No Problem With The Speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoliticalChic, Dec 2, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,784
    Steven Wright said it best: “You can’t have everything…’cause where would you keep it?”

After all the chatter on both sides as to what the President should say, or would say, he managed to antagonize both sides, and encourage both sides.

1. President Barack Obama is the best orator that I have seen since I’ve been politically cognizant.

2. I was thrilled to see the cadets, and, since I am certain that many were not of the President’s political view, I was proud of their response to the commander-in-chief.

3. Bottom line: he is sending 30,000 troops in an expedited manner. This closely conforms to the request from General McChrystal.

4. I view the 18-month withdrawal statement as a political statement more than a firm timetable. After all, he need his liberal base for the healthcare battle, and some 46% of the public is not in favor of more troops for Afghanistan.

5. He ran on a platform that Afghanistan is essential, and has not backed away from that idea.

6. After the election, many of us on the right pointed out, shall we say, misstatements by the new President, and a number of ways that he went back on promises. The left simply shrugged and said, “well, he’s a politician…what do you expect?” So, why worry about a ‘promise’ that is 18 months away, and will depend on events on the ground?

All-in-all, the speech was well delivered, and had, like Christmas, something for everybody.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The original desire of McCrystal was 140,000 troops. He was told to modify that request by the administration; that he could not even hope for more than 40,000. They will give him 30,000.

It's a death sentence for our troops there, combined with the promise to have us out of there on a certain date (hey, close to election time, go figure). Instead of sending troops to actually solve the problem, he's just sending a few to keep them busy and kill them (by them I mean our guys) off so he can proclaim it a defeat and be hailed as a savior when he finally brings the poor souls he refused to help back.

The military DESPISES Obama. And this is why. He's willing to set them up for death and failure for his political purposes.

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    And because there's a date on it, the terrorists will just bide their time until we leave, then engage in whole-sale slaughter.

4. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Link please
    Re-writing the speech - Obama made it clear that achieving the goal would depend on meeting the objectives and was not "written-in-stone." It's a goal, not a deadline. And an idea without a goal is just a fantasy.

I'm still against sending more troops, but if we are to have our people in harms way I want them to have every advantage that we can provide and I want them to have clear objectives that include time-goals for achieveing them. If we miss the time goal (which I suspect we WILL miss this one) then it is time to review our strategy and conditions on the ground to see if we need to adjust anything or if our original goal was just too ambitious.

The fact that there is far more of a political downside to NOT meeting a stated time goal than there is a political upside to meeting it, indicates to me that it was a risky move politically and therefor probably NOT a case of pandering or appeasement. It appears to me to be an attempt to reassure the people of Afghanistan and to reassure our allies that we are determined to let Afghanistan run their own country and to avoid a never-ending quagmire.

That's just MHO.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,784
    Glad you brought that point up, because when I was listening to the speech, - and I hope I'm not giving the administration more credit than it deserves- I thought the same thing, then I thought the White House must see the same thing...so perhaps that is the hope!

They hope that the training of the Afghan army, such that it is, will gain an 18-month time out, as the enemy waits for US to withddraw.

Maybe?

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    I think that no matter what we do the bad guys are going to find ways to get us. I don't know that they'll ever stop.

7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Probably not - but I still think we have to make it as difficult as we can and we have to make sure they suffer severe consequences.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    You don't think that if they want to get us, they will?

Absolutely agree with the bolded.

9. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I think that a determined terrorist who has no regard for his own safety will almost always find a way to claim victims. That's what I meant by the "probably not" part. I was saying probably not in responding to your statement: "I don't know that they'll ever stop."

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    Thanks; I misread your post.