Northeast Passage

BTW, in case you didn't know,

Above the arctic and antarctic circles, the sun does not set for at least 1 night in summer and does not rise for at least 1 day in winter.

Hmm. so for 24 hours the arctic and antarctic are mostly in sunshine in summer months. So would you supposed that would be peak ice time? uh, no. Do you supposed that is influenced at all by CO2? No. It's also curious to me how the melt is close to the shores. Hmmmm... why do you suppose that would be? Hmm shallow?

I don't know, I thought you thought you were fairly smart. I guess not.

No foreign merchant ship transited the northeast passage until 2009. Now it's becoming more routine. Because there's less ice there now. Because of the warming. Because of the CO2.

jc, do you need that explained in smaller words? If so, I can't help you. Concepts can only be dumbed down so far, and it's nearly impossible to dumb them down to a level you can grasp.

Go for it! Bye enjoy the trip. Oh, you should know that the sun has started moving back south so you better hurry, that spot won't be open very long.

And I predict the ice coverage this winter will be equal to more than last year there. Just sayin.
Others are already doing just that.

Northeast Passage to revolutionize global shipping | Global Risk Insights

The Northeast Passage voyage cuts a journey between Rotterdam and Yokohoma, among the world’s busiest ports, with 4450 miles in 13 days. Travelling from Vancouver to Rotterdam through the Arctic rather than through Panama saves 2242 miles.

Shipping companies have been quick to capitalize on this shortcut. In 2010, only 4 commercial ships sailed through the Northeast Passage. This number increased to 46 in 2012 and 71 in 2013 (for comparison, 18,000 vessels go through Suez every year). With more than 90 percent of trade carried by sea, China is starting to realize this potential.

If, by 2020, 10 percent of its export is transported through the Northeast, it will be worth an estimated $700 billion, bringing immense values through a region that previously held minimal economic interest.

Above the arctic and antarctic circles, the sun does not set for at least 1 night in summer and does not rise for at least 1 day in winter.

Hmm. so for 24 hours the arctic and antarctic are mostly in sunshine in summer months. So would you supposed that would be peak ice time? uh, no. Do you supposed that is influenced at all by CO2? No. It's also curious to me how the melt is close to the shores. Hmmmm... why do you suppose that would be? Hmm shallow?

In 1975, watched the sun dip below the horizon for just two hours, at Yellowknife, NWT, for a couple of weeks. Yes, I am quite aware of how the days vary in the Arctic according to the season.

Close to shore, eh. Perhaps you need to take a class in basic map reading, with special attention to scale. At about the second grade level would be a good place to start.

In 1975, watched the sun dip below the horizon for just two hours, at Yellowknife, NWT, for a couple of weeks. Yes, I am quite aware of how the days vary in the Arctic according to the season.

Close to shore, eh. Perhaps you need to take a class in basic map reading, with special attention to scale. At about the second grade level would be a good place to start.

I kept it there so you'd understand. Yeah!!!!

No foreign merchant ship transited the northeast passage until 2009. Now it's becoming more routine. Because there's less ice there now. Because of the warming. Because of the CO2.

jc, do you need that explained in smaller words? If so, I can't help you. Concepts can only be dumbed down so far, and it's nearly impossible to dumb them down to a level you can grasp.

And so what is wrong with it? I merely gave the information on why it would be. I love it, too bad it isn't all year round. Except that no matter what you want to believe, the ice will be back. Watch carefully as the sun disappears and the cold air blows, I bet, just bet, the ice will be back.

Haha! People are stupid aren't they? Except YOU of course! You know it all!

That's funny. I can't find a SINGLE one trying it this year. There was one that tried it last year. Care to show us who's doing it this year?

Go for it! Bye enjoy the trip. Oh, you should know that the sun has started moving back south so you better hurry, that spot won't be open very long.

And I predict the ice coverage this winter will be equal to more than last year there. Just sayin.
Others are already doing just that.

Northeast Passage to revolutionize global shipping | Global Risk Insights

The Northeast Passage voyage cuts a journey between Rotterdam and Yokohoma, among the world’s busiest ports, with 4450 miles in 13 days. Travelling from Vancouver to Rotterdam through the Arctic rather than through Panama saves 2242 miles.

Shipping companies have been quick to capitalize on this shortcut. In 2010, only 4 commercial ships sailed through the Northeast Passage. This number increased to 46 in 2012 and 71 in 2013 (for comparison, 18,000 vessels go through Suez every year). With more than 90 percent of trade carried by sea, China is starting to realize this potential.

If, by 2020, 10 percent of its export is transported through the Northeast, it will be worth an estimated $700 billion, bringing immense values through a region that previously held minimal economic interest.

I guess you didn't read your whole link... Had you done so you would have found this....

The trip followed Russia’s northern coastline across the cold and hazardous Arctic Ocean to the Bering Strait, and was previously inaccessible to all but a few daring vessels that made the trip during the short summer months.

So no, 2009 is NOT the first time it was accomplished.

That's funny. I can't find a SINGLE one trying it this year. There was one that tried it last year. Care to show us who's doing it this year?

Here we go again. Are you truly trying to impress everybody with what a lying son of a bitch you truly are? Because the article clearly states that 71 ships used that passage last year. And, since the passage just opened up, none have yet used it, or at least completed the trip, this year. I'll get back to you at the end of October, and we shall see how many ships made the passage this year.

And we are supposed to be afraid because...

Well, that's the part I don't get, why should we be afraid?

And we are supposed to be afraid because...

Well, that's the part I don't get, why should we be afraid?

'Cause Al Gore said so.

Here we go again. Are you truly trying to impress everybody with what a lying son of a bitch you truly are? Because the article clearly states that 71 ships used that passage last year. And, since the passage just opened up, none have yet used it, or at least completed the trip, this year. I'll get back to you at the end of October, and we shall see how many ships made the passage this year.

Where exactly am I lying? I said I can't see anyone using it this year. If they are they tend to tell people. So, even if it is open, no one seems to care.

Because of CO2???? You've eliminated ALL the variables except for CO2??? Really?

No aldebo, no undersea volcanoes...it's ALL CO2...that's awesome and so easy to demonstrate in a lab

Where exactly am I lying? I said I can't see anyone using it this year. If they are they tend to tell people. So, even if it is open, no one seems to care.

You said one tried it last year, when 71 made the passage. And there are 448 that have applied for a permit this year, and 36 in the area right now.

Northern Sea Route Information Office

NSR navigational season 2014 facts by 01.08.2014:
General info
Permissions issued by NSR Administration 488
Vessels currently operating in the NSR water area 36
Transit statistics
Completed transit voyages
Cargo transported in transit (thousand tons)

You said one tried it last year, when 71 made the passage. And there are 448 that have applied for a permit this year, and 36 in the area right now.

Northern Sea Route Information Office

NSR navigational season 2014 facts by 01.08.2014:
General info
Permissions issued by NSR Administration 488
Vessels currently operating in the NSR water area 36
Transit statistics
Completed transit voyages
Cargo transported in transit (thousand tons)

Ahhh, yes I see. It was a typo, I forgot the seventy part. Also that is not all bulk cargo ships. That included yachts if I'm not mistaken. How many of those got stuck in the ice?

I see an open route between Alaska and the Atlantic.

arctic.seaice.color.000.png

And it's certainly not the first time it's opened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_passage

Look, Paddy...

screenhunter_370-sep-08-15-16.jpg

That ice is a goner. There's just no chance that's going to turn around in time to stop that plunge.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back