No-show parents could face jail time

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Jul 10, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    CNN Newsroom: Blog Archive - No-show parents could face jail time - CNN.com Blogs

Radical? Predictions?

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    If the State wants to raise a child, they should PAY for the child and all its needs and wants. More Nanny State bullshit.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
  4. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
  5. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    That's a conundrum. If what happens outside of school is just as (if not more) important to a student's performance/outcomes do we blame schools for factors beyond their control or empower to try and influence those factors?

Tough to say. You mention that cutting off welfare checks can combat truancy but does mere attendance improve outcomes? Or are those former truants just disruptive to the process, impeding the kids who do go to school to learn something? You can punish parents for not showing up to meetings or not sending their kids to school but is more required of them than that? If those measures actually have good outcomes then all right; it just seems like the problem is much more intractable than that.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Educational Leadership:Reshaping High Schools:Improving Student Attendance

More and more states are demanding "teacher accountability" based on student performance. Why not expect the same accountability from those that birthed them? :confused:

I would like to see parents fined for incorrigible behavior, and "no-shows" for students who miss detentions and mandated tutoring sessions. That's big bucks for many districts.

Conferences? Some kids simply don't need them.

7. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I missed both of my childrens' conferences the first quarter this year. They sent a note home telling me they were scheduled for 2 and 2:15 pm the next day, when I had an obligation at work I couldn't reschedule or delegate. A phone call in the morning informed me I was a horrible parent for putting work before my children (in fact they insinuated I was a horrible parent for working at all), I was wasting the teachers' valuable time that was set aside and scheduled for me and they refused to reschedule for a later time.

Then when I called, e-mailed and screamed bloody murder to both of their teachers and the guidance office for a copy of some test results I would never have even known about if they hadn't happened to mention taking the tests, I was a nuisance parent. Go figure. I had to contact the district office and threaten to sue to get my own kids' records.

There are often two sides to every story, you know. Some parents really don't care and we all know it, but some schools could care less about the parents too. Punishing parents for school officials or teachers on an ego trip is beyond stupid.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Jail time for not having a parent teacher conference?

That's preposterous.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Not to the left.

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Definitely a bit much, but Detroit schools are amongst the worst. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

My kids' school hands out report cards at conferences. They will not mail them or send them home with the kids. "If you want it, come get it." However, where I teach our grades are on line. Parents can check regularly and then call or email with concerns. There were parents I communicated with almost weekly. No conference necessary.