North Korea - Declaration of War

Miss/Mrs Kathianne what did you mean when you said by my perspective? Did you mean India's perspective?

Well , China won't mind if N.K becomes nuke power.Infact , N.K won't try to betray China. That would be suicide. China needs N.K to keep America at bay in Asia.I know it may sound dumb as N.K isn't affecting U.S interests right now in Asia. But you look at the scenario after 2-3 years when N.K would have more advanced missile tech. China might now be concentrating on its own economy. You all feel that China would ruin its economy now by going to war with U.S.Yup..that's right. But China is busy making money so that it can later go to war. It will confront America in the future. China is waiting. The Chinese have this military policy of "first strike " or "zhiming daji" i.e to cripple the enemy in a single mortal blow.That's what they tried to do to India in 1962 but failed. China now does not seem like a threat but later it will along with Iran and N.K.

Akshay

Miss/Mrs Kathianne what did you mean when you said by my perspective? Did you mean India's perspective?

Well , China won't mind if N.K becomes nuke power.Infact , N.K won't try to betray China. That would be suicide. China needs N.K to keep America at bay in Asia.I know it may sound dumb as N.K isn't affecting U.S interests right now in Asia. But you look at the scenario after 2-3 years when N.K would have more advanced missile tech. China might now be concentrating on its own economy. You all feel that China would ruin its economy now by going to war with U.S.Yup..that's right. But China is busy making money so that it can later go to war. It will confront America in the future. China is waiting. The Chinese have this military policy of "first strike " or "zhiming daji" i.e to cripple the enemy in a single mortal blow.That's what they tried to do to India in 1962 but failed. China now does not seem like a threat but later it will along with Iran and N.K.

Akshay

It would be no more suicide betraying China that it would using nukes against the US, S Korea or Japan.

I agree with you Mr Gunny L about N.K striking US and its allies now. But later it will be disastrous for AMerica if N.K launches. All I am trying to say is that N.K could seriously threaten U.S later on

Akshay

Akshay
As Gunny keeps pointing out, China does NOT want NK threatening anyone, much less causing itself, (meaning NK) to be attacked with China probably being drawn in. That makes it China's problem. My guess is, Kim is heading for a shortened term, with China allowing his overthrow.

I agree with you Mr Gunny L about N.K striking US and its allies now. But later it will be disastrous for AMerica if N.K launches. All I am trying to say is that N.K could seriously threaten U.S later on

Akshay

Possibly. I don't see N Korea as much of a threat now or later. Kim is throwing shit against the wall to see if it'll stick. He's trying to strongarm some handouts, plain and simple, using the only bargaining tool he has at his disposal. He knows that to follow through on his threats would amount to suicide.

As Gunny keeps pointing out, China does NOT want NK threatening anyone, much less causing itself, (meaning NK) to be attacked with China probably being drawn in. That makes it China's problem. My guess is, Kim is heading for a shortened term, with China allowing his overthrow.

ITA. I predict a military coup from within, with a nod and a wink fron Beijing.

Yep, both Strategy Page and Austin Bay have been hinting at such.

Problem: As was said by a state dept spokesman back in 91 when justifying why President Bush didn't take out Saddam, "There isn't an Abraham Lincoln waiting in the wings to take his place."

The hostility will remain, but ramped down to a level China approves of.

Problem: As was said by a state dept spokesman back in 91 when justifying why President Bush didn't take out Saddam, "There isn't an Abraham Lincoln waiting in the wings to take his place."

The hostility will remain, but ramped down to a level China approves of.

No doubt, China was fine with him, as long as his threats were contained to within NK and bluster to others. They didn't have a problem with the drugs, weapons, or counterfeiting.

ITA. I predict a military coup from within, with a nod and a wink fron Beijing.

Here's another, with links:

http://bluecrabboulevard.com/2006/10/20/china-hardens-stance-against-north-korea/

China Hardens Stance Against North Korea

This is huge. The government of China has cut off fund transfers to North Korea through its banks according to bank employees. This essentially cuts off virtually all hard currency flowing into the rogue state.

Chinese banks have stopped financial transfers to North Korea under government orders, bank employees said Friday. And at an appearance with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, China's foreign minister nudged the North to resume negotiations over its nuclear program and assured Washington that China would carry out United Nations sanctions on Pyongyang.

"We hope all relevant parties will maintain coolheadedness, adopt a prudent and a responsible approach and adhere to peaceful dialogue," Li Zhaoxing said as Rice concluded crisis talks in Asia following the North's Oct. 9 nuclear test blast.

China, which is North Korea's longtime protector, has been reluctant in the past to use economic pressure for fear Kim Jung Il's government might collapse.

But Chinese leaders were stung when the North ignored their warnings not to test-fire missiles over the summer, and again when it defied Beijing by detonating the underground blast this month. China previously had reduced food aid to North Korea amid complaints that Pyongyang had ignored Chinese interests.

The move by China's banks could deal a significant blow to the already impoverished North. China is North Korea's top trading partner — accounting for more than half its total foreign trade of less than $4 billion last year — and is a key conduit for its hard currency.

China's actions are considered key to enforcing U.N. sanctions on the North over the test, and to coaxing the North to back away from the nuclear brink and rejoin talks.​

This could be a death blow to Kim Jong Il's regime. It would be a very wise idea to keep a very watchful eye on Kim right now. He may get desperate for cash in a very short time.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 20th, 2006 at 4:12 pm and is filed under North Korea.

and it's sad when China seems to get why not 'bi-lateral talks':

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aOjQxPswcGB0&refer=japan

China Construction Bank Halts Some Businesses With North Korea

By Yanping Li and Kyunghee Park

Oct. 22 (Bloomberg) -- China Construction Bank Corp., the nation's four-largest state lender, has halted some of its transactions with North Korea as China seeks ways to pressure its ally to abandon further nuclear weapon tests.

Luo Zhefu, vice president of China Construction Bank, declined to elaborate on which businesses were halted, when asked today at a banking conference in Beijing.

Officials at four Chinese commercial banks, including China Construction Bank and Bank of China Ltd., said that in recent days they stopped moving funds across the border with North Korea, a ban that may have serious consequences for Kim Jong Il's regime, the Wall Street Journal reported Oct. 20.

Li Lihui, president of the Bank of China, the country's second-biggest state lender, declined to comment.

China's foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said on Oct. 17 that China is imposing financial sanctions on North Korea as it moves to uphold a resolution by the United Nations Security Council in response to the isolated state's nuclear weapons test.

``We are just abiding by the resolution,'' Liu said at a briefing in Beijing. UN Security Council Resolution 1718 ``did specify certain financial sanctions. China is just implementing them,'' he said.

The resolution, approved on Oct. 14 and supported by China, demands North Korea refrain from carrying out another nuclear test and return to six-nation talks on ending its atomic weapons program. China, North Korea's closest ally, has said the nuclear test ``negatively impacted'' relations between the countries.

North Korea on Oct. 9 announced it detonated a nuclear device, ignoring warnings from the U.S. and China not to carry out such a test.

State-controlled Bank of China had a monopoly on the nation's foreign-exchange dealings and overseas banking from 1949 to 1994.

and a Republican Senator, chairman of the powerful US Senate Foreign Relations Committee doesn't:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061022/pl_afp/nkoreanuclearweapons

One on one US-NKorea talks inevitable: US senator

13 minutes ago

The United States eventually will have to agree to direct, one-on-one talks with North Korea on its nuclear program, a top Senate Republican said.

"My gut feeling is that at the end of the day -- and I don't know which day, which week -- there will be an American presence talking to the 'Great Leader' and his people, and saying in essence, in terms that they understand, we're not going to overthrow you. We are not involved in regime change. You're going to stay," said Richard Lugar, chairman of the powerful US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Washington has long refused Pyongyang's demand for bilateral talks on its nuclear program and favors six-party talks involving countries from the region, but Lugar said US-North Korea talks are "inevitable."

"I believe that is going to happen. I hope it happens sooner rather than later," he told "Fox News Sunday."

The Republican lawmaker made his remarks amid fresh reports Sunday that Pyongyang may be ready for compromise, as US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice headed home from Moscow after a mission to increase pressure on the reclusive communist state.

Talk of progress in the stand-off over North Korea's weapon program came as thousands of South Korean anti-war activists rallied in downtown Seoul, demanding US-North Korean direct talks to ease tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear bomb test earlier this month.

The discussion about direct talks comes as ABC television on Sunday aired an interview with US President George W. Bush, warning that North Korea would be "held to account" if the Stalinist regime sold nuclear material to Iran or Al-Qaeda.

"One of the things that's important for these world leaders to hear is, you know, we will use means necessary to hold them to account," he told the US television network.

"If we get intelligence that they're about to transfer a nuclear weapon, we would stop the transfer, and we would deal with the ships that were taking the -- or the airplane that was dealing with taking the -- material to somebody," Bush said in the interview filmed Wednesday.

Asked if the United States would retaliate if such a transfer occurred, Bush said: "You know, I'd just say it's a grave consequence."

He brushed aside rumor that North Korea might set off two or three more tests.

"If they do, all that we'll do is help consolidate a firm group of nations that are tired of North Korea thumbing its nose at the international community," Bush said.

Bush said Washington was equally concerned about the prospect of a nuclear Iran.

"They're both worrisome ... and they've both been worrisome prior to my presidency," he said.

Forum List

Back