Norma Leah McCorvey (aka Jane Roe in Roe v Wade) gone at 69

Chuz Life

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2015
USA
Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69

norma-mccorveys-quotes-6.jpg

As an "anti-abortion" activist, I was very fortunate to have several conversations with Norma, shortly after reading her book "I am Roe." This was also shortly after she became "Pro-Life" herself. Though we had a falling out that ended our friendship (over whether religion belongs in the debate or not) I have always wished that we could have stayed friends longer. Rest in Peace Norma. I know your conscience should be clear! You have done a great deal to reverse the injustice to Children in the womb that was done (largely) in your name.

religion is a big part of why I am pro life; but it needs to not be a focal part of the debate

a human fetus is clearly alive and human - the whole normalizing of abortions was a big part of the downfall of this country

religion is a big part of why I am pro life; but it needs to not be a focal part of the debate

a human fetus is clearly alive and human - the whole normalizing of abortions was a big part of the downfall of this country
Everybody brings something to the table. You can't decide what motivates others.

Science is on our side, and so is Christianity. Everybody brings their unique perspective.

Everybody brings something to the table. You can't decide what motivates others.

Science is on our side, and so is Christianity. Everybody brings their unique perspective.

I agree that science is on our side, I am just saying that bringing religion into the argument is not going to help us win the argument

I agree that science is on our side, I am just saying that bringing religion into the argument is not going to help us win the argument

Especially not where law makers and Court cases are concerned.

EXCERPTS FROM “WON BY LOVE” by Norma McCorvey

…I remember one rally in particular, where a young woman approached me. She was very cute with long, straight hair, great big green eyes, and fair skin.
“So, you’re Jane Roe?” she said.
“That’s right.”
“Wow. Can I touch you?”
“Where?” I said immediately. I was always on my guard!
“I just think it’s like, cool – what you’ve done; how you’ve made it possible for me to get my abortions.”
“Abortions?” I said, stressing the plural. “How many have you had?”
“I don’t know.” The girl shrugged. “Five or six, I guess.”
I cringed. The girl noticed it, but my act was involuntary. I wasn’t trying to be cruel, but even back then I knew getting an abortion was not like getting a haircut.
“How come you had that many?” I asked. “Didn’t you learn anything after the first time?”
I could understand a woman making one mistake. I could even understand a woman making the same mistake twice. But half a dozen times? I’m sorry. I didn’t have patience for that.
I had to get away from her. I couldn’t stand there and talk to her anymore.
I left the rally early, the girl’s words, “I don’t know, five or six, I guess” ringing in my ears, haunting me, and went directly to a bar, where I downed a couple of shots of straight tequila…
(pp. 15-16)

As soon as Sarah Weddington had my name on the affidavit, I had served my purpose. She called me back, all right – four months after my child was born.

“Sarah,” I said. “I had the baby four months ago. Where were you then?” I didn’t hear from Sarah again. She had said everything was going to be okay and that she would be there, but she wasn’t.

This lack of relationship was not exactly a disappointment to me. Though Sarah had passed herself off as my friend, in reality she used me. When I sat down with her and discussed the possibility of getting an abortion, Sarah knew where I could get one, because she had gotten one herself three years before. When I asked her if the court’s decision would come in time for me to get an abortion, she gave an evasive answer. And she did so with the full understanding that it would come way too late to help me.

If Sarah Weddington was so interested in abortion, why didn’t she tell me where she got hers? Because I was of no use to her unless I was pregnant. She needed a pregnant woman who would sign the affidavit. If she told me how and where to get an abortion (or introduced me to people who knew, since, as a lawyer, she might have to cover herself), she wouldn’t have a plaintiff. And without a plaintiff, somebody else might get their case before the Supreme Court first. That’s why Sarah actually tried to talk me out of getting an illegal abortion in Mexico, as she had done.

(p. 29)

But Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee had never told me that what I was signing would allow women to use abortion as a form of birth control. We talked about truly desperate and needy women, not women already wearing maternity clothes.

(p. 53)

You see, abortions are an inherently dehumanizing business. You have to let a part of your soul die, or at least go numb, to stay in practice.

(p. 54)

…when you work at an abortion clinic, you’re guilty and you know it. For all the millions spent on public relations, the abortion movement has yet to invent rhetoric powerful enough to blind abortion clinic workers from the truth. You see the body parts, you hear the women’s cries, and you can’t keep lying to yourself – at least not without artificial stimulation.

(pp. 62-63)

I knew exactly what we charged for each abortion: starting at $295 for abortions performed around 6-11 weeks; $395 for 12-13 weeks; $495 for 14-15 weeks; $695 for 16-17 weeks; $795 for 18-19 weeks; and all the way up to $1,200 for even later abortions.

And all for bringing all these abortions in, I got paid six dollars an hour.

(p. 150)

A New Family

One of the things that surprised me most about becoming a Christian was the attitude of those I now worked with on a daily basis. At first, I couldn’t believe how weird the rescuers were. It was one thing to visit them occasionally while I was working at the clinic. Then I had plenty of suspicions that they were weird.

Now I was absolutely certain they were weird.

Why?

They were always so positive. I would come in all sad and down in the dumps, and they would be enthusiastic and happy and optimistic. Even when I messed up – slipping with a cuss word or something like that – they would look shocked, then encourage me to keep growing. Never did they put me down or expect me to become a different person. They accepted me just the way I was.

It took me a full six months to realize that that’s simply the way people are when they know Jesus. No matter how difficult life can be, with Jesus you always have a reason to be optimistic.

It might sound funny to someone who has been a Christian for a long time, but to me this was an entirely new outlook on life. At the clinic, if we weren’t getting high (escaping the present) or making crude jokes (escaping the past), we were making plans to do one or the other (escaping the future).

What startled me so much about the Christians at church and at Rescue was how their attitudes were exactly the opposite of what I expected. In the abortion movement, we always assumed that Christians were mean-spirited, judgmental, pleasure-hating radicals. If they opened their mouths at all, we thought, it was only to condemn sinners and deliver a sermon about the wages of wickedness.

In fact, I found out that we were the ones who were mean-spirited, self-righteous, and judgmental. It was those in the abortion movement who were ruled by hatred and spite. My entire frame of reference had changed.

Two weeks later, my conversion would become public knowledge – and then I would find out just how hot that hatred could run.

(pp. 167-168)

The truth came out in that interview (on Bryant Gumbel’s show). Sarah [Weddington] confessed, “I don’t care about Norma McCorvey. I care about Jane Roe. Norma McCorvey was just a name on a class-action lawsuit.”

This was exactly what I had felt. Ronda and Flip and Pastor Sheats and the folks at Hillcrest loved Norma McCorvey and were willing to overlook Jane Roe. The proaborts loved Jane Roe and despised Norma McCorvey. My Christian friends had learned to love a fallen person; my proabortion friends had despised the person and fallen in love with a myth – Jane Roe.

(p. 194)

Sarah Weddington: “All Norma McCorvey did was sign an affidavit. She was a bit player in a class-action suit that gave all women the right to choose…”

(p. 197)

…As Sarah Weddington presented my case, she used the fact that I had claimed to have become pregnant through a gang rape. The public had certain misgivings about abortion in the early seventies, but there was much greater acceptance of abortion in cases of rape, so even though I wasn’t really raped, I thought saying so would garner greater public support.

This means that the abortion case that destroyed every state law protecting the unborn was based on a lie.

(p. 231)

Jane Roe Meets Mary Doe

It was a beautiful Tennessee day on March 23, 1997, when I met Sandra Cano, the woman who signed the other affidavit (as Mary Doe) that brought virtually unregulated abortion to all fifty states. Many people do not realize that Roe v. Wade had a very important companion case. While Roe struck down the abortion laws of every state in the nation, Doe v. Bolton, announced the same day, described a woman’s health in such broad terms that even the modest restrictions alluded to in Roe were rendered worthless. Doe also said that states could not prohibit abortions performed outside of accredited hospitals, opening the door to the evolution of abortion clinics.

Suddenly, overnight, abortion was legal everywhere, through all nine months of pregnancy, for virtually any reason – thanks to Jane Roe and Mary Doe.

In many ways, Sandra Cano’s story is remarkably similar to mine. She dropped out of school in the tenth grade and made her disastrous marital decision at the age of sixteen. Though her husband was in and out of jail on child molestation and kidnapping charges, she managed to conceive and give birth to three children by the time she turned twenty-two.

Following some mental problems, Sandra lost her children: the state placed one for adoption, and two were put in foster care. When she conceived her fourth child, she went to an Atlanta Legal Aid office for help in getting a divorce and getting her children back. There she was put in touch with an American Civil Liberties Union lawyer who told her to sign some papers.

I’ll se what I can do,” the attorney said.

The lawyer managed to get the two children in foster care back, and as a favor Sandra allowed the lawyer to use her case to challenge the abortion laws. Sandra never wanted an abortion, she just wanted her children back. In fact, the lawyer arranged for her to get an abortion at an out-of-state hospital, but Sandra refused to go through with it. She later gave birth to a baby girl.

During this period, Sandra had been examined twice at a psychiatric hospital and once admitted to a reporter, “I just had a really tremendous emotional stress on me.” Concerning her role in the affidavit, Sandra said she was “like a little puppy on a leash. Wherever I thought anybody was going to help me, I would follow along.”

The parallels between our stores are eerie. Both of us dropped out of school, and both of us were very poor. Both of us married abusive men and had our children taken away from us. We even chose the same name of one of our daughters – Melissa. And in 1989, after she stared speaking out against her role in Doe v. Bolton, Sandra’s home, like mine, was targeted in a drive-by shooting.

When Sandra’s Doe daughter turned nineteen, she held a news conference to announce that she was pro-choice. Guess what lawyer represented her? That’s right – Gloria Allred. And, of course, both our groundbreaking cases were based on lies. I wasn’t raped, and Sandra never wanted an abortion.

Though our backgrounds are so similar, in other ways Sandra and I are exact opposites. She is very demure, quiet, and somewhat shy – something I’ve never been accused of! Sandra’s experience with the proabortion movement has not been much different from mine, however.

After hearing the news of my conversion, Sandra wrote a letter to Operation Rescue in which she said, “[Doe v. Bolton]” is based on a fraud, and never should have happened… I never wanted or had an abortion… I was used and manipulated for others… I am pro-life and always have been and always will be. I will never give up the fight to change… this terrible law.”

Sound familiar?

I had met Sandra before, but today was a special day. We were in Chattanooga to speak out against abortion and to have plaques installed in the National Memorial for Unborn Children. (A transcript of my remarks to the audience is included in the Appendix.)

The memorial plaques, which Sandra and I wrote ourselves, read a follows:

I was born Norma McCorvey. I became known as Jane Roe on January 22, 1973, when the U.S. Supreme Court released the Roe v. Wade decision, which created a woman’s right to abortion.

I was born Sandra Cano. I became known as Mary Doe on January 22, 1973, when the U.S. Supreme Court released Roe v. Wade’s companion decision, Doe v. Bolton, which allowed women to abort for any reason.

We are now forgiven and redeemed, new creatures in Christ and children of God.

Today we publicly recant our involvement in the tragedy of Abortion. We humbly ask the forgiveness of the millions of women and unborn babies who experienced the violence of abortion.

In this place of healing, the National Memorial for the Unborn, we stand together to honor the worth of every unborn child as created in the image of God.

March 23, 1997

Norma McCorvey
Sandra Cano

(pp. 234-237)

Appendix

Transcript of Norma McCorvey’s Remarks

National Memorial for Unborn Children

March 23, 1997

Good morning.

The affidavit did not happen the way I said it did, pure and simple. I lied! Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee needed an extreme case to make their client look pitiable. Rape seemed to be the ticket. What made rape even worse? A gang rape! It all started out as a little lie. I said what I needed to say. But my little lie grew and grew and became more horrible with each telling.

Sarah and Linda’s eyes seemed blinded to my obvious inability to tell the same story twice. It was good for the cause! It read well in the newspapers. With the help of a willing Dallas Morning News and the credibility of such well-known columnists as Carl Rowan, the lie became the truth these past twenty-five years.

The deceit was exposed in the late ‘80s with the made-for-TV movie, Roe v. Wade, with Holly Hunter. Sarah knew the truth, the real truth, long before she ever went to the Supreme Court in 1971. Yes, the state reason for my abortion is based upon a lie, a great lie. So the entire abortion industry is based on a lie.

I did not go to several Dallas physicians as the affidavit said I did. In fact I went to one mill, an illegal clinic, that had just been shut down by the police. Back then police arrested abortionists. Today they are arresting gentle Christians laying down their lives to save our Lord’s precious children. They are arresting them because of a lie. My lie. I never went to any other place seeing an abortion – except, of course, to Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee.

I did not come to the Supreme Court on behalf of a class of women. I was not pursuing any legal remedy for my unwanted pregnancy. I did not go to the federal courts for relief. I went to Sarah Weddington asking her if she knew how I could obtain an abortion. She and Linda coffee said they didn’t know where to get one. They lied to me just like I lied to them! Sarah already had an abortion. She knew where to get one. Sarah and Linda were looking for somebody, anybody, to use to further their own agenda. I was their most willing dupe.

For this I will forever be ashamed. But Jesus has saved me from the tentacles of this horrible lie. My life had been restored to me, and I now have the privilege of speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves. My body does not belong to me, it belongs to him who has saved me for his purpose.

Thank you.

(pp. 241-242)

Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69

As an "anti-abortion" activist, I was very fortunate to have several conversations with Norma, shortly after reading her book "I am Roe." This was also shortly after she became "Pro-Life" herself. Though we had a falling out that ended our friendship (over whether religion belongs in the debate or not) I have always wished that we could have stayed friends longer. Rest in Peace Norma. I know your conscience should be clear! You have done a great deal to reverse the injustice to Children in the womb that was done (largely) in your name.

She might have lived longer if she didn't have an abortion. Medical fact. They never tell women they will have a higher chance of breast cancer either after having an abortion.

oh well.

She might have lived longer if she didn't have an abortion. Medical fact. They never tell women they will have a higher chance of breast cancer either after having an abortion.

oh well.

Truth is, she never did have an abortion herself. You should read the post above with quotes from her book. When i first spoke to Norma, she told me she had a pretty rough life with a lot of drinking, trying to drown the Stress of her own part in the whole controversy. Even when she wanted to, she couldn't escape it.

I think she died younger because of that.

She was tormented at times by both sides for decades.

oh well.

Truth is, she never did have an abortion herself. You should read the post above with quotes from her book. When i first spoke to Norma, she told me she had a pretty rough life with a lot of drinking, trying to drown the Stress of her own part in the whole controversy. Even when she wanted to, she couldn't escape it.

Hmmm, must have been MSM lying again because from what I read they said she was raped and didn't want to have the child and this is what started the path to abortions obviously lol.

oh well.

Hmmm, must have been MSM lying again because from what I read they said she was raped and didn't want to have the child and this is what started the path to abortions obviously lol.

Yeah,

That would have been fake news.

Forum List

Back