No Need for Universal Health Care in US

Having no health insurance means an early death to almost 45,000 people in the United States annually – almost two-and-a-half times the number previously estimated -– according to a study published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health.

The research team used the latest figures from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) to update previous calculations based on 20-year-old data. They tracked 9,004 uninsured individuals ages 17-64.

The study included special “oversamples” of African Americans and Mexicans -– who were found to die at about the same rate as their white counterparts.

“Although blacks and Hispanics are more likely to end up uninsured, racial differences in the percentages of deaths was not statistically significant,” lead author Dr. Andrew Wilper said in an interview.

In essence, he said, once people are uninsured “they are in the same boat” –- a boat in which 3 percent will succumb each year from lack of care.

For the last 50+ years the right has fought to stop any kind of universal health care to include Medicare and Medicaid. Fortunately they lost on those, but they still are fighting to protect their friends in the Medical Insurance industry.

How many more Americans must die before we finally act like a civilized society? For those who say "socialized medicine" pull your head out of your butts. What is being proposed is not socialized medicine, but since you have coverage who gives a shit about those dying because they can't afford to pay the Death Panels from United, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana, etc.

Harvard Study: 45,000 Uninsured Die Every Year - NAM

There is no one dying because they lack health care. Have you ever heard of the hypocratic oath, no one can be denied care because they don't have insurance, or the means to pay for it, they show up in our emergency rooms get the needed treatment, operations, treatment for cancer ect. Ever heard of medicaid, that's what they get. You have obviously bought into the hype of the month club.

If people were dying every day your liberal media would be all over that like a wet blanket in order to sell Obama's plan, their silent on this meaning it doesn't happen. Dream on you little la la liberal land dreamer. :lol::lol:

Now you really show the mindset of the sick Conservatism that we see rampant today. And if you think that it is easy to get on Mediaid or any of the alternative, I truly hope you get the oppertunity to apply for such.

So we are all to wait until an illness gets bad enough to go to an emergency room before addressing it? You are truly an idiot.

health insurance is good for those who are HEALTHY only, and this is how our health insurance systen is set up..... :(

Our Health Insurance system is set up to keep the profits of the companies and their executives very healthy. The health of those that pay the premiums is irrelevant.

Anyone who opposes access to affordable health care has a fractured personality. The person is emotionally and spiritually deficient. You can't really argue with such people, because they simply cannot be objective. Until they heal, no hope exists for them. Fortunately there is an affordable healing process for those hurting like Maple -- serving his or her fellow human being. The more he serves others, the better he will feel. If others in Maple's boat don't like what I have written above, that does not change the truth of it. You are broken inside, and you need to heal.

Ame®icano;1532595 said:
people without health insurance have a 40% greater chance of dying is what i heard on the 24/7 than anyone who does have insurance...?

Don't know how they came to that figure, but heard it last night on a couple of cable news stations...

Non-swimmer has better chance to drown then a swimmer.

Gang member has better chance to get killed then non-gang member.

Right or wrong?

So you equate not paying insurance premiums, which may or may not be honored at the hospital, with gang membership? Any other comments to demonstrate you lack of logic, or reason?

Ame®icano;1532595 said:
people without health insurance have a 40% greater chance of dying is what i heard on the 24/7 than anyone who does have insurance...?

Don't know how they came to that figure, but heard it last night on a couple of cable news stations...

Right or wrong?

So you equate not paying insurance premiums, which may or may not be honored at the hospital, with gang membership? Any other comments to demonstrate you lack of logic, or reason?

Did I said that? No. I just asked question.

And you neg rep me for that?

For those of you that are religious....please consider what i have said below....
for those of you who are not, please IGNORE THIS POST or warning!

If taking care of others comes from God, then denying health care to others comes from the Devil....

If attributing wanting to care for all human beings that are strangers, sick and needy through providing affordable health care (in this particular case) is from God and you all attribute it to being evil or coming from the Devil, then you might take a second evaluation of yourselves because this could be, the Unforgivable sin, sinning against the Holy Spirit that Jesus spoke about.... attributing something that comes from God (the need and desire and will-both in the heart and financially, to help ALL human's well being and livelihood), to the Devil/Satan/Evil....then you could be in danger of committing this unforgivable sin, imho! :eek:

When Jesus spoke about this, he was speaking about Pharisees and Sadducee that attributed the Good Works of Jesus, helping the needy and the sick become well, as the work of Beelzebub...the work of evil, the work of the devil, verses the work and desire of God.

Well...i don't have a problem with arguing over the bill and measures in the bill, but i get a distinct feeling that those that i thought were religious seem to put this plan or proposals in to the category of evil....and i see this as absurd, wanting to find a way to give every human, strangers and loved ones and neighbors a means to affordable health care as being evil, i see it coming from God or the Holy Spirit within us...

you can differ, and that's fine and dandy....I don't even agree to this Health care insurance proposal for various reasons....BUT I HAVE NEVER ATTRIBUTED IT TO BEING something evil, because it is NOT evil....it may have parts that need improving on, but it is not evil to want a system that covers ALL HUMAN BEINGS...

it IS EVIL to want a system that DOES NOT....again, imho.

care

Having no health insurance means an early death to almost 45,000 people in the United States annually – almost two-and-a-half times the number previously estimated -– according to a study published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health.

The research team used the latest figures from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) to update previous calculations based on 20-year-old data. They tracked 9,004 uninsured individuals ages 17-64.

The study included special “oversamples” of African Americans and Mexicans -– who were found to die at about the same rate as their white counterparts.

“Although blacks and Hispanics are more likely to end up uninsured, racial differences in the percentages of deaths was not statistically significant,” lead author Dr. Andrew Wilper said in an interview.

In essence, he said, once people are uninsured “they are in the same boat” –- a boat in which 3 percent will succumb each year from lack of care.

For the last 50+ years the right has fought to stop any kind of universal health care to include Medicare and Medicaid. Fortunately they lost on those, but they still are fighting to protect their friends in the Medical Insurance industry.

How many more Americans must die before we finally act like a civilized society? For those who say "socialized medicine" pull your head out of your butts. What is being proposed is not socialized medicine, but since you have coverage who gives a shit about those dying because they can't afford to pay the Death Panels from United, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana, etc.

I have no doubt that the lack of national health insurance kills a lot more Americans than 45,000.

We are the only industrialized nation on earth without national health insurance. Why? Because our Congress is controlled by greedy corporations who would rather have people die than to give up their incredibly lucrative business of making money off of sick people.

For those of you that are religious....please consider what i have said below....
for those of you who are not, please IGNORE THIS POST or warning!

If taking care of others comes from God, then denying health care to others comes from the Devil....

If attributing wanting to care for all human beings that are strangers, sick and needy through providing affordable health care (in this particular case) is from God and you all attribute it to being evil or coming from the Devil, then you might take a second evaluation of yourselves because this could be, the Unforgivable sin, sinning against the Holy Spirit that Jesus spoke about.... attributing something that comes from God (the need and desire and will-both in the heart and financially, to help ALL human's well being and livelihood), to the Devil/Satan/Evil....then you could be in danger of committing this unforgivable sin, imho! :eek:

When Jesus spoke about this, he was speaking about Pharisees and Sadducee that attributed the Good Works of Jesus, helping the needy and the sick become well, as the work of Beelzebub...the work of evil, the work of the devil, verses the work and desire of God.

Well...i don't have a problem with arguing over the bill and measures in the bill, but i get a distinct feeling that those that i thought were religious seem to put this plan or proposals in to the category of evil....and i see this as absurd, wanting to find a way to give every human, strangers and loved ones and neighbors a means to affordable health care as being evil, i see it coming from God or the Holy Spirit within us...

you can differ, and that's fine and dandy....I don't even agree to this Health care insurance proposal for various reasons....BUT I HAVE NEVER ATTRIBUTED IT TO BEING something evil, because it is NOT evil....it may have parts that need improving on, but it is not evil to want a system that covers ALL HUMAN BEINGS...

it IS EVIL to want a system that DOES NOT....again, imho.

care

Jesus spoke at length about helping others. He never said squat about the government mandating charity. Being forced to help others destroys the goodness inherent in doing so. There's nothing noble about giving to others at the point of a gun.

Last edited:

I have no doubt that the lack of national health insurance kills a lot more Americans than 45,000.

We are the only industrialized nation on earth without national health insurance. Why? Because our Congress is controlled by greedy corporations who would rather have people die than to give up their incredibly lucrative business of making money off of sick people.

Data for year 2000: LINK

deathq.jpg

Statistics are fun. Statistics put numbers like 45,000 in perspective when you compare them to numbers like 2,000,000.

How many of the above deaths, or even the 45,000, would not have occurred if they had proper medical care?

How many of the above deaths not have to happen if those claimed 45,000 would give up their six packs of Bud, and two packs of cigs a day habit?

Last edited:
Ame®icano;1532806 said:
Data for year 2000: LINK

deathq.jpg

Statistics are fun. Statistics put numbers like 45,000 in perspective when you compare them to numbers like 2,000,000.

How many of the above deaths, or even the 45,000, would not have occurred if they had proper medical care?

How many of the above deaths not have to happen if those claimed 45,000 would give up their six packs of Bud, and two packs of cigs a day habit?

The solution appears to be rather obvious...we don't need better health care...we need free marijuana.

Here is the same story released by the Baltimore Business Journal

The study was released by Physicians for a National Health Program, an organization that favors a single-payer system. It takes into account socioeconomics, health behaviors and baseline health. The bottom line is that the uninsured are more likely to go without the kind of care that can save their life.

The study was released, not conducted by... ... organization that favors a single-payer system.

I would really like to know who financed this study, just to be sure there is no bias.

Ame®icano;1532617 said:
Ame®icano;1532595 said:

Right or wrong?

Old Rocks is the Marxist on this board. He has a habit of doing stuff like that. His stupidity comes out everytime he posts.

Ame®icano;1532617 said:

Old Rocks is the Marxist on this board. He has a habit of doing stuff like that. His stupidity comes out everytime he posts.

So I noticed...

Ame®icano;1532617 said:

The old McCarthism bullshit again.

Everyone who is smarter than you, you call a Marxist.

Ame®icano;1532856 said:

Here is the same story released by the Baltimore Business Journal

The study was released by Physicians for a National Health Program, an organization that favors a single-payer system. It takes into account socioeconomics, health behaviors and baseline health. The bottom line is that the uninsured are more likely to go without the kind of care that can save their life.

The study was released, not conducted by... ... organization that favors a single-payer system.

I would really like to know who financed this study, just to be sure there is no bias.

Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance.

Why?

Because it is a better system than ours.

There is no one dying because they lack health care. Have you ever heard of the hypocratic oath, no one can be denied care because they don't have insurance, or the means to pay for it, they show up in our emergency rooms get the needed treatment, operations, treatment for cancer ect. Ever heard of medicaid, that's what they get. You have obviously bought into the hype of the month club.

If people were dying every day your liberal media would be all over that like a wet blanket in order to sell Obama's plan, their silent on this meaning it doesn't happen. Dream on you little la la liberal land dreamer. :lol::lol:
Apparently, they are all over it.

What regulatory agencies are in charge of healthcare there?

They do not regulate it, healthcare provision here is private but the government is a universal insurer so that private insurance has to actually think about providing service rather than mining profit. Everyone has insurance so can move from job to job, but if they want to top up for a room with flowers (which I got in public insurance) they can.

Any actuary, any honest one, will tell you the more people in a plan, the more the risk is spread, the more effective that plan is, for everyone. If there is a plan that covers everyone, it will be the most cost effective writ large.

The bottom line is this, the US pays more for less, and you really need to calm down and ask why?

There's the reason we pay more, we have agencies that have to be bribed, enforce products even if they are inferior, etc.. What you have is healthy competition, which drives costs down and forces companies to improve their products or services in order to make a profit.

Determining that Medicare couldn't negotiate for best drug prices was about the dumbest move I could imagine...about the only drug I ever take is 800 mg Ibuprofen which requires a prescription (costing what, I have no clue) and I'd guess would cost around 50 cents per pill...I get mine in Mexico where they write a prescription for free and I get a bottle of 100 for about $2.50.

Determining that Medicare couldn't negotiate for best drug prices was about the dumbest move I could imagine...about the only drug I ever take is 800 mg Ibuprofen which requires a prescription (costing what, I have no clue) and I'd guess would cost around 50 cents per pill...I get mine in Mexico where they write a prescription for free and I get a bottle of 100 for about $2.50.

What you pay is not what the actual price is, right now because of the raiding of Medicare the tax payers pay the rest.

Forum List

Back