Not Reusing The Reusable Bags

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
Using paper bags hurts the environment.

Using plastic bags hurts the environment.

Now, not only do reusable bags have a higher carbon footprint, but, people aren't even reusing them. And, it's actually not sanitary to bring a reusable bag covered in germs back into the grocery store.

In any event, John Kerry came up with a brilliant solution for all of it the other day. Just quit farming and making food.

We need degradable plastic bags, this isn't difficult. They use to hwve them before, but they are thinner and probably have a shelf life.
They have made corn based bags that resemble plastic one-time use bags, but for some reason they are not promoting them. I am still a believer in paper. They are biodegradable, they are recyclable, and they can be made from waste material.

I reuse all of my bags, plastic and paper.

I freeze my garbage in paper bags. I set it out on trash day only so it doesn't rot in the dumpster and draw flies. I also use them for 'spit bags' (as they're called here) for tissues. When full I burn them in the fireplace. I use both small and large plastic bags as liners for wastebaskets.

I also reuse those paper grocery bags with handles for shopping. I double the bags and reinforce the handles and bottom with packaging tape.

They have made corn based bags that resemble plastic one-time use bags, but for some reason they are not promoting them. I am still a believer in paper. They are biodegradable, they are recyclable, and they can be made from waste material.
Plus paper is a sustainable option using properly managed forests, and provided mill jobs.

Before we became an idiot state, that whole industry was booming AND we were still an 'Evergreen' state

Plus paper is a sustainable option using properly managed forests, and provided mill jobs.

Before we became an idiot state, that whole industry was booming AND we were still an 'Evergreen' state
The reusable bags are a good answer to the waste problem and I'm pretty sure C.A. is living in Canada now anyway.

The reusable bags are a good answer to the waste problem and I'm pretty sure C.A. is living in Canada now anyway.

Those plastic reusables are not a good answer to anything as most people don't reuse them and still end up in landfills or the ocean.

And that one time use plastic bag ban didn't include the meat and produce bags, which is pretty stupid to only ban one type, but not the other.

The best reusables are cloth, They are more sturdy for heavier items, can be washed/disinfected and you can even make your own with some old jeans or other materials, needle and thread. It's not that hard. And are less likely to be tossed, but even if they are, they are also biodegradable........same with paper.

Those plastic reusables are not a good answer to anything as most people don't reuse them and still end up in landfills or the ocean.
They are reused in Canada.
And that one time use plastic bag ban didn't include the meat and produce bags, which is pretty stupid to only ban one type, but not the other.
Partial measures aren't stupid.
The best reusables are cloth, They are more sturdy for heavier items, can be washed/disinfected and you can even make your own with some old jeans or other materials, needle and thread. It's not that hard. And are less likely to be tossed, but even if they are, they are also biodegradable........same with paper.
Cost effectiveness of cloth is an issue. Very few will find it practical to make their own. American attitudes differ from other countries.

Forum List

Back