Norwegian Air to offer U.S.-Europe fares starting at $65 one way

I've traveled to nearly every country in the world and NEVER had an issue.

I haven't been to anything like "every country in the world," but I have travelled to rural parts of the PRC (Xinjiang, apothecaries and a factory floor in Shenzhen, and a mountain village outside of Lanzhou), Czech Republic, Belize, Turkey, Indonesia, and Mexico and found myself in situations where nobody around spoke English and nothing was written in English.

I didn't have to go but a couple hours outside of Prague to be very thankful that I spoke a bit of French. In Ismir, it was a good thing I was traveling with friends who live there. In the PRC, my meager Mandarin, cell phone and English-Chinese dictionary allowed me to get by so long as there was a person around, but were I left to my own devices and having to read the Hanzi to make my way, well, I'd probably still be there.

As a tourist, or when doing things tourists might, and as part of an organized excursion, no, I've never had a problem. As indicated before, it's when one goes off the beaten path that one can have issues.

So you had to travel to the bowels of a country to find natives that don't speak English?

Run Forest, Run!

"Bowels?" I don't think I'd put it that way. In fact, I know I wouldn't because I didn't. What I wrote was:
Certainly getting along in tourist oriented places -- posh stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. -- is not a problem, but even in places like Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam or Luxembourg where nearly everyone speaks English to a reasonable degree, there's plenty one'll come by that isn't written in English.

I have travelled to rural parts of the PRC (Xinjiang, apothecaries and a factory floor in Shenzhen, and a mountain village outside of Lanzhou), Czech Republic, Belize, Turkey, Indonesia, and Mexico and found myself in situations where nobody around spoke English and nothing was written in English.

I didn't have to go but a couple hours outside of Prague to be very thankful that I spoke a bit of French. In Ismir, it was a good thing I was traveling with friends who live there. In the PRC, my meager Mandarin, cell phone and English-Chinese dictionary allowed me to get by so long as there was a person around, but were I left to my own devices and having to read the Hanzi to make my way, well, I'd probably still be there.

As a tourist, or when doing things tourists might, and as part of an organized excursion, no, I've never had a problem. As indicated before, it's when one goes off the beaten path that one can have issues.

I don't know if you've been to Shenzhen, but it's a city of about 10 million people and it's apothecaries and factory floors that I've been to there aren't in the "bowels" of anything. Izmir is something of a Turkish resort town on the Aegean, and going to a neighborhood bar was all I had to do to find myself in a room full of people who didn't speak English. Let's be real here. If not speaking Turkish were no problem, "bourbon and ginger" would not have gone uncomprehended by the bartender.

On my trip to Indonesia, I had no issues in Jakarta or Bali. When we sojourned to Irian Jaya, I and my Indonesian friends were quite happy to have a guides who spoke the tribal language. That trip took me into the bowels of the island, but we were doing what tourists do, which is to say traveling with a guide. In the Latinate countries I noted, going to a poor neighborhood in the middle of the city will easily put one amidst thralls of non-English speakers. There again, off the beaten path, but bowels, no.

Cheap flights aren't catching on....the CAUGHT on; big time:

Norwegian Air sells over 5,000 seats after Ireland-US flights

Norwegian Air International said it sold more than 5,000 flights within hours of announcing services to the US from Irish airports on Thursday.

The airline will fly 24 times a week from Belfast, Cork, Dublin and Shannon to the northeastern US from July to October, when it will cut the frequency of its services for winter.

A spokesman said that it sold more than 5,000 flights within six hours of announcing details of flights from the Republic’s three State-owned airports at 11am on Thursday. “We think that it was our fastest launch sale ever,” he added.

Forum List

Back