the reality really is.

Since when are American’s entitled to anything more then life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Obama believes, as well as many others in our government that all American’s are “entitled” to healthcare. The American people are in need of affordable healthcare, but as many of us have learned over the years, nothing is free.

Joe the plumber confronted Obama about spreading the wealth. Now with healthcare, Obama is attempting to spread the wealth of coverage from those who have, to those who have not. It is estimated that about 46 Million people living in the U.S. do not have any type of healthcare coverage. Out of the 46 Million, how many of them are illegal aliens? My guess would be close to 17 Million. Are you prepared to down grade your coverage and pay for illegal’s that aren’t even suppose to be here? That’s right, I said down grade. The Kennedy bill promotes the removal of your healthcare tax deduction to help increase tax revenues. Is you’re employer going to afford to pick up the difference? Most likely not! Most American’s live paycheck to paycheck and will be forced to drop some part of their healthcare policies to afford their coverage. If they can’t afford their coverage, they can switch over to the government run national coverage. The problem here is that many will have no choice but to switch over do to cost, which will eventually drive the current insurance companies out of business. The private companies won’t be able to compete with the government on the same price-point level. After all, the insurance companies can’t print money like the Federal Reserve Bank.

Let’s talk about those American that would rather not work and stay home doing hard drugs such as crack and heroin. We already indirectly give these people money. It’s done through food stamps, section 8 housing, and treatment centers to name a few. How can we be expected to hand over our hard earned tax dollars to someone that won’t even try to help themselves? After all said and done, what’s left is probably 10 Million American’s that actually do need help.

We keep hearing the cost of Information Technology housing our medical records in a centralized location will provide mass savings. Well if you take the up front cost of all the servers needed, consulting hours to build such a software application, not including the implementation cost, we are looking at Billions of dollars that will have to be spent up front. Add this cost to the few Trillion dollars to insure and you have a mound of debt we can’t recover from. The sad thing is I didn’t even mention the cost of the security of the software and network infrastructure. Hackers got into both Obama and McCain’s laptops during the campaign. How will they be stopped from taking our medical records and selling them as lists on the online marketplace? What, my mistake, Obama just added a new internet Czar.

What funny about all this IT stuff and why we need it has nothing to do with savings or better care. It has everything to do with control. Some of you might already know that it’s already a common practice in most medical companies to transmit claims to the insurance companies for payment via the internet.

We currently borrow exactly .46 cents of every dollar spent this year. We are already obligated to $5.0 Trillion dollars of interest payments over the next 5 years. How can we afford to make these changes on a healthcare plan that is being rushed through the system, a plan that is unproven, and government controlled? I think we all know that anything that our government touches turns to crap. Are you prepared to put your life in the hands of a Politian? I’m not!

-JimJones
    www.BorderlineIQ.com
    Jim Jones (BorderlineIQ) on Twitter

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218

3. JimJones

JimJones Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16

4. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Who pays the bill when a drug addict, illegal, bum, uninsured of any type goes into the emergency room now?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I sincerely believe that the reliance on 'insurance' for every ailment-no matter how small, has driven up the cost of health care. Also malpractice insurance, due to out of control 'pain & suffering' payments where a whole family benefits off the suffering of one and the deep pockets of insurance and doctors.

There should be caps on 'p & s' and insurance should be limited to hospitalization costs. If people have to pay out of pocket, physicians once again could limit tests to only those necessary. They would have much more time and fewer employees if not for all the forms/documentation required by the insurance companies. Costs for lab work would diminish, as demand for unnecessary tests would stop. People would stop asking for the most heavily advertised of the day.

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Average for all workers $399.86

Average for all workers $309.03

100 employees Average for all workers $326.95

The government employees medical insurance cost on an average cost tax payers $90.00 more per month according to these surveys conducted by The United States Labor Department.

We have approximately 21 million government employees in the US as of 2008. You can all do the math.

7. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    That quite simply is due to the fact that the government employee plans are far too generous. While private employers continue to try reducing their costs by purchasing policies with higher deductibles and more out of pocket expense to the employee, the insurance for government employees has kept deductibles much lower.

8. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Nothing is free including healthcare [/B

Neo cons take us to war like it's free.

Single payer isn't free but it's just.

If you claim to be a christian you had better get right with the concept of healing.

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Makes sense that would account for the cost difference. Although the tables reflect employee expenses for coverage. I'm looking for the medicaid and medicare statistics. I found one for 2006 that has 36 million on medicaid and medicare. If that is correct we have at least 57 million people covered with medical care of some type by taxpayers already.

I'm also looking for a cost on building small hospital clinics? I've said this already once on here, Rod received excellent care at the VA hospital here. I know others have had problems but in Des Moines they had an excellent care program when he went there.

If the taxpayer is already paying for this many people it would make sense for the government to help build actual not for profit health clinics throughout the country and integrate the people that are not covered into that system via a single payer program that is affordable. They could allow employers to participate in the same program at will.

10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    1.5 million in nursing homes in 2004. 2006 breakdown http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nnhsd/nursinghomefacilities2006.pdf

Emergency Department Visit Data

HHS.gov Research, statistics, data and systems

Charts download; Medicare & Medicaid Statistical Supplement

Highlights from 21 pages;