Not going to happen

What Mrs May wants in her heart of hearts is for the negotiations to prove so grisly that she has to go back to Parliament and state that the outcome cant be contemplated and that we need to vote again on it. That could mean a new referendum or even an election.

Not likely to happen, I think. Brexit means Brexit and Brussels won’t make a mistake allowing Britain to stay in after the vote. What for? To have a member that constantly complains and wants a special status? No, unlikely. Their main goal is to prevent the EU’s disintegration after Brexit. Thus, a deal with Britain where London will be seemed as a winner isn’t in their interests. I think that Britain will get something like Norway has with some amendments in Britain’s favour.

The referendum was not actually binding on the government.

Then what was the point?

It sounds to me like I can take comfort in the knowledge that Americans do not entirely have the market on stupidity cornered.
The government didnt want a referendum. It was held as a sop to keep the right wing of the tory party happy.

No steps were taken to prepare for a brexit vote. The new PM was a remainer and would just rather be rid of the whole mess.

They cant outright ignore the result as that would be a betrayal of the process.

However there is nothing to stop them going back for a vote to agree on the negotiated terms. In fact there is,in my view, an obligation to do so.

There are several hurdles for Brexit to jump yet.

Firstly parliament is the body that has to trigger brexit and not the government or the referendum.
The majority of MPs are remainers so they can control the process.

Secondly there is the Scottish issue. Scotland voted to remain. Mrs Sturgeon believes it gives her some sort of veto on brexit.

Its a mess. The government is looking at a brexit and losing Scotland or keeping Scotland and losing brexit. They dont want to lose Scotland because the queen wouldbe miffed.

What Mrs May wants in her heart of hearts is for the negotiations to prove so grisly that she has to go back to Parliament and state that the outcome cant be contemplated and that we need to vote again on it. That could mean a new referendum or even an election.

They cant outright ignore the result as that would be a betrayal of the process.

At this point anything other than the fulfillment of the results should be viewed as a betrayal of the process.

People voted on a set of promises. If those promises are seen to be false then they should be given the opportunity to ratify this or not.

It cuts both ways, if they can cut a wonder deal then remainers would back it.The margin of people voting out will grow and the country would become more unified.
Everyone is a winner.
How can ignorance be an excuse? Was there not a public debate about the consequences of the vote before the vote took place?

Why even have a representative democracy? The people were offered the chance to give their positions via a vote, now the representatives are supposed to act on those wishes. Isn't it in the representatives best interests to secure a prosperous deal for their constituency? Would you prefer a direct democracy as opposed to one of representation, or is your desire for a another vote just out of convenience?
Are you suggesting that this is done regardless of the consequences ? That would be reckless.
Since the referendum the brexit case has unravelled. They arent going to kick anyone out. That was a key part of their plan. Now its not going to happen.
They were going to give the money "saved" to the NHS. That isnt going to happen either.
Money for the regions was supposedly ringfenced, and now we find that it isnt. Scotland will be £6bn worse off.
The landscape has changed considerably,primarily because the brexit case was a pack of lies.
People should be given the chance to reconsider.

Arent you forgetting that these were your LIES and they were debunked when you could not give any links. Then you tried to say the referendum was illegal when you could not have a mulligan. Now you are trying even more LIES and failing.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN RIGHT ON THE UK's EXIT FROM EUROPE

Next you will complain that it has made the nation too healthy and ripe for a take over.

Not likely to happen, I think. Brexit means Brexit and Brussels won’t make a mistake allowing Britain to stay in after the vote. What for? To have a member that constantly complains and wants a special status? No, unlikely. Their main goal is to prevent the EU’s disintegration after Brexit. Thus, a deal with Britain where London will be seemed as a winner isn’t in their interests. I think that Britain will get something like Norway has with some amendments in Britain’s favour.

You mean like France and Germany have, that means they are savvy to any new laws in the offing months before any other members and can change their rules to suit ?

You mean like France and Germany have, that means they are savvy to any new laws in the offing months before any other members and can change their rules to suit ?

I don’t understand the question. Could you elaborate?

The rulers of the EU know about any new restrictive laws 6 months before any one else so can take steps to bring in local laws to combat the EU ones. This means they have an unfair advantage over the rest of the nations

The rulers of the EU know about any new restrictive laws 6 months before any one else so can take steps to bring in local laws to combat the EU ones. This means they have an unfair advantage over the rest of the nations

And? I still don’t understand what this has to do with those I wrote in my post.

Brexit doesn't mean Brexit, the referendum was non binding and can be ignored, although clearly at a political cost to whoever does so. The problem is that the EU doesn't have to negotiate anything to favour the UK; if anything the EU might "make an example" out of the UK, to discourage other countries from following suit.

Brexit doesn't mean Brexit, the referendum was non binding and can be ignored, although clearly at a political cost to whoever does so. The problem is that the EU doesn't have to negotiate anything to favour the UK; if anything the EU might "make an example" out of the UK, to discourage other countries from following suit.
Apparently the remainers have a majority in the commons.

I dont think there will be a big bang. It will slowly become apparent that it isnt going to happen and those who voted brexit will be secretly relieved that it isnt going to happen.

I dont think there will be a big bang. It will slowly become apparent that it isnt going to happen and those who voted brexit will be secretly relieved that it isnt going to happen.

I think you might be right, but the political backlash from the Little Englanders and fascist elements like the EDF and Britain First is something no right of centre polititian can ignore. Either way they are damned if they don't and damned if they do. I blame that idiot Cameron for getting us into this mess in the first place.

I think you might be right, but the political backlash from the Little Englanders and fascist elements like the EDF and Britain First is something no right of centre polititian can ignore. Either way they are damned if they don't and damned if they do. I blame that idiot Cameron for getting us into this mess in the first place.
I think if she can string it out till the next election the situation will become a lot clearer and it gets her off the hook to a certain extent.
Its possible that by then there will be two labour parties and she might be able to chance being unpopular.

And end up shooting itself in the foot if it did. It would be the first to cry if it was forced to pay the same levee's on its exports out of the EU.

Right up until the EU forces Scotland to become a Nuclear power station for the rest of Europe, and Wales to be the open prison for EU petty criminals.

Right, the British government isn’t legally obliged to do something after the vote. But not-doing isn’t the best solution, I think. There are several reasons of it: it will provoke some political turmoil in Britain (it is the least reason); Britain will no longer be able to demand a special status inside the EU (because their main threat – Brexit – will turn out to be bluff); and the most important reason – some doubtful developments inside the EU. Frankly, I don’t think that transforming the EU into super-federation is a good idea. Actually, it is a very bad idea, I think. And I understand Brexiters in their unwillingness to participate in it.

Considering this, the government should proceed with Brexit and I think it will do so. The most interesting things are what we will see in a final agreement. I think that Britain will preserve a free access to the EU market, but it will have to pay contributions to the EU budget and abide by the principle of free movement of people inside the EU. But again, it is unclear what the scopes of all of that will be.

Right, the British government isn’t legally obliged to do something after the vote. But not-doing isn’t the best solution, I think. There are several reasons of it: it will provoke some political turmoil in Britain (it is the least reason); Britain will no longer be able to demand a special status inside the EU (because their main threat – Brexit – will turn out to be bluff); and the most important reason – some doubtful developments inside the EU. Frankly, I don’t think that transforming the EU into super-federation is a good idea. Actually, it is a very bad idea, I think. And I understand Brexiters in their unwillingness to participate in it.

Considering this, the government should proceed with Brexit and I think it will do so. The most interesting things are what we will see in a final agreement. I think that Britain will preserve a free access to the EU market, but it will have to pay contributions to the EU budget and abide by the principle of free movement of people inside the EU. But again, it is unclear what the scopes of all of that will be.

Absolutely. All we will end up with is what we have already, more or less, but with no say on how the EU develops.

Its very rare that a lie so blatant is shown up so quickly. Add this to the "Aussie style points system" and what did people vote for ?

upload_2016-9-11_10-12-29.jpeg

Brexit camp abandons £350m-a-week NHS funding pledge

Its very rare that a lie so blatant is shown up so quickly. Add this to the "Aussie style points system" and what did people vote for ?

View attachment 89032

Brexit camp abandons £350m-a-week NHS funding pledge

to get out of the control of you neo marxists that are ruining what could have been the best thing since sliced bread. Now it looks like Germany will have to find another 4.8 billion Euro's to help plug the gap caused by Britian's exit. No wonder they are pissed and want to teach us a lesson. Then there is the other nations wanting to leave because they have seen the light, and know that it was just another failed commie experiment.

to get out of the control of you neo marxists that are ruining what could have been the best thing since sliced bread.

Ah yes, those "Victorian values" so much beloved of the political right, child labour, universal poverty except for the privaleged few, no holidays, no health care unless you pay through the nose, in fact nothing unless you pay through the nose for it. Damn those pesky socialists that wanted a better life for all, not just the silver spoon brigade.

to get out of the control of you neo marxists that are ruining what could have been the best thing since sliced bread.

Ah yes, those "Victorian values" so much beloved of the political right, child labour, universal poverty except for the privaleged few, no holidays, no health care unless you pay through the nose, in fact nothing unless you pay through the nose for it. Damn those pesky socialists that wanted a better life for all, not just the silver spoon brigade.

And made worse by the neo marxists that took them all away and made the people slaves to the state. We saw this in Russia, Cambodia, China and Korea didnt we.

Forum List

Back