Not understanding the rejection of God...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I am not a religious man. I haven't been to church in about 20 years. I don't remember the last time I prayed. God is not a part of my life in any real sense.
But I do not reject God. I find no contempt when I see a religious symbol. I do not run in horror if someone says "bless you" when I sneeze.
I do not understand the Theophobia of the left, in which they believe they are somehow violated when anything religious is anywhere near them.
Why?

I know quite a few people like that. I think the reason they want to reject God is because if there is no God, there is no higher authority. If their rejection were just about thinking that there's no reason to believe in God then they'd just choose not to believe and that would be that but they don't want others to believe either because you can't convince people that you're the authority if they believe in something higher than you.

Most people I know on the left don't reject God but the one's who do get a lot of attention and it's a losing strategy for them.

I am not a religious man. I haven't been to church in about 20 years. I don't remember the last time I prayed. God is not a part of my life in any real sense.
But I do not reject God. I find no contempt when I see a religious symbol. I do not run in horror if someone says "bless you" when I sneeze.
I do not understand the Theophobia of the left, in which they believe they are somehow violated when anything religious is anywhere near them.
Why?

People have a conscience and God is the antithesis (direct contrast or opposition) to their sins. Lakeview is right because they don't want a higher authority or people telling them of right and wrong.

God kicked man out of the garden and it is estrangement or enmity because God gave us the curse and man gave us sin so we have this "enmity" or hatred for one another.

Some Christians still haven't gotten rid of their enmity for God because when I teach or preach from the Bible, I get opposition to what is on the page of the Bible.

When Adam broke God's law, you essentially had two wills. The will of God and the will of Satan. I tried to narrow down the definition of sin but I sometimes come up with a will that is apart from the will of God. Hence the problem.

2 Corinthians 2:16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

I saw a woman walk into class smiling and an angry man said, "Why are you smiling? You shouldn't be smiling." It is saying that we have life and you have not.

Last edited:
Why?

Pretty much my frame of mind also. The current Atheists are going further than simply separating Church and State with the insistence that the word God be removed from everything. While they complain of those pushing their faith they in turn push their views of a godless world upon others. Atheism by definition is still a "belief" system, as no one can prove or disprove the existence of a higher power. The Atheist movement likes to tout science as their proof but fail to understand that most scientists still hold some type of religious views. Based on the nature of the universe, this deity would probably be sporting a lab coat.

Why?

There is no ‘theophobia’ of ‘the left,’ as there are those on the right who are free from faith and those on ‘the left’ who are devout theists.

And no one is ‘rejecting god,’ one can’t ‘reject’ something that never existed to begin with.

What you’re incorrectly perceiving as ‘rejecting god’ is in fact an appropriate response to those who seek to codify their religious doctrine and dogma into secular laws all must abide, even those free from faith.

But no one free from faith has ‘contempt’ for religious symbols nor is he ‘horrified’ with religious references; he will appropriately and correctly object to the arrogance exhibited by many religious persons who attempt to foist their beliefs on others clearly not interested in their faith.

There is no ‘theophobia’ of ‘the left,’ as there are those on the right who are free from faith and those on ‘the left’ who are devout theists.

And no one is ‘rejecting god,’ one can’t ‘reject’ something that never existed to begin with.

What you’re incorrectly perceiving as ‘rejecting god’ is in fact an appropriate response to those who seek to codify their religious doctrine and dogma into secular laws all must abide, even those free from faith.

But no one free from faith has ‘contempt’ for religious symbols nor is he ‘horrified’ with religious references; he will appropriately and correctly object to the arrogance exhibited by many religious persons who attempt to foist their beliefs on others clearly not interested in their faith.

It seems to me that in your attempt to show that there is no theophobia you've just described theophobia and helped to make the OP's point. In order for me to believe that some people are acting appropriately and objectively I'd have to have some evidence that they are in fact being forced to accept faith and in this country I just don't see that.

We don't live in a theocracy and the belief that we might someday soon seems a little bit irrational to me.

Why?

I do not understand the Theophobia of the left ...

does that mean JC was a RightWinger ... project much ?

I am an athiest. I do not get offended by reading "In God we trust" on our coins. I don't care if Ike put "under God" in the Pledge of Allegence to the Flag (which I consider silly even before he did that). I can even walk past nutty street preachers shouting that "The end is near", without doing anything other than rolling my eyes.

On the other hand, When someone wants to pass laws under which I would have to live, based on their religious convictions, They will have my attention, and it will be negative. I don't reject God, because God does not exist. I regect religious people who want to control my life, based on their own agenda.

Last edited:
I do not understand the rejection of God by anyone, iamwhatiseem.... because truly He has only poured out his goodness to all upon the earth- upon the just and the unjust - and they have nothing to reject him over! If God is Love, how does one reject that? Who would reject Love for Hate? Does that make any sense at all? Who says, Sorry! I do not choose Love! I choose Hate! I'd rather hate people than love them! If this is not insanity than one must at least admit it is a case of moral insanity. Because truly the only thing God has done from the very beginning is to give us all good things and desire to have a relationship with us. I don't see the crime in that.

Where is the gratitude to God for His decision to grant us our birthplace in America? We could have been placed in the womb of a North Korean and be working in a slave labor camp right now - seriously. Where is the gratitude to God for having good health and enjoying this blessing of prosperity in our lives? Maybe some need to take a trip to a cancer center for a day and see the other side of that picture. Where is the gratitude for our children whom He has given us as a gift according to scripture? Children are a gift from God! Who says thank you! I love my gift! ?

What we have here is a sense of entitlement that says, I deserve these things, I shall never have a bad day and I make my own happiness. All lies.

What I see is the god of this world has blinded the eyes of some and they simply cannot see the truth. Therein they have rejected God and dismissed Him as if He were a mere accessory. On the other hand some reject God only in certain company. It is as if Christ were a garment to put on one day and not the next - depending on where they are going. Are these ones any better off than the self avowed atheist? Not at all.. that is just another form of rejecting God.. denying Him in the presence of men.

I am glad to see you are among those who have chosen to speak up by posing this question to the board. In making it clear as you say that you do not reject God. I do imagine He is seated on his Throne listening to you today and that the very question you pose has moved His heart with delight. On that note... God bless you, iamwhatiseem! Even when you are not sneezing.

Jeri

Last edited:
I am an athiest. I do not get offended by reading "In God we trust" on our coins. I don't care if Ike put "under God" in the Pledge of Allegence to the Flag (which I consider silly even before he did that). I can even walk past nutty street preachers shouting that "The end is near", without doing anything other than rolling my eyes.

On the other hand, When someone wants to pass laws under which I would have to live, based on their religious convictions, They will have my attention, and it will be negative. I don't reject God, because God does not exist. I regect religious people who want to control my life, based on their own agenda.

I do not believe ones religion should ever be forced on another person through the making of laws. This is the atithesis of christianity, Vandal. You cannot force someone to love God. You cannot pay someone to Love God, therein buying their commitment to serve him. If one could buy love it would be utterly despised. How much more so by making a law forcing one into loving God?

These people that rebuke God are the same as those that do not. They are still humans and exhibit human traits.

Not so. Only a fool would rebuke God Almighty. Who in their right mind would do such a thing? Only the morally insane. We are not all morally insane, Moonglow. Speak for yourself.

Thanks.

- Jeri

These people that rebuke God are the same as those that do not. They are still humans and exhibit human traits.

Not so. Only a fool would rebuke God Almighty. Who in their right mind would do such a thing? Only the morally insane. We are not all morally insane, Moonglow. Speak for yourself.
I do not believe ones religion should ever be forced on another person through the making of laws. This is the atithesis of christianity, Vandal. You cannot force someone to love God. You cannot pay someone to Love God, therein buying their commitment to serve him. If one could buy love it would be utterly despised. How much more so by making a law forcing one into loving God?

God has done from the very beginning is to give us all good things and desire to have a relationship with us. I don't see the crime in that

All went down hill after the Original Sin.

Thanks.

- Jeri

I cannot believe that there is any being in this universe who has created a human soul for eternal pain. I would rather that every god would destroy himself; I would rather that we all should go to eternal chaos, to black and starless night, than that just one soul should suffer eternal agony.

Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-99):

It is called Moral Government Theology:

Last edited by a moderator:

Prove it!
And one can’t ‘prove’ the nonexistence of something that never existed to begin with.

There was a time when humans were free from religion. In fact, most of human existence was an existence free from faith. Humans subsequently invented religion as a consequence of man’s being aware of his own mortality – religion is in essence a manifestation of the fear of death.

The earliest religions were devoid of deities; at the advent of civilization deities were developed as a form of social and political control, and later a single deity was introduced to further consolidate social and political control by the state.

But all that constitutes religion, every faith and denomination, is the creation of man, and consequently there is no ‘god’ as perceived to be an omnipotent entity.

Pity a significant number of your fellow Christians don’t believe this.

Prove it!

There was a time when humans were free from religion. In fact, most of human existence was an existence free from faith.

I cannot accept that statement, as all civilizations I know of have had their Gods, and before that, tribes in Africa had witch doctors that told them there were Gods everywhere.

Just when could there have been any time free of faith?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back