Noise suppression

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
I'm trying to cut down on the noise coming from the street into my master bedroom. Which DIY material do you think is best for noise suppression to put in my windows? Styrofoam, plywood, drywall, can't be too expensive cuz I ain't made of money.

I'm trying to cut down on the noise coming from the street into my master bedroom. Which DIY material do you think is best for noise suppression to put in my windows? Styrofoam, plywood, drywall, can't be too expensive cuz I ain't made of money.
Styrofoam but glue it in place because loose it vibrates.

Leave them in. Cheap and handy rotten egg ammo to fling at obnoxious neighbors

/—-/ A 12 guage fired out your window at the offending party should do the trick. But hey that’s just me.

/—-/ A 12 guage fired out your window at the offending party should do the trick. But hey that’s just me.

Joe Biden, is this you? Anyway, my problem is basically traffic noise, got a stop sign a hundred feet or so down the street which people sorta slow down for and then hit the gas. Them motorcycles can get pretty loud sometimes.

Joe Biden, is this you? Anyway, my problem is basically traffic noise, got a stop sign a hundred feet or so down the street which people sorta slow down for and then hit the gas. Them motorcycles can get pretty loud sometimes.

Let us know how it goes.

I have a stop sign so the bikes starting again can be the worst part
they roar off

Don't use styrofoam. It's very flammable and creates extremely toxic fumes when it burns.

Styrofoam but glue it in place because loose it vibrates.

Locktight power grab is the glue to use. Bout 3 bucks a toon.

Let us know how it goes.

I have a stop sign so the bikes starting again can be the worst part
they roar off

We ended up with a combination of a one inch cutout of drywall, then a one inch cutout of styrofoam and a curtain that is supposed to reduce noise and also keeps out the cold outside air. I think the drywall is the most effective noise blocker from what I read, I may not have used enough of it. We still get some noise from the street, but it is quite a bit less than it was. I might replace the styrofoam with another piece of drywall and see how that goes, it's heavy but pretty good at reducing the sound vibrations.

Forum List

Back