Nonunion Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery

importing this so as not to hijack a thread....

It would have been back on in two, had non-unioners been allowed in. :eusa_whistle:

they were allowed... they chose to leave rather than work under our state rules.

aren't you the ones who are all about states' rights?

:eusa_whistle:

so what you are saying is..... they only would allow union members to help with the disaster recovery........

some states are 'right to work' (misnomer,btw) some not. i don't know the full circumstances, but the link i provided seemed to indicate they didn't do much to find out if they could get around the rules.

they were allowed... they chose to leave rather than work under our state rules.

so what you are saying is..... they only would allow union members to help with the disaster recovery........

some states are 'right to work' (misnomer,btw) some not. i don't know the full circumstances, but the link i provided seemed to indicate they didn't do much to find out if they could get around the rules.

glad you followed the link...i didnt want to hijack rightwingers thread.

So still what you are saying.... is if non union disaster relief workers did not join the union...they were told they were not wanted/needed and could not help....

which sounds about right to me with anything involving any union.

Last edited:
As a resident of he Jersey Shore I applaud our union workers in all trades who are working tirelessly to help our area from devastation. They are putting in 16 hour days and are cooperating with non union workers up here to help out. We also appreciate all the workers, union or not who have swarmed to our area to help us
The union utility worker who lives down the street from me said it is bull shit that anyone is being turned away. It is just another case of the right wing using a disaster to smear union workers

Where ever the story came from, it obviously has some validity.
And this kind of thing is expected from union labor. Unions tend to be territorial.
I am willing to make a wager that if unionized companies did in fact turn away non union labor from out of state, the governor of NJ would have heard about it and slammed the door on it.
With that said, it is entirely possible that the union companies may have initially tried to reject non-union help but quickly retreated knowing full well that the wrath of the governor would be forthcoming.
Let's just say at this point everyone is playing "nice" now.

It is not true.....the power company denies it, the union denies it and the utility from Alabama says it did not happen

The only ones swearing by it are right wing union haters

What a buncha Mittiots Republicans are, this is just another in a long list of ridiculous Republican lies -- Republicans will lie about any and everything, in this case, even the uber-conservative NJ Governor is saying rightwingers are making up this BS story. -pewsh!-

But union officials completely deny that there was any such condition. "It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters -- regardless of union status," Jim Spellane, spokesman for the national office of the IBEW said in a statement. Gov. Christie said the Alabama crew got "bad information" and that non-union crews are welcomed in the recovery effort, according to The Associated Press. Jersey Central Power & Light, the New Jersey utility which provides power to Seaside Heights, is using non-union crews to help restore power.

Click the link for the full article
V
V
V

It would have been back on in two, had non-unioners been allowed in. :eusa_whistle:

no, they have a prevailing wage law

a state prevailing wage law

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/content/prevailing_wage_rate_faqs.html

Last edited:

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Public Works (Prevailing Wage) FAQs

damn and here I thought obummer said "no buracracy, no red tape." so much for that shit huh?

And this kind of thing is expected from union labor. Unions tend to be territorial.
I am willing to make a wager that if unionized companies did in fact turn away non union labor from out of state, the governor of NJ would have heard about it and slammed the door on it.
With that said, it is entirely possible that the union companies may have initially tried to reject non-union help but quickly retreated knowing full well that the wrath of the governor would be forthcoming.

It is not true.....the power company denies it, the union denies it and the utility from Alabama says it did not happen

What a buncha Mittiots Republicans are, this is just another in a long list of ridiculous Republican lies -- Republicans will lie about any and everything, in this case, even the uber-conservative NJ Governor is saying rightwingers are making up this BS story. -pewsh!-

But union officials completely deny that there was any such condition. "It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters -- regardless of union status," Jim Spellane, spokesman for the national office of the IBEW said in a statement. Gov. Christie said the Alabama crew got "bad information" and that non-union crews are welcomed in the recovery effort, according to The Associated Press. Jersey Central Power & Light, the New Jersey utility which provides power to Seaside Heights, is using non-union crews to help restore power.

Click the link for the full article
V
V
V

Possibly, the Alabama power crews got their information from reading rightwing propaganda sites......or watching FoxNews

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Public Works (Prevailing Wage) FAQs

damn and here I thought obummer said "no buracracy, no red tape." so much for that shit huh?

yeah, they haven't suspended the laws against murder and robbery, either, you stupid bint :lol:

aahh.... ok... so there is a law that no non union members are allowed to work in the state.....

and doesnt the prevailing wage law mean that t no union members would be paid the same as union members?

Last edited:
As a resident of he Jersey Shore I applaud our union workers in all trades who are working tirelessly to help our area from devastation. They are putting in 16 hour days and are cooperating with non union workers up here to help out. We also appreciate all the workers, union or not who have swarmed to our area to help us
The union utility worker who lives down the street from me said it is bull shit that anyone is being turned away. It is just another case of the right wing using a disaster to smear union workers

Hey...........lying is the only thing the right wing loons have left.

Remember Mittens telling everyone that Jeep was going to move American jobs to China?

aahh.... ok... so there is a law that no non union members are allowed to work in the state.....

and doesnt the prevailing wage law mean that t no union members would be paid the same as union members?

no, there isn't. i know you're no nobel laureate, but this shit really isn't complicated. :lol:

let's just say the story is bullshit, has been debunked thoroughly and anyone who continues to believe it is a either a fool or so rabidly anti-union that they can't face reality.

you people crack me up.
Well, lets just remember that unions are most unpopular right now. Especially unions representing public sector workers.
I did not say the story was "true". I stated there was most likely some validity to it.
The fact is this kind of thing would come as no surprise.
I once worked for a trade that was non-union. We got a job in a building where there were other trades working that were union. It was not a "union building".
Anyway, the work was going along just fine. One day the lights would not be turned on. My supe went to the project manager to find out if there was a problem. There sure was. The fucking union electricians found out we were not union and refused to turn on the lights essentially shutting down the job. All because they didn't get their asses kissed. Fuck em.
The owner of the building had a lot of clout and spoke to a few people who in turn got the IBEW to back off.
This is the kind of fucked up bullshit we had to put up with involving these God Damned fucking unions.
Unions? . They are all dirty. Some are run by the mob.
Anti union? OH yeah. Unions do nothing but screw the workers and drive up the cost of doing business and commerce.

Hey...........lying is the only thing the right wing loons have left.

Remember Mittens telling everyone that Jeep was going to move American jobs to China?

No, but GM did. In fact GM's 70% rise in sales is due to increased sales in China and the Pacific Rim. Most of those vehicles are built IN CHINA.

let's just say the story is bullshit, has been debunked thoroughly and anyone who continues to believe it is a either a fool or so rabidly anti-union that they can't face reality.

you people crack me up.
Well, lets just remember that unions are most unpopular right now. Especially unions representing public sector workers.
I did not say the story was "true". I stated there was most likely some validity to it.
I once worked for a trade that was non-union. We got a job in a building where there were other trades working that were union. It was not a "union building".
Anyway, the work was going along just fine. One day the lights would not be turned on. My supe went to the project manager to find out if there was a problem. There sure was. The fucking union electricians found out we were not union and refused to turn on the lights essentially shutting down the job. All because they didn't get their asses kissed. Fuck em.
The owner of the building had a lot of clout and spoke to a few people who in turn got the IBEW to back off.
This is the kind of fucked up bullshit we had to put up with involving these God Damned fucking unions.
Anti union? OH yeah. Unions do nothing but screw the workers and drive up the cost of doing business and commerce.

"I see that this story is bullshit, but I really want to believe it because I hate unions, so we'll say it has 'some validity'"

no, there isn't. i know you're no nobel laureate, but this shit really isn't complicated. :lol:
Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation
NJ is a "closed shop state"
NJ permits unions to prohibit non union workers from becoming employed unless they agree to become a member of the representing union at that shop.
NJ law also permits shops to not hire a person who is not currently a member of the union representing workers at a particular shop.
There is another thread regarding price gouging and price fixing. I cannot think of a more blatant example of fixing the price of labor than NJ Labor Laws..
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Prevailing Wage Rate Determinations

you people crack me up.

"I see that this story is bullshit, but I really want to believe it because I hate unions, so we'll say it has 'some validity'"

If you wish to ignore the possibility of this kind of thing occurring, so be it. Here's a box of Q tips so you have something to clean out your ears from your head being buried in the sand.

If you wish to ignore the possibility of this kind of thing occurring, so be it. Here's a box of Q tips so you have something to clean out your ears from your head being buried in the sand.

Anything is "possible". It's "possible" that Mitt Romney is a serial killer.

Would that claim have "some validity", simply because it's "possible"?

Anything is "possible". It's "possible" that Mitt Romney is a serial killer.

Would that claim have "some validity", simply because it's "possible"?

Oy vay

Forum List

Back