Not going to happen

...and here I thought the UK was a democracy.

The UK is not a democracy. What made you think that?
Then why allow the people to vote?

Citizens are allowed to vote in representative republics and constitutional monarchies.
The referendum was direct democracy.
The referendum was not actually binding on the government.
I think that they would be foolish to ignore the result and I do not think that they will.

What will happen is that, as the negotiations progress , the stupidity of the vote will emerge and they will come back to the people again for confirmation.

The whole basis of the brexit case has now collapsed and been seen to be a pack of lies. It cant go through on this basis.

Then what was the point?

It sounds to me like I can take comfort in the knowledge that Americans do not entirely have the market on stupidity cornered.

The UK is not a democracy. What made you think that?

Citizens are allowed to vote in representative republics and constitutional monarchies.
I think that they would be foolish to ignore the result and I do not think that they will.

What will happen is that, as the negotiations progress , the stupidity of the vote will emerge and they will come back to the people again for confirmation.

The whole basis of the brexit case has now collapsed and been seen to be a pack of lies. It cant go through on this basis.

Then what was the point?

It sounds to me like I can take comfort in the knowledge that Americans do not entirely have the market on stupidity cornered.
The government didnt want a referendum. It was held as a sop to keep the right wing of the tory party happy.

No steps were taken to prepare for a brexit vote. The new PM was a remainer and would just rather be rid of the whole mess.

They cant outright ignore the result as that would be a betrayal of the process.

However there is nothing to stop them going back for a vote to agree on the negotiated terms. In fact there is,in my view, an obligation to do so.

There are several hurdles for Brexit to jump yet.

Firstly parliament is the body that has to trigger brexit and not the government or the referendum.
The majority of MPs are remainers so they can control the process.

Secondly there is the Scottish issue. Scotland voted to remain. Mrs Sturgeon believes it gives her some sort of veto on brexit.

Its a mess. The government is looking at a brexit and losing Scotland or keeping Scotland and losing brexit. They dont want to lose Scotland because the queen wouldbe miffed.

What Mrs May wants in her heart of hearts is for the negotiations to prove so grisly that she has to go back to Parliament and state that the outcome cant be contemplated and that we need to vote again on it. That could mean a new referendum or even an election.

Then what was the point?

The government didnt want a referendum. It was held as a sop to keep the right wing of the tory party happy.

No steps were taken to prepare for a brexit vote. The new PM was a remainer and would just rather be rid of the whole mess.

They cant outright ignore the result as that would be a betrayal of the process.

However there is nothing to stop them going back for a vote to agree on the negotiated terms. In fact there is,in my view, an obligation to do so.

Firstly parliament is the body that has to trigger brexit and not the government or the referendum.

Secondly there is the Scottish issue. Scotland voted to remain. Mrs Sturgeon believes it gives her some sort of veto on brexit.

Its a mess. The government is looking at a brexit and losing Scotland or keeping Scotland and losing brexit. They dont want to lose Scotland because the queen wouldbe miffed.

What Mrs May wants in her heart of hearts is for the negotiations to prove so grisly that she has to go back to Parliament and state that the outcome cant be contemplated and that we need to vote again on it. That could mean a new referendum or even an election.

At this point anything other than the fulfillment of the results should be viewed as a betrayal of the process.

It is looking increasingly likely that Brexit will never happen

“They say they don’t even know the right questions to ask when they finally begin bargaining with Europe,”

Why does the UK have to bargain with Europe? The English Channel separates England from Europe. The English still use the Pound and not the Euro. Two different peoples.

Well, to answer your question, the UK wants to bargain with the EU to maintain free access to the EU market of 450 or so million people. As you imply, it may only be the English (and Welsh) that will need to bargain as the Scots will probably hightail it and the Northern Irish will merge with the Republic. Or, are you a dummy and are confusing England with the UK?

And which magic bean told you this. We just want to be allowed to police our borders and set our own laws. If the EU sets obstacles in the way of trade then they will find the same obstacles impeding their trade with the UK. We are already in talks with India, US, Russia, China etc. that could open up massive markets for our goods.

As for your claims can the Irish and Scots afford the split like that, they would find themselves bereft of everything from jobs to homes when Britain claims what is theirs legally.

Then what was the point?

Being part of the UK their vote went into the pot, it was not counted seperately, and the margin was very close. Scotland cant decide for itself as they signed a treaty giving sovereignty to the British parliament. It would cost them more than they have to go against that treaty. I would advise you and Sturgeon to read it carefully

Then what was the point?

At this point anything other than the fulfillment of the results should be viewed as a betrayal of the process.

People voted on a set of promises. If those promises are seen to be false then they should be given the opportunity to ratify this or not.

It cuts both ways, if they can cut a wonder deal then remainers would back it.The margin of people voting out will grow and the country would become more unified.
Everyone is a winner.

Poor Tommy-girl, still at home scared in his basement sitting in a puddle of his own piss at the thought of not being in the EU.

Then what was the point?

The ref was promised to keep UKIP from taking seats from the conservatives. If they go back UKIP will just gain seats and now Old Laboir voters are moving towards UKIP as well.

Then what was the point?

The ref was promised to keep UKIP from taking seats from the conservatives. If they go back UKIP will just gain seats and now Old Laboir voters are moving towards UKIP as well.
There are a lot of tories who should be in ukip. It wont happen now because ukip has peaked.

Then what was the point?

There are a lot of tories who should be in ukip. It wont happen now because ukip has peaked.

Not from what I keep reading but even if they have peaked .... If May messes around with not triggering article 50 it will just refuel UKIPpers and drive the party forward.

Seems Labour is in the biggest trouble right now but the conservatives could be headed that way as well. Leadsom should have been the PM and they would have avoided all this nonsense.

Then what was the point?

Not from what I keep reading but even if they have peaked .... If May messes around with not triggering article 50 it will just refuel UKIPpers and drive the party forward.

Seems Labour is in the biggest trouble right now but the conservatives could be headed that way as well. Leadsom should have been the PM and they would have avoided all this nonsense.
Labour is in transition. half a million members want Corbyn but 200 MPs dont. If they cant support a socialist manifesto they will be deselected. My guess is they will set up something on their own account.
Ukips backer was prevented from standing for leader and is hinting about setting up another party. Their leadership candidates are mediocrities and there is a huge amount of in fighting between factions.
There is an old tory faction who are relatively sensible and professional. And then there are the characters who drifted in from the BNP, National Front and so on. Both sides despise each other.

Then what was the point?

People voted on a set of promises. If those promises are seen to be false then they should be given the opportunity to ratify this or not.

It cuts both ways, if they can cut a wonder deal then remainers would back it.The margin of people voting out will grow and the country would become more unified.
Everyone is a winner.

COWFLOP if that was the case you would have welcomed the chance to leave in the first place. Even if the deal meant that you could keep going to Majorca 4 times a year without having a visa or passport you would still toe the neo marxist line

Then what was the point?

Labour is in transition. half a million members want Corbyn but 200 MPs dont. If they cant support a socialist manifesto they will be deselected. My guess is they will set up something on their own account.
Ukips backer was prevented from standing for leader and is hinting about setting up another party. Their leadership candidates are mediocrities and there is a huge amount of in fighting between factions.
There is an old tory faction who are relatively sensible and professional. And then there are the characters who drifted in from the BNP, National Front and so on. Both sides despise each other.

The labour supporters I speak to dont want Corbyn as he is an embarrassment, and he only got in because the Unions bought the votes

The labour supporters I speak to dont want Corbyn as he is an embarrassment, and he only got in because the Unions bought the votes
Oh dear. He got in because Labour members are sick of tory lite policies. I am not a labour member but even I can see the appeal.

Then what was the point?

Everyone is a winner.
How can ignorance be an excuse? Was there not a public debate about the consequences of the vote before the vote took place?

Why even have a representative democracy? The people were offered the chance to give their positions via a vote, now the representatives are supposed to act on those wishes. Isn't it in the representatives best interests to secure a prosperous deal for their constituency? Would you prefer a direct democracy as opposed to one of representation, or is your desire for a another vote just out of convenience?

Oh dear. He got in because Labour members are sick of tory lite policies. I am not a labour member but even I can see the appeal.

COWFLOP he was elected because the unions bought the votes using members money. that is why there is such a commotion over the new election that he and the unions know he will lose

Then what was the point?

Everyone is a winner.
How can ignorance be an excuse? Was there not a public debate about the consequences of the vote before the vote took place?

Why even have a representative democracy? The people were offered the chance to give their positions via a vote, now the representatives are supposed to act on those wishes. Isn't it in the representatives best interests to secure a prosperous deal for their constituency? Would you prefer a direct democracy as opposed to one of representation, or is your desire for a another vote just out of convenience?
Are you suggesting that this is done regardless of the consequences ? That would be reckless.
Since the referendum the brexit case has unravelled. They arent going to kick anyone out. That was a key part of their plan. Now its not going to happen.
They were going to give the money "saved" to the NHS. That isnt going to happen either.
Money for the regions was supposedly ringfenced, and now we find that it isnt. Scotland will be £6bn worse off.
The landscape has changed considerably,primarily because the brexit case was a pack of lies.
People should be given the chance to reconsider.

Then what was the point?

Everyone is a winner.

Are you suggesting that this is done regardless of the consequences ? That would be reckless.
Since the referendum the brexit case has unravelled. They arent going to kick anyone out. That was a key part of their plan. Now its not going to happen.
They were going to give the money "saved" to the NHS. That isnt going to happen either.
Money for the regions was supposedly ringfenced, and now we find that it isnt. Scotland will be £6bn worse off.
The landscape has changed considerably,primarily because the brexit case was a pack of lies.
People should be given the chance to reconsider.
Are you suggesting that this is done regardless of the consequences ?

I think elections have consequences.

I don't think there is any information that is new, that wasn't known prior to the vote. Whether that information was conveyed properly to the voters is a different matter and should probably be addressed separately.

Has there been a noticeable change of heart among the leave crowd?

Forum List

Back