Northeast Passage

11.09.2014 en - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises

Press Release 11.09.2014

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises’ HANSEATIC navigates the Northeast Passage successfully
  • The HANSEATIC is the first non-Russian cruise ship to brave the legendary sea route
  • 6,032 nautical miles between the Russian Far East and Europe
  • Expedition ends in Bodö/Norway
The HANSEATIC, one of the two expedition ships of Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, has become the first non-Russian cruise ship to navigate the Northeast Passage successfully. After a total of 6,032 nautical miles, the ship, which has the highest ice class for passenger ships, sailed into port at Bodö/Norway yesterday morning (Wednesday, September 10, 2014).

Cruise ship. Arctic passage. But nothing is changing?

Oh wow. Imagine the northern lights you get to see on that cruise.

Yeah, could be sunspots. Could be solar maximums. Could be a lot of things. I'm going to keep supporting reasonable pollution regulations just in case. Call me conservative.

Now I do want to keep flying F-22's and trying to fly F-35's btw. These Chinese might be a bigger threat to the environment than we are.

No foreign merchant ship transited the northeast passage until 2009. Now it's becoming more routine. Because there's less ice there now. Because of the warming. Because of the CO2.

jc, do you need that explained in smaller words? If so, I can't help you. Concepts can only be dumbed down so far, and it's nearly impossible to dumb them down to a level you can grasp.

You can show us in a lab how 120PPM...(or was it just the 20PPM we added over the last 20 years?) causes this magical "warming"?

No foreign merchant ship transited the northeast passage until 2009. Now it's becoming more routine. Because there's less ice there now. Because of the warming. Because of the CO2.

jc, do you need that explained in smaller words? If so, I can't help you. Concepts can only be dumbed down so far, and it's nearly impossible to dumb them down to a level you can grasp.

You can show us in a lab how 120PPM...(or was it just the 20PPM we added over the last 20 years?) causes this magical "warming"?

Of course!

Of course!

go for it!

You have trouble reading maps? It's completely open!
So?

You're being purposely obtuse, IMO, but on the off-chance that you're terminally stupid, because it proves the OP's contention.
no, I'm asking why we should care?

It's another indication that Arctic ice extents are shrinking to extents not seen in human memory.

So?

You're being purposely obtuse, IMO, but on the off-chance that you're terminally stupid, because it proves the OP's contention.

No reason you should care at all. In our society, we take care of the mentally unfit, so you are safe to lead a happy ignorant life.

It's another indication that Arctic ice extents are shrinking to extents not seen in human memory.
And again,so what? It doesn't add to the sea level, so still not sure your point.

Not based on your photo.

So?

No reason you should care at all. In our society, we take care of the mentally unfit, so you are safe to lead a happy ignorant life.
Again, you converse as if some catasrophe approaches but can't quaify it or prove it. So ignorance is truly on your side. And sea ice melting is not a catasrophe. it happens every year since I have been on this earth and I am approaching age 60.

And again,so what? It doesn't add to the sea level, so still not sure your point.

It's an indicator that the world is indeed getting warmer. It is reducing the planet's albedo and thus will accelerate our warming. It will eventually decimate polar bear, walrus and seal populations and could very well have an effect on the Meridional Overturning Current (MOC) which could have dramatic effects on weather and biology - particularly on the world's fisheries when you remove the foundation of the food chain supporting the bulk of the world's pelagic species. And if the world has gotten warm enough to melt the Arctic ice cap, it's very likely warm enough to melt the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, which WILL raise sea levels. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is already irrevocably destabilized and will result in a greater than 20 foot rise in global sea levels. Greenland will easily produce another 15. If we're lucky, it will take the 200 years currently predicted before that's all come to pass. If we're not so lucky, we're going to see a disaster of truly biblical proportions. You're call.

It's an indicator that the world is indeed getting warmer. It is reducing the planet's albedo and thus will accelerate our warming. It will eventually decimate polar bear, walrus and seal populations and could very well have an effect on the Meridional Overturning Current (MOC) which could have dramatic effects on weather and biology - particularly on the world's fisheries when you remove the foundation of the food chain supporting the bulk of the world's pelagic species. And if the world has gotten warm enough to melt the Arctic ice cap, it's very likely warm enough to melt the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, which WILL raise sea levels. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet is already irrevocably destabilized and will result in a greater than 20 foot rise in global sea levels. Greenland will easily produce another 15. If we're lucky, it will take the 200 years currently predicted before that's all come to pass. If we're not so lucky, we're going to see a disaster of truly biblical proportions. You're call.
and for the umpteenth hundred time, so what? Show me the evidence that suggests that a warmer planet is a bad planet. You like the word accelerate, you use it all the time and you have zero evidence of anything accelerating except your typing of the word. And on West Antarctic, you have no proof of the west penninsula issue being due to anything except perhaps the volcanic activity. that is real, your stance is wishful thinking I guess. Not sure why you're so wishfull in the demise of the human race, but dude you certainly are infatuated with it.

But you ake laugh. And btw, the Arctic still is ice. It hasn't melted and again, you're wrong..

Yes there are reports and all of them show that beginning in September, the arctic ice starts to return to the entire polar region. Am I wrong?

Forum List

Back