No Need for Universal Health Care in US

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Having no health insurance means an early death to almost 45,000 people in the United States annually – almost two-and-a-half times the number previously estimated -– according to a study published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health.

The research team used the latest figures from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) to update previous calculations based on 20-year-old data. They tracked 9,004 uninsured individuals ages 17-64.

The study included special “oversamples” of African Americans and Mexicans -– who were found to die at about the same rate as their white counterparts.

“Although blacks and Hispanics are more likely to end up uninsured, racial differences in the percentages of deaths was not statistically significant,” lead author Dr. Andrew Wilper said in an interview.

In essence, he said, once people are uninsured “they are in the same boat” –- a boat in which 3 percent will succumb each year from lack of care.

For the last 50+ years the right has fought to stop any kind of universal health care to include Medicare and Medicaid. Fortunately they lost on those, but they still are fighting to protect their friends in the Medical Insurance industry.

How many more Americans must die before we finally act like a civilized society? For those who say "socialized medicine" pull your head out of your butts. What is being proposed is not socialized medicine, but since you have coverage who gives a shit about those dying because they can't afford to pay the Death Panels from United, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana, etc.

Harvard Study: 45,000 Uninsured Die Every Year - NAM

This is a sad commentary on the morals of this nation. Not only do tens of thousands die for lack of care in this nation, but hundreds of thousands go bankrupt yearly because of medical bills. We are the only industrial nation in which this is the case. Worse yet, over 50% of those going bankrupt because of medical bills, actually have insurance.

If we were number one in longevity, health in old age, and infant mortality, perhaps we could excuse these numbers. But we lag behind not only industrial nations in these figures, but even some poor nations such as Costa Rica in these numbers.

Tens of thousands are too lazy to fill out paperwork? That is sad.

Perhaps they are too sick to pick up the pen?

And if they could pick up the pen their private US insurance company would then say "if you can pick this pen up you are not sick enough to be covered."

Having no health insurance means an early death to almost 45,000 people in the United States annually – almost two-and-a-half times the number previously estimated -– according to a study published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health.

The research team used the latest figures from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) to update previous calculations based on 20-year-old data. They tracked 9,004 uninsured individuals ages 17-64.

The study included special “oversamples” of African Americans and Mexicans -– who were found to die at about the same rate as their white counterparts.

“Although blacks and Hispanics are more likely to end up uninsured, racial differences in the percentages of deaths was not statistically significant,” lead author Dr. Andrew Wilper said in an interview.

In essence, he said, once people are uninsured “they are in the same boat” –- a boat in which 3 percent will succumb each year from lack of care.

For the last 50+ years the right has fought to stop any kind of universal health care to include Medicare and Medicaid. Fortunately they lost on those, but they still are fighting to protect their friends in the Medical Insurance industry.

How many more Americans must die before we finally act like a civilized society? For those who say "socialized medicine" pull your head out of your butts. What is being proposed is not socialized medicine, but since you have coverage who gives a shit about those dying because they can't afford to pay the Death Panels from United, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana, etc.

Harvard Study: 45,000 Uninsured Die Every Year - NAM

There is no one dying because they lack health care. Have you ever heard of the hypocratic oath, no one can be denied care because they don't have insurance, or the means to pay for it, they show up in our emergency rooms get the needed treatment, operations, treatment for cancer ect. Ever heard of medicaid, that's what they get. You have obviously bought into the hype of the month club.

If people were dying every day your liberal media would be all over that like a wet blanket in order to sell Obama's plan, their silent on this meaning it doesn't happen. Dream on you little la la liberal land dreamer. :lol::lol:

This is a sad commentary on the morals of this nation. Not only do tens of thousands die for lack of care in this nation, but hundreds of thousands go bankrupt yearly because of medical bills. We are the only industrial nation in which this is the case. Worse yet, over 50% of those going bankrupt because of medical bills, actually have insurance.

If we were number one in longevity, health in old age, and infant mortality, perhaps we could excuse these numbers. But we lag behind not only industrial nations in these figures, but even some poor nations such as Costa Rica in these numbers.

Is this known as fear mongering? I thought only the right did it.

And if they could pick up the pen their private US insurance company would then say "if you can pick this pen up you are not sick enough to be covered."

You know they have pateint advocates in hospitals that will not only pick up the pen they will fill out the whole damn form for you. Get freggin real.

PEOPLE ARE DYING EVERY DAY,because they have no health insurance,OH NOOOOOO, yet ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC SAY NOTHING ABOUT THIS, interview no one, not even family members. Maybe they have not figured out how to interview the dead person. yet:lol::lol:

You libs are soooooooooooooooooo NAIVE.

I am not actually a liberal on many issues, hell get me on the battle field against Islamo Fascism and I get quite Neo Liberal.

But then I know military men have universal, government funded health care.

I wonder why that is?

There is no one dying because they lack health care.

This is the single most idiotic statement I've ever read in my time on USMB -- and I've read a lot of shit by Sunni Man, Agnes, Pale Rider, Eots, Terral and Shogun.

Scenario that happens all too often:

Person A has no healthcare because his job doesn't provide it for him. He has chest pains, but ignores them because he can't afford all of the tests and can't afford to go to a doctor. One day he's driving home and has a heart attack and dies.

Person B has no healthcare because they're unemployed and cannot afford private health insurance. Person B has diabetes but does not realize it. One day Person B goes into kidney failure and dies.

Person C had healthcare but their insurance company canceled their coverage because person C kept going over the maximum limit of medical costs allowed per year. They die of cancer.

How common are the above scnearios among the un-insured?

VERY.

Maple, I'm sorry but you are not in touch with the real world. No hippocratic oath is going to get somebody into a doctor's office for preventative care.

You know they have pateint advocates in hospitals that will not only pick up the pen they will fill out the whole damn form for you. Get freggin real.

PEOPLE ARE DYING EVERY DAY,because they have no health insurance,OH NOOOOOO, yet ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC SAY NOTHING ABOUT THIS, interview no one, not even family members. Maybe they have not figured out how to interview the dead person. yet:lol::lol:

You are right and you are wrong. Yes, most people will receive care, but it won't always be the best care with the best chance for survival. For instance, when my late wife was being treated for leukemia, she needed a stem cell transplant. There were others in the hospital with leukemia who needed the same transplant, but one of them lacked insurance. This woman had the same form of leukemia as my wife. She was told that they would continue treating her with chemo, but she would not get a transplant because it cost too much. She died within a two months. My wife received her transplant but relapsed. She lasted ten months.

The bigger problem is the fact that many without coverage will put off going to the doctor when they know something isn't right, because they know they can't pay for it. Then finally, when things get really bad, they go, but it is too late. A person's best chance for survival in the case of diseases like cancer is early treatment. Many people, knowing they can't pay, just hope that it's nothing. By the time they find out it is more than nothing, their chance for survival has taken some very bad odds. But heh, as long as the emergency room treats them, they'll be fine, right?

I am not actually a liberal on many issues, hell get me on the battle field against Islamo Fascism and I get quite Neo Liberal.

But then I know military men have universal, government funded health care.

I wonder why that is?

May be it has something to do with the initials GI (Government Issue). Kinda does it for me.

May be it has something to do with the initials GI (Government Issue). Kinda does it for me.

I can tell you now I out cashed Johnny Cash when I melted into the Navy Johnny Cash uniform.

I turned black into the new Frogen.

It is a US Navy, sexy, I look so good in this I think it should have been my womb kinda thing.

On the other hand I looked pretty mundane in the cracker jack.

Though I did have the biggest tallywacker going.

It is a US Navy, sexy, I look so good in this I think it should have been my womb kinda thing.

I'm former Navy and other than cracker jack and tallywacker I have no idea what you are talking about. Two thirds of the time I was in whites, the other third in utilities, Rodman Naval Support Activity.

I'm former Navy and other than cracker jack and tallywacker I have no idea what you are talking about. Two thirds of the time I was in whites, the other third in utilities, Rodman Naval Support Activity.

Winter Working Blue.

All black, with a black tie. (They call black Navy Blue, this is known as black humour.)

It is all right, I served with some people who did not even know they were in the Navy and could not swim.

Life is a carnival.

Last edited:

Never herd of the working winter blue?

All black, with a black tie.

I had my crackerjacks (dress blues), work and dress whites, Navy and Marine utilities.

Never herd of the working winter blue?

All black, with a black tie.

I had my crackerjacks (dress blues), work and dress whites, Navy and Marine utilities.

Good thing you never went through a seabag inspection.

Forum List

Back