Not Funny- That'll Cost You

What do you call Muhammed and allah? They truly hate homos.
Or are you afraid to say?

Yeah, but they aren't insisting we change OUR laws to reflect that.

Hey, guy, maybe instead of going into their part of the world, maybe we should just be worried about what is going on in our part of the world.
They only blow us up. No coercion in that, eh?

He told a joke that was in somewhat poor taste. He was fined $42,000. I say you don't punish someone for being irreverent. What say you?

"...comedian explained that the young boy suffering from Treacher Collins Syndrome became somewhat famous around Canada because he was dying. He sang for the pope in 2006 and later released an album. Each event, Ward said, received front-page coverage. Several years later, the boy hadn’t died and was writing a book.

And the joke became, ‘Why isn’t he dead yet?’ Like, he was supposed to die.."

continued here
Canadian Comedian Fined $42,000 for Tasteless Joke
The irony here????? Its not funny unless your there I guess...if anything the fine should be for being boring

We didn't blow anybody up first, you dupe.

Uh, yeah, we kind of did.

We supported the Zionists.
We supported the awful government like the Shah.
We carpet bombed Iraq.
We armed the Muhajadin in Afghanistan (who went on to become the Taliban and Al Qaeda).
We armed Saddam until he turned on us.

This notion that we were just minding our own business when those mean old Muslims came over and started messing with us is either ignorant or arrogant.

It's an unalienable right and protected by the Bill of Rights. If the government supports that then companies shouldnt be boycotted since they can't fire somebody for exercising their right. The public will have to hold the company blameless.

So by your logic, then, you can walk up to your boss and scream, "Your mother is a whore', and that should be protected by the first Amendment?

I can't see any business being able to operate like that.

clearly companies have to fire racists and homophobes because they create a hostile work environment. Period. Has nothing to do with the bill of rights.

Your boss would bust you in the chops. He'd get the biggest laugh of his life.

We didn't blow anybody up first, you dupe.

Uh, yeah, we kind of did.

We supported the Zionists.
We supported the awful government like the Shah.
We carpet bombed Iraq.
We armed the Muhajadin in Afghanistan (who went on to become the Taliban and Al Qaeda).
We armed Saddam until he turned on us.

This notion that we were just minding our own business when those mean old Muslims came over and started messing with us is either ignorant or arrogant.

You must hunger for the old days.

He told a joke that was in somewhat poor taste. He was fined $42,000. I say you don't punish someone for being irreverent. What say you?

"...comedian explained that the young boy suffering from Treacher Collins Syndrome became somewhat famous around Canada because he was dying. He sang for the pope in 2006 and later released an album. Each event, Ward said, received front-page coverage. Several years later, the boy hadn’t died and was writing a book.

And the joke became, ‘Why isn’t he dead yet?’ Like, he was supposed to die.."

continued here
Canadian Comedian Fined $42,000 for Tasteless Joke
This fails as both a false comparison fallacy and slippery slope fallacy.

The United States is a Constitutional Republic, Canada is a democracy; two different countries, two different legal systems – it’s a lie to claim that it’s “coming soon to the United States.”

Damn, their masters are brutal. It would happen here too if we let liberals have their way
Polticical correctness will usher in the end of Freedom of speech as it has in Canada who didn't have that safeguard in their constitution. People lose their jobs and any chance for a livelyhood just for making a comment some liberal wusses don't like. Shame on companies who panic over the pressure and relent to the PC police.

It's time counter lawsuits are filed against companies who bow to the pressure of these radicals.
Wrong.

Another ridiculous slippery slope fallacy and lie from the right.

Damn, their masters are brutal. It would happen here too if we let liberals have their way
Polticical correctness will usher in the end of Freedom of speech as it has in Canada who didn't have that safeguard in their constitution. People lose their jobs and any chance for a livelyhood just for making a comment some liberal wusses don't like. Shame on companies who panic over the pressure and relent to the PC police.

It's time counter lawsuits are filed against companies who bow to the pressure of these radicals.

"Panic" is the best way to put it. In many cases they receive very little attention, but the slightest mention of their "controversy" puts them in panic mode. That said, that is within their rights. It may be stupid but a private entity can fire whoever they want for whatever they want. A lawsuit would be a waste of time.
It's an unalienable right and protected by the Bill of Rights. If the government supports that then companies shouldnt be boycotted since they can't fire somebody for exercising their right. The public will have to hold the company blameless.
In the United States, not in Canada.

Otherwise this is ignorant nonsense.

The right to free speech and free expression concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons or private organizations.

If a network fires an on air personality because he says something bigoted or racist, there is no free speech ‘violation' on the part of the network.

Or if an on air personality says something bigoted or racist and is not fired, private citizens in the context of private society are at liberty to boycott the network to demand he be fired – again, in no way 'violating' free speech.

the funny thing is, we won't have free speech for much longer.

it's already under full assault in NY and on college campus

Colleges are private institution. It's not a free speech issue.

Just like I can't tell my boss he's a douchebag. Not a free speech issue.

Okay, let's step back and look at this case sensibly. This unfunny comedian did a bit where he said that a sick child was faking being sick for the money. This would be considered libel and slander in the US. In Canada, it falls under the Human Rights Commission that protects minorities and disabled from abuse.
jokes aren't abuse.

colleges accept public funds, many are fun by the states, so it's a valid issue

NY wants to fine people for not using the pronoun that another demands they use.

aside from that, they guys a dick
It’s not a ‘valid issue’ in the context of the lie conservatives attempt to propagate concerning ‘violations’ of ‘free speech.’

As is the case with other rights, the right to free speech is not ‘absolute,’ it is subject to reasonable restrictions by government.

Time, place, and manner restrictions, non-content-based restrictions, and various types of incidental restrictions have been upheld by the courts as Constitutional, as their intent is to address secondary effects of some manifestations of speech not designed to preempt or prohibit the content of speech.

Such lawful restrictions are often employed by colleges and universities, and appropriately so.

As for the New York ordinance concerning ‘pronouns,’ what New York wants to do and actually does are two different things, and is not a ‘violation’ of ‘free speech’ until a court rules it is.

The right’s inane myth about ‘political correctness’ and ‘violations’ of ‘free speech’ is as tedious as it is ignorant and ridiculous.

insulting people is part of free speech, yaknow, the First Amendment.

Using the force of government to force someone to speak a way they wouldn't is tyranny.

Okay, as long as they get to smash you in the mouth with no legal consequences, i'm good with it.
so you are against free speech, the Constitution and the law.

all leftist are like you, not one of you actually cares as long as you get what you want.

the funny thing is, we won't have free speech for much longer.

it's already under full assault in NY and on college campus

Colleges are private institution. It's not a free speech issue.

Just like I can't tell my boss he's a douchebag. Not a free speech issue.

Okay, let's step back and look at this case sensibly. This unfunny comedian did a bit where he said that a sick child was faking being sick for the money. This would be considered libel and slander in the US. In Canada, it falls under the Human Rights Commission that protects minorities and disabled from abuse.
jokes aren't abuse.

colleges accept public funds, many are fun by the states, so it's a valid issue

NY wants to fine people for not using the pronoun that another demands they use.

aside from that, they guys a dick
It’s not a ‘valid issue’ in the context of the lie conservatives attempt to propagate concerning ‘violations’ of ‘free speech.’

As is the case with other rights, the right to free speech is not ‘absolute,’ it is subject to reasonable restrictions by government.

Time, place, and manner restrictions, non-content-based restrictions, and various types of incidental restrictions have been upheld by the courts as Constitutional, as their intent is to address secondary effects of some manifestations of speech not designed to preempt or prohibit the content of speech.

Such lawful restrictions are often employed by colleges and universities, and appropriately so.

As for the New York ordinance concerning ‘pronouns,’ what New York wants to do and actually does are two different things, and is not a ‘violation’ of ‘free speech’ until a court rules it is.

The right’s inane myth about ‘political correctness’ and ‘violations’ of ‘free speech’ is as tedious as it is ignorant and ridiculous.

there is so much moronic stwpudditty on an epic level that I have to address each line;

It’s not a ‘valid issue’ in the context of the lie conservatives attempt to propagate concerning ‘violations’ of ‘free speech.’ Teaching the young that it's ok to force your will on people b/c you claim to be offended is idiotic and should not get tax money

As is the case with other rights, the right to free speech is not ‘absolute,’ it is subject to reasonable restrictions by government. This is the dumbest fucking line I have read in years. There is nothing reasonable about forcing me to speak in any fashion.

Such lawful restrictions are often employed by colleges and universities, and appropriately so. Leftist outlets are always given a pass, and the reasoning is clear.

As for the New York ordinance concerning ‘pronouns,’ what New York wants to do and actually does are two different things, and is not a ‘violation’ of ‘free speech’ until a court rules it is. This is the dumbest line I have read in seconds. The lack of free thought to even consider this is astounding. You are a very well trained lamb.

The right’s inane myth about ‘political correctness’ and ‘violations’ of ‘free speech’ is as tedious as it is ignorant and ridiculous. Your demand of pc and your violations of our freedoms are the most vile of all actions.

so you are against free speech, the Constitution and the law.

all leftist are like you, not one of you actually cares as long as you get what you want.

again, I'm not the one who is trying to make a hero out of some scumwad who is mocking a sick child.

that would be you guys.
I clearly said he was a dick, and then you supported tyranny.

Forum List

Back